Ford Focus

muckymanor

I know that a couple of you lads have a ford focus so you might be able to give me some information.

A girl that I work with is thinking about buying a 2011 diesel hatchback. It's a 1.6 and 89bhp. It will be used for a short commute and just general driving around her home area. Is there anything to watch out for in a car like this? Any known problems? It has low mileage (~90k km). Is there a major difference between the 89bhp and the 109bhp for fuel economy (Obviously the 89bhp will have less kick to it - but that doesn't bother her too much).

Would it have a timing belt or a timing chain?

Any info appreciated.

It has a belt, and based on recent experience I'd be changing it unless proven to be done.

they're an engine that need to be serviced well, can give trouble with turbo oil feeds clogging, injector pumps, glow plugs and timing belts.

If serviced properly they're fine, probably the most common engine on the roads these days, but if not be wary.

Have a 13 reg which I think is the same model.

It sounds to me a petrol would be more suited for what it's doing but giving budget that won't happen.

My view is they are the best diesel of that generation.

They need to be driven hard to prevent any clogging and by that I was told 100-120 in fourth gear.

Be happy enough with mine, getting about 4.2l/100km out of it on a mix of driving.

Have a 13 reg which I think is the same model.

It sounds to me a petrol would be more suited for what it's doing but giving budget that won't happen.

My view is they are the best diesel of that generation.

They need to be driven hard to prevent any clogging and by that I was told 100-120 in fourth gear.

Be happy enough with mine, getting about 4.2l/100km out of it on a mix of driving.
Have a 2.0 ST Diesel, touch wood in two years since I’ve had it it’s been faultless but as you say for the driving you describe petrol would probably be better like this one https://www.facebook.com/530460047119745/posts/983564225142656/ the same dealer I bought mine from.

Great cars but need to be looked after. The older 1.8 TDCi was a much livelier engine and one I miss driving if I'm honest.
Dads 2014 focus is a 1.6 TDCi 95PS which is ok but bit dead. Great on fuel and returns an average of 4.7 l/100km. My 1.5 TDCi 120PS would run rings around it and averages 4.6 l/100km which is great :Thumbp2:

For short stop start journey's the person in question would be better off with a petrol IMO. Diesels need to be worked.

Great cars but need to be looked after. The older 1.8 TDCi was a much livelier engine and one I miss driving if I'm honest.
Dads 2014 focus is a 1.6 TDCi 95PS which is ok but bit dead. Great on fuel and returns an average of 4.7 l/100km. My 1.5 TDCi 120PS would run rings around it and averages 4.6 l/100km which is great :Thumbp2:

For short stop start journey's the person in question would be better off with a petrol IMO. Diesels need to be worked.

I have a 2016 2.0L VW Jetta, filled her today, 35.61 L and there was 745.1km since the last fill, that would work out at 4.78 L/100km, the fuel consumption on the dash for today reads 4.4L/100KM, would them figures above not be considered poor for the size of engine. I had a 1.6L Golf out for two days on trial before I got the Jetta and you have to work them really hard to get any kind of go. The 2.0L is a pleasure to drive compared to the 1.6L

I have a 2016 2.0L VW Jetta, filled her today, 35.61 L and there was 745.1km since the last fill, that would work out at 4.78 L/100km, the fuel consumption on the dash for today reads 4.4L/100KM, would them figures above not be considered poor for the size of engine. I had a 1.6L Golf out for two days on trial before I got the Jetta and you have to work them really hard to get any kind of go. The 2.0L is a pleasure to drive compared to the 1.6L

MPG or L/100km is very much dependent on both how you drive the car and where you drive it. My Mrs had my scenic before me and she was getting 6.4l/100km out of it. She was doing 200km per day on narrow roads with a lot of speeding up and slowing down. Since I started driving it, it's doing 5.4l/100km. Most of my miles are on a National primary Route. My average speed is 59km/hr whereas her average speed was 48km/hr. If my father has my car for a week tipping around from home o town or around the town then fuel economy gets poor also.

