Stock Pictures

Holy cow!!!!!
Capture343-750x450.png
You'd need to be crossing her with a very low Belgian blue bull!

On a totally unrelated topic,
What is the plume of smoke or steam that is rising from the chimney on the sawmill site ?
It's a question that enters my feeble mind every time I pass by Laois Sawmill on the motorway.

I had occasion to be driving around Waterford on Sunday , in the Tramore , Kilmeaden area , and back up to Kilkenny. An eye opener to me how much rape is sowed in that part of the country . I was somewhat surprised that plenty of it has not had an animal let onto it yet. And the cattle arent still grazing grass. Most fields around here , at least , cleared in the last fortnight .I thought people would be trying to graze the rape before the new year .

The smoke is from the drying kiln, they burn sawdust or other waste to dry the timber.

I always assumed it was steam in the one in portlaoise anyway. How would the EPA let them away with producing that level of smoke?

I always assumed it was steam in the one in portlaoise anyway. How would the EPA let them away with producing that level of smoke?

Burning wood is carbon neutral. ie. In its years of growing, the tree removes as much co2 from the atmosphere as burning that tree produces.

Burning wood is carbon neutral. ie. In its years of growing, the tree removes as much co2 from the atmosphere as burning that tree produces.
It's actually carbon negative because some of the carbon is locked into the leaves which fall and contribute to the organic content of the soil.

CO2 is also a colourless gas. That's not CO2. I still wonder is it just steam. it's so white and so thick then just kindof dissapears of a shot. smoke would fade more I think.

I have lived beside it since the early eighties, the Deacons spent years on the farm here when young, I put out 2 fires caused by it malfunctioning, the son of my father's best friend died building it.
It is smoke.
The reason it is white is raw softwood is wet.

It must be a tough autumn/winter for pneumonia.

We had pneumonia this autumn at weaning and never had it before. We ended up treating 20 weanlings for it. There were only 3 displaying visible symptoms but the rest had high temps. It was the stress of weaning combined with some damp and murky but very warm days at the end of October. Cattle were sweating in the sheds and we have very open sheds. Thankfully we lost nothing and got it in time - loss of thrive was minimal due to quick action.

CO2 is also a colourless gas. That's not CO2. I still wonder is it just steam. it's so white and so thick then just kindof dissapears of a shot. smoke would fade more I think.
Smoke and CO₂ aren't the same thing. Nobody said it was CO₂.

Well now that answers that @JohnBoy so I think we can safely say it's not steam
I'd say if it's drying wood there would be a fair amount of steam mixed in it.

Was talking with a chap from N. Yorkshire yesterday, he said he'd lost a handful to pneumonia these last few weeks.

Back