Grass Measurement

Fuiseog

Hi All,

New to this forum.

I've just completed a Springboard course with DCU.

The essence of the course was to come up with and develop a business idea, using ICT.

My idea centres around providing grass measurements to dairy farmers using satellite data.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum, who measures their grass regularly, is willing to share their numbers with me to help develop the machine learning algorithm I am trying to create?

What I would require for each reading is Date of Measurement, Measurement, and Location of Measurement.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

Hi All,

New to this forum.

The essence of the course was to come up with and develop a business idea, using ICT.

My idea centres around providing grass measurements to dairy farmers using satellite data.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum, who measures their grass regularly, is willing to share their numbers with me to help develop the machine learning algorithm I am trying to create?

What I would require for each reading is Date of Measurement, Measurement, and Location of Measurement.

Thanks in advance,

Philip
I might be interested. Seen a bit of it done on trial in UK farms recently.

Hi All,

New to this forum.

Thanks in advance,

Philip
Sounds a great idea all the best with it

What tools would a falla need to measure grass growth and how does it work?

To begin with, if you want to learn a bit about measuring, understanding covers etc, one of these is all you need. You basically stick it in the grass in a number of areas in a field and measure the grass height to the gradients on the stick. The stick will give you a reading of kg/ha. You get an average and work from there. You can estimate how much your cattle will eat per day and work out a field's measurement and therefore you can calculate how many days of feeding you have in grass for your cattle. You can google for figures on how much different size cattle or sheep will eat per day.

No point in spending a big pile of money on measuring equipment until you learn the basics of it first IMO.

ChXrHT9WgAAKcAS.jpg

How do I calculate the amount of feeding in that field then I mean what do i multiply by etc goggle it?

So how Many of ye measure grass on a weekly basis and is it a job worth doing? I think these plate meters for measuring are in and around €800 but maybe they are worth it I dunno.

So how Many of ye measure grass on a weekly basis and is it a job worth doing? I think these plate meters for measuring are in and around €800 but maybe they are worth it I dunno.
I find ypud be doing it grand and then the week gets hectic and you keep putting it off and eventually you forget about it and leave it alone. I stopped measuring when the dry weather came and grass stopped growing and havent measured since. Last thing that does be on your mind.

Measure weekly here as much as possible. Don't use a plate meter, just visual measurement and recording on pasturebase. The grass wedge provides a good visual indicator of where growth is at and headed. the cows will let you know when your wrong if you estimate 3 grazings and only get two, at which point you'll learn from the experience.

IMO it's very important for grassland management since its your cheapest fodder source by long way.

ok ,up on milk with the same no of cows,fed no silage during the drought ,pumped a lot of meal in tho ,working on the paddock fertility over the last few yrs as part of the precision dairying project really paid off,great back end and a good milk price helped too

ok ,up on milk with the same no of cows,fed no silage during the drought ,pumped a lot of meal in tho ,working on the paddock fertility over the last few yrs as part of the precision dairying project really paid off,great back end and a good milk price helped too

How much was the grass growth back overall between the late spring and drought?

The 15t DM/ha will be scarce this year!!

What is the precision dairy project

Back