Have a 132 focus here. English car 1.6 diseal 116 (I think hp) with 96k mile and has never given bother. Go for the zetec engine in my view and drop the boot every so often. They are cheep to run and service.

Will any of you focus drivers be tempted to go for the new ford petrol 1 litre, 130bhp in your next focus?

We had a ford c max hired when in Spain on holidays a few weeks ago. 1 litre engine. Serious machine on the road with massive power, especially on the motorway. Big heavy car, so I imagine it would be a whole lot better on the smaller focus.

And the best bit. We covered 990km in the week and went to fill her up just before bringing her back to the hire place. €47 of petrol at €1.48/litre. No diesel would do that. Imagine what it would be like in the smaller focus

Will any of you focus drivers be tempted to go for the new ford petrol 1 litre, 130bhp in your next focus?

We had a ford c max hired when in Spain on holidays a few weeks ago. 1 litre engine. Serious machine on the road with massive power, especially on the motorway. Big heavy car, so I imagine it would be a whole lot better on the smaller focus.

And the best bit. We covered 990km in the week and went to fill her up just before bringing her back to the hire place. €47 of petrol at €1.48/litre. No diesel would do that. Imagine what it would be like in the smaller focus

I'd think sales of those in Ireland will be small. Most will buy on cc!!

Plus at the moment, new car sales are being dealt a blow with all of these used imports coming in from the UK!

I'd think sales of those in Ireland will be small. Most will buy on cc!!

Plus at the moment, new car sales are being dealt a blow with all of these used imports coming in from the UK!
I wouldn’t be so sure, history shows in Ireland people buying new cars want a particular make and model, petrol or diesel and they want it in x colour. The spec tends to be bog standard or whatever the dealer has in stock. Not many seem to be bothered what engine they go for in whichever fuel they choose. It’ll depend on the dealer as to wether they sell many of these engines imo...

when I bought my current golf I knew before I even started looking I was going to be buying an English car because I can’t stand the Irish spec, any Irish car was a 1.6 diesel with the plastic steering wheel and cloths seats. Look at the English market for the same model and 70% were 2.0ltr with a quarter of them having heated leather seats and another good proportion of them having the nicer suede type cloth seat, and all have the leather steering wheel

We covered 990km in the week and went to fill her up just before bringing her back to the hire place. €47 of petrol at €1.48/litre. No diesel would do that. Imagine what it would be like in the smaller focus
€47 @ €1.48/litre =31.75litres or near enough 7 gallons in old speak, 990km is near enough 600miles, there is no way a petrol car as you describe it big and heavy with massive power did 85 mpg

€47 @ €1.48/litre =31.75litres or near enough 7 gallons in old speak, 990km is near enough 600miles, there is no way a petrol car as you describe it big and heavy with massive power did 85 mpg
Ah but mucky never said if he filled it a few times during his weeks holiday. :rolleyes2:

Irish people buy primarily based on motortax. we were a nation of 1.4s before 08 and a nation of diesels after.

These small petrol turbo engines are great, I hire cars a good bit in work and get all sorts. have had a couple of teeny engines with loads of poke. I struggled a bit with the economy on some, being petrols they do love to rev, and john's a silly silly boy.

Havent had the 130 horse ford yet but had the next spec down in a few fiestas, savage yokes. flogged a 1l golf round scotland a few months back too, it loved going hard.

Irish people buy primarily based on motortax. we were a nation of 1.4s before 08 and a nation of diesels after.

These small petrol turbo engines are great, I hire cars a good bit in work and get all sorts. have had a couple of teeny engines with loads of poke. I struggled a bit with the economy on some, being petrols they do love to rev, and john's a silly silly boy.

Havent had the 130 horse ford yet but had the next spec down in a few fiestas, savage yokes. flogged a 1l golf round scotland a few months back too, it loved going hard.
Have driven the new civic which has a 1 or 1.1 petrol in it and it was a flyer, couldn't believe the engine was so small.

Drove a 1.2 petrol qashqai a few years ago in the UK though and the couch at home would have more poke in it.

I think they are coming on in leaps and bounds though

Back