Disc Harrow

I’m looking for suggestions. I would like some implement to establish catch crops in cereal stubbles. Something that would do the job in one pass and that would be eligible for a TAMS grant.I have a Stocks slug pellet applicator which is front mounted but I think some sort of air or other type of seeder would be more suitable for catch crops, especially phacelia and vetche mix.I was thinking of a Palatine grass harrow but was told the tines are too close together and would gather up straw. Thanks for any help.
I was thinking the same even though I don't have catch crops in my plan, was going to try a few MF drills with different coulter types at maximum depth setting. Ground is probably bit hard but will be interesting to see if I can raise soil. After Harrow might need to be lifted permanently to prevent stubble dragging.
MF30

I’m looking for suggestions. I would like some implement to establish catch crops in cereal stubbles. Something that would do the job in one pass and that would be eligible for a TAMS grant.I have a Stocks slug pellet applicator which is front mounted but I think some sort of air or other type of seeder would be more suitable for catch crops, especially phacelia and vetche mix.I was thinking of a Palatine grass harrow but was told the tines are too close together and would gather up straw. Thanks for any help.

I don't think a spring tine harrow like you suggest is eligible under TAMS in any case unless you are organic

Don't know what your budget is but any 3m disc harrow like an Amazone Catros, Rolmako, Vaderstad Carrier or Horsch (like Daniel's one above) will do the job fine.

Last edited:
I don't think a spring tine harrow like you suggest is eligible under TAMS in any case unless you are organic

Don't know what your budget is but any 3m disc harrow like an Amazone Catros, Rolmako, Vaderstad Carrier or Horsch (like Daniel's one above) will do the job fine.

This quest is worthy a thread of its own or at least be linked in with some of the other disc threads.
There's members on here with various different types and makes of discs.

A disc is a great tool imv, add a set levelling tines and a sower on the back, itll be a very useful machine to have.

Last edited:
This quest is worthy a thread of its own or at least be linked in with some of the other disc threads.
There's members on here with various different types and makes of discs.

A disc is a great tool imv, add a set levelling tines and a sower on the back, itll be a very useful machine to have.

Done @ithastopay, good suggestion.

Maybe not the best thread but probably better than where it was :Thumbp2:

I thought this was very good value for those with a smaller 4cyl tractor.
https://www.donedeal.ie/harrows-for-sale/tolmet-disc-harrow/19877290

NzI1MDIyMzhjZGQ4NDc5Mjc2Zjg2ZDUzZDU0ZmE2ZmKoBNRSw2E_MA-Y5VZDnlVOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDk0Mjg4Njl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Maybe I'm missing something though?

I was told last week by someone who bought one that they're around €7k new, less 40% TAMS and then you wouldn't be far off the mark.
That’s roughly how it worked out for the 3m one here but the 3m would have a slightly heavier frame too so I’d say that version might be coming in shy of 7
I suppose whoever is selling that has paid the grant back..
It’s a machinery dealer has it up and if you check his other adds he has it up for hire 3 days earlier so Its kinda hard to know

I picked up the 3M Tolmet a few months ago and I am very impressed. Anyone that says it isn’t heavy enough is talking out of their backside.
A number of people have commented to me about the machine and have been very impressed with the results.
I can see a few of them being purchased in my area.
I would have been an idiot to have spent over 10k on one with a well known name on it.

Grazing and silage ground. Spraying off then discing. No Ploughing.

Last edited:
It’s not the HP, it’s the weight of the tractor. Bigger and heavier the better so you can pull up hills or drive without the front two wheels being of the ground.

Currently looking at a kverneland clc evo and tulip vario xl with the view of starting some min til where suitable. Both machines will be 3m mounted.

Tried the clc out yesterday, did a pretty good job of mashing up cover crop. This is the one with the 2 rows of discs on the pack, which we found out since is not eligible for tams as it needs to have a packer roller, but there is a roller available so not a complete disaster.

Have seen the tulip working, does a good job in fairness, but from people’s experiences with these, or even similar machines, which would you go for to start out min til?

Like the look of the lely, looks compact with the option of lifting legs to use discs only, the evo with a packer looks like it only has one row of discs , would the ripper legs on the evo be more inclined to bring up stones...? If build quality and cost isn't an issue with either I would go with the lely.....

Build quaility on both is very good, the Lely is a much heavier machine, by nearly a ton I think. Yea to have a packer roller on the clc you have to sacrifice a row of discs.
We brought the clc to the roughest place we have and it did a tidy job, didnt notice many stones appearing. Only solution is to have the 2 in the 1 field and compare I reckon.

Isn't The KV an awful length of a machine? Would you need more weight up front with It?

I'm surprised The Tulip Is As heavy to Be honest!

We use a horch joker with the 5 leg tg bar. Find one run into stubble does a good job. The kverneland was considered but the boss went with the horsch as you can separate the two and just go with the disc

View attachment 59033
I had seen you post that pic before, it was one of the main reasons we got one out for a few days. Did a good job in fairness but hard to justify the money difference against the others

Isn't The KV an awful length of a machine? Would you need more weight up front with It?

I'm surprised The Tulip Is As heavy to Be honest!

The cs130 picked it up with no front weight and handled it no bother. Doesnt feel any longer than a 5 furrow hanging off the back.

I had seen you post that pic before, it was one of the main reasons we got one out for a few days. Did a good job in fairness but hard to justify the money difference against the others

All comes down to the price at the end of the day.

We use a horch joker with the 5 leg tg bar. Find one run into stubble does a good job. The kverneland was considered but the boss went with the horsch as you can separate the two and just go with the disc

View attachment 59033

I would have said the joker + TG bar is the ultimate mounted min-till cultivator. Not far behind the vaderstad topdown in terms of quality of work imo. Is the joker much more expensive than the competition?

Just wondering did anyone on this ever buy a metal-Fach disc harrow or what do people think off them it’s a 3m one for the lift arms about 1920kg. Also did anyone ever put an air seeder on a disc and is it any good for settting grass seed or dose it leave lines. Thanks

What are people's views on lemken Rubin? They seem like a decent weight as well. Got a lad to disc chopped straw one year with one, I thought it did a fantastic job. He replaced it with a maschio after many years..

Back