Tractor batteries

massey 6480

Can't find the thread on batteries so started this one . Lads what do ye recommend to put on the battery connections to stop them corroding.

Normal grease is not very conducive so it actually makes a poorer connection. I use Vaseline here

You don't really want it to be conducive as you only put it on after the connection is tight. Vaseline is what is recommended but I'd use white spray grease or normal grease either

Bicarbonate of soda, baking soda, in warm water makes it way easier and quicker to clean.

Last edited:
If the battery is outside the tractor like under a step the simplest way to stop that corrosion is pour a bit of oil over the terminals. The Volvo here used give endless trouble and nothing could stop the clamps corroding until the brother poured used oil over them. Just do that a couple of times a year and you'll have no more bother.

Ended up sticking 2 new connections on the leads . One broke taking them off so replaced the 2 . There not dear think e7 for the pair . Cleaned off the battery with a wire brush .

Ended up sticking 2 new connections on the leads . One broke taking them off so replaced the 2 . There not dear think e7 for the pair . Cleaned off the battery with a wire brush .
While you're at it check if there's a rubber mat under the battery. It's been proven to prolong the life of a battery against vibrations. Have them under everything here and I've got a few batteries with unbelievable years on them.
MF30

The Bateman has a 655 battery in it, very little room for much bigger, and a JD 6920 engine, it is no more than up to it.
It has a black Varta 125Ah, 720cca battery in it at the moment, any recommendation on a more powerful replacement, can't be much bigger.
TIA

Last edited:
Thanks for that, is there anyone selling those Yuasa 640shd batteries in Ireland?
If not will look for a generic 642.

Thanks for that, is there anyone selling those Yuasa 640shd batteries in Ireland?
If not will look for a generic 642.
Bought one in Enniscorthy the other day for €125. Never noticed the SHD on it but it's definitely a 115ah and 1000cca.

Got a 622 version of that about two months, it had to go back since as it started to leak out of one of the cells down the block. Never saw that before. Another 622 on it now and it is fine so not an alternator problem.
When i was working in a motor factors you might get 1 in maybe 70 batterys back with something like that

Bought one in Enniscorthy the other day for €125. Never noticed the SHD on it but it's definitely a 115ah and 1000cca.
Thanks for that, I picked up one today, a good bit smaller than the 655 but is an improvement. Didn't fully sort the problem may add a direct earth from the battery to the starter and check the other wiring.

Back