Feed/meal silo with auger

€2800 including VAT spirofeed Mallow

Are you sure on that price ?
I enquired at the McAree stand about a 6 ton bin. I was more interested in the square bin with the opening lid. You can put your own barley or put straights in it.
I think he told me 3400 plus vat for the square one , and €2700 plus vat for the round bin.

imo if i was buying any sized bin i would only buy a bin you could put straights in to either with a loader or better still a bin with a seperate hopper which you could tip half ton in to at the time and this hopper be augered in to bin
There is one you fill with loader here but probably pricey
http://www.condonengineering.ie/meal-bin/
If you had no home saved grains what would be the advantage of that type of bin tho? For 90% of lads a sealed bin would be fine.

Ya but that's 15 more than collect it. It's probably

It's 15 more or maybe 20 in places. Buts that comparing it to the collected price. It's probably a tenner a ton delivered in a tipper.

That's what I was wondering, makes more sense if there charging €5 extra for the blower compared to tipping it

I enquired at the McAree stand about a 6 ton bin. I was more interested in the square bin with the opening lid. You can put your own barley or put straights in it.
I think he told me 3400 plus vat for the square one , and €2700 plus vat for the round bin.
Most definitely I wrote the cheque less than a month ago for one of them and they even took down my old bin and moved it to another place and stood the new one as well, I couldn't fault them

Do concrete floor stores pass QA inspection for all feed still?

I don't see why not?
Most grain is stored on concrete floors, on tillage farms and by merchants and millers.

Grass silage, whole crop silage, maize silage, crimped grains, beet and any number of other feedstuffs are stored on concrete.
Most cattle being fed by a diet feeder are fed either on a concrete passage or into a concrete trough.

Isn't the whole thing some heap of bollix, when some gobshite, with somewhere between little and no knowledge of the daily workings of a farm or indeed any business is making up rules and regulations.

Do these people actually think we are completely incompetent?

If the same nonsense was to be applied to shops or indeed our homes what would happen?

any to fill a diet feeder will be high, so that would rule out filling with a bucket unless you had a teleported?

Did you price an auger fill system? Or will you just buy blown in?

A 10 or 12 ton bin wouldnt be much dearer that that 6 ton bin either. Very little extra sheeting and the same amount of work to fabricate.

The 12 T spiorfeed bin here cost 2300 plus vat 2 years ago

how much meal per mix do you usually feed? if its between 200 and 400kgs id imagine the auger will fire that out quicker than youll change the bucket, think its a 3 inch auger in the parlour at home and it put out about 300kgs in 10minutes, its not running full either cause the drive belts are about 10 years old and slack. so a 6inch would take 5 minutes or so to move 400kgs? you could have the mixer running while filling too.

Would you be able to fill the square bin with a tractor and loader do it looked high looking up at it beside it

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have it on my mind to invest in a small meal bin for the farm in Galway. Would be using 3 to 4 fills a year (12 to 16 ton in total - but that's 24 to 30 trips to the merchant with the half ton bin and my time is limited and valuable). We can avail of Tams for a grant for it.
Have it on my mind to buy a square bin with an opening lid which might allow us the flexibility to buy locally grown barley down the line.

Anyone got any prices lately on a 4 to 5 ton bin? Is it worth going for a square bin or should we be looking at a spiral one? No auger or anything fancy needed with it!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have it on my mind to invest in a small meal bin for the farm in Galway. Would be using 3 to 4 fills a year (12 to 16 ton in total - but that's 24 to 30 trips to the merchant with the half ton bin and my time is limited and valuable). We can avail of Tams for a grant for it.
Have it on my mind to buy a square bin with an opening lid which might allow us the flexibility to buy locally grown barley down the line.

Anyone got any prices lately on a 4 to 5 ton bin? Is it worth going for a square bin or should we be looking at a spiral one? No auger or anything fancy needed with it!
I think you need to get planning permission for the grant on that. Would it be worth it then tho?

Someone correct me if i am wrong ,but my understanding you will only get tams grant for bin when you are putting in feeding system to parlour .Them square ones with opening lid are pricey but ideal for rolled barley

I think you need to get planning permission for the grant on that. Would it be worth it then tho?

Someone correct me if i am wrong ,but my understanding you will only get tams grant for bin when you are putting in feeding system to parlour .Them square ones with opening lid are pricey but ideal for rolled barley

I put in a bin and feeders last March,no planning required for the grant,
There’s no grant for the bin without the feeding system.

No planning is required so long as it is compliant with planning rules.

Something has changed with the grant - on last week's farmer's journal there was an article about a beef farmer who had upgraded his system. The article claimed that he got a Tams grant for a new stand alone meal bin. My planner is working on the details for me!

I think that's right. No grant unless with parlour feeders. The square bin with opening lid is nearly double the price of a round bin.

I put in a bin and feeders last March,no planning required for the grant,
There’s no grant for the bin without the feeding system.

I am in the process of applying for the grant for bin and feeders etc. I think if bin is within 10 m of public road planning may be necessary ?

You used to be able to get grant for a bin separately, and feeders next year , if that suited you , but not anymore. All together , and not at all for drystock which makes no sense.

I think that's right. No grant unless with parlour feeders. The square bin with opening lid is nearly double the price of a round bin.

I am in the process of applying for the grant for bin and feeders etc. I think if bin is within 10 m of public road planning may be necessary ?

You used to be able to get grant for a bin separately, and feeders next year , if that suited you , but not anymore. All together , and not at all for drystock which makes no sense.

Planning is dependent on the size of the bin, it's height, it's proximity to a dwelling and it's proximity to a road. It's also dependent on any special criteria that has been placed on your property.
I'll find out if I can get the grant and report back here - it might be useful to some others to know.

A bin isn’t considered a permanent structure so no planning required,my bin is within 3 meters of a public road.

Not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. I did a 3 prong research on this - email to Tams section, email to planner and email to the guy that wrote the article in the IFJ. The author got back to me by email overnight to say that he genuinely believed that you could get a grant for it, but when he researched it, he found out that you have to be putting it into a dairy feed system as outlined above.

Back to the drawing board so.

Not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. I did a 3 prong research on this - email to Tams section, email to planner and email to the guy that wrote the article in the IFJ. The author got back to me by email overnight to say that he genuinely believed that you could get a grant for it, but when he researched it, he found out that you have to be putting it into a dairy feed system as outlined above.

Back to the drawing board so.
SoSo the lad in the journal got it wrong?
A bit disappointing isnt it but they are cheap enough in reality . youd get a 6 tonne for sub 2k.

SoSo the lad in the journal got it wrong?
A bit disappointing isnt it but they are cheap enough in reality . youd get a 6 tonne for sub 2k.

Yea, he emailed me last night to say that he had made a mistake.

With the grant, I could have gotten a 6 ton one sub €1000.

Will have to just do some research and weigh it up to see what the best option is,

Back