Johnes

muckymanor

We have a cow isolated. She has been scoured for a number of months now, received treatment and still showing no signs of the scour drying up. She is a 10 year old. Always been fertile. Raised a calf this summer.

We operate a closed herd and only buy in breeding bulls. Could it be johnes? Can you do an ear notch test for it or is it just blood (can't do milk as she is dry this last month).

Is there really such a thing as a "closed herd"?. You buy in bulls so your herd is open cause who knows what they came in contact with before you bought them in a Mart or direct form farmer ! As for vets! well they are in my yard and then onto yours and then over to Joe blogs and let's face it they are not coming to see healthy animals So can't have a closed herd with different people in and out of your yard . As for Johnes it's going to be the new Bvd stick to beat us with

Looking at it online this morning, it looks highly likely that it is.
Bugger that!
Got a quote from your vet to test all females over 2 plus stock bulls, handiest at herd test time. If you have one cow with it her offspring probably have it too unfortunately. Not a nice disease

Is there really such a thing as a "closed herd"?. You buy in bulls so your herd is open cause who knows what they came in contact with before you bought them in a Mart or direct form farmer ! As for vets! well they are in my yard and then onto yours and then over to Joe blogs and let's face it they are not coming to see healthy animals So can't have a closed herd with different people in and out of your yard . As for Johnes it's going to be the new Bvd stick to beat us with
If someone establishes a link between Johnes and Crohns in humans it will be as bad as the mad cow disease was,if not worse.

Waiting ages for the blood test result on this girl. She is very quiet and out on grass on her own. I gave her a bolus 3 weeks ago and she has really filled out in that time. Its helped by the old man giving her a pinch of meal morning and night. I did think that if it was johnes she'd be impossible to put weight on - so I'm holding out some hope that the blood test will come back clear for her.

Waiting ages for the blood test result on this girl. She is very quiet and out on grass on her own. I gave her a bolus 3 weeks ago and she has really filled out in that time. Its helped by the old man giving her a pinch of meal morning and night. I did think that if it was johnes she'd be impossible to put weight on - so I'm holding out some hope that the blood test will come back clear for her.
normally a week or 10 days for results, I am in year 4 I think of the johnes scheme. Blood test everything over 2 years old at the tb test. The fact she has reached 10 years of age without showing any symptoms would be a good sign imo

normally a week or 10 days for results, I am in year 4 I think of the johnes scheme. Blood test everything over 2 years old at the tb test. The fact she has reached 10 years of age without showing any symptoms would be a good sign imo
Fingers crossed for her.
I'm assuming that you are in the johnes scheme because you had 1 with it?
Do many positives show up in the blood tests?

Think I had 10 positives last year. I bought in stock, disaster. I am hoping it will be down this year, I am working on it. I think the first question anyone should ask when buying in stock is have you ever had a jihnes positive in your herd . I know myself this is the first year when I cant actually see a johnes positive cow there, you'd normally have a skinny , skittery one . I am taking the guess work out by testing. Ok testing isnt 100% accurate but at least im doing something about it

Back