Jr perry

Some of the mechanics would have a good client base doing direct work for customers and wouldn't be far off retirement, same to see it go leaves 1 hour plus to the nearest NH dealer, some of the locals are starting to look at other colours for their next replacements.
Very hard for Perry's to compete with what Shaw is doing with ex-hire tractors, surprised NH allowed it to happen.
I don't think it's fair or accurate to blame Shaw for the demise of Perrys. A big loss to the area.

It's the mechanic fault. Doing the bare 40 hour week and then doing nixers the rest of the week. Perry's serviced hardly any combines for years. The boys do them all as nixers with perrys vans, tools, diesel etc etc...
I had heard there was a little more to the demise of Perry's alright.

Very true. Lyons and burton are thriving at a similar distance from shaws. I found the attitude of the management terrible after jr passed on.
Brendan Curtis will be sorely missed though !

I'm sorry to see Perry's have gone, many's an hour I spent there in my youth ogling all the new tractors and machines about the place.

I worked with an ex mechanic from Perry's a number of years ago and @stevieg 's sentence above would probably match word for word my ex workmates opinion.

Only for Brendan it would have closed long before now. Recognised far and wide as the best store man in the land.
I got better service and way better prices from Foster in Arklow . I priced a few new machines over the years and the asking price was ridiculous . Jenkinson was able to sell New Combines because he had a customer for the Good secondhand ones . When every 150acre farm around had a full fleet of tillage machinery they had a big enough customer base but once those farmers went contract or set their land their days were numbered .

I got better service and way better prices from Foster in Arklow . I priced a few new machines over the years and the asking price was ridiculous . Jenkinson was able to sell New Combines because he had a customer for the Good secondhand ones . When every 150acre farm around had a full fleet of tillage machinery they had a big enough customer base but once those farmers went contract or set their land their days were numbered .
If you got poor store service in Perrys you weren't dealing with Brendan Curtis. Machinery sales was another matter. There's a customer base for a large well run multi-agency machinery dealership to thrive in Athy.

If you got poor store service in Perrys you weren't dealing with Brendan Curtis. Machinery sales was another matter. There's a customer base for a large well run multi-agency machinery dealership to thrive in Athy.

Brendan seemed to know every part on the combine by me just simply explaining it. Seemed to know his stuff. Did annoy me a few years ago I was doing a big job on the combine in January and ordered parts and was told they be in in 3 days. Took 2 and half weeks. Every time I rang looking for the parts I was told they hadn’t arrived but sure you won’t be cutting today or tomorrow anyway. To me that was irrelevant as I wanted to get this job done before spring work got going so wanted them. It wouldn’t have taken 2 and half weeks during the harvest to get them in.

Only for Brendan it would have closed long before now. Recognised far and wide as the best store man in the land.
A few years ago I broke a drop arm on the NH ploughing on a Saturday morning. Arrived onto Perrys at about 12.50 Brendan Curtis was there and hadn't one in stock and went and took one off a new tractor rather than see me stuck and I wasn't even a customer he didn't even know my name. A few of the other dealers could do with Brendan behind the counter service is shocking in some.

Found Pat Buggy in Perrys of Kilkenny to be hugely helpful and knowledgeable about combine parts, nothing he didn't know about them. He explained to me that back in the 80s they had from May until November very busy with NH silage harvesters and combines as the season dragged out that long with smaller capacity machines whereas now it's all over in a few busy weeks. This must have led to their demise to a degree, shorter working season and less staff probably.
I go to Willie Foster for anything NH tractor related as I found he can't be beaten on price, information and helpfulness. Even though EMC and Murphys of Glenmore are closer. Granted I'd be getting a decent bit of shopping from him with any visit, he'd go out of his way to help you and this should be rewarded back. Other dealers treat a ringing phone as a nuisance, rather than an opportunity.

I had a few dealings with Pat Buggy after W.W. Doherty in Adare lost NH, it was where NH moved the SPFH back up for our area to although in latter years I'd use Declan Geary who also shut down a few years ago, a bit of the problem was Claas made big inroads into the SPFH market and probably had a part to play in the closure of the Kilkenny branch.

I would agree with all the above comments it’s all very well and good having shinny new tractors & machinery parked out side but to gauge a dealers proper credentials I’d reckon to look at they’re parts and service department as I’ve said before it’s all very well and good having a super dealer with millions of euro worth of goods out side then walk into the stores to ask for a filter and be greeted with blank looks or couldn’t be arsed attitude
I for one would much rather deal with the guy that gives me best service and knows me on a first name bases . Was told before it’s the stores that makes or breaks a dealer in that respect Perry would have been closed a decade ago if not for the store men

I had a few dealings with Pat Buggy after W.W. Doherty in Adare lost NH, it was where NH moved the SPFH back up for our area to although in latter years I'd use Declan Geary who also shut down a few years ago, a bit of the problem was Claas made big inroads into the SPFH market and probably had a part to play in the closure of the Kilkenny branch.
Declan Geary sold some stuff.
Must be gone 10
Years now

A few years ago I broke a drop arm on the NH ploughing on a Saturday morning. Arrived onto Perrys at about 12.50 Brendan Curtis was there and hadn't one in stock and went and took one off a new tractor rather than see me stuck and I wasn't even a customer he didn't even know my name. A few of the other dealers could do with Brendan behind the counter service is shocking in some.

20 years ago similar happened to me. Swivel on top link broke when ploughing. Tractor was 2 years old but not bought from Perry’s but we had bought Machines there in the past.
Anyway I had the misfortune to meet the boss and the other infamous store man. They said they hadn’t the part and would have to order it and it would be in tomorrow.
I was flat out and asked for a loan of a toplink to keep me going. Boss refused and made some excuse about insurance.
Needless to say never entertained buying a machine off them since that.
You’d imagine a machinery dealer ship couldn’t go wrong in the athy area with so many large tillage farmers around

20 years ago similar happened to me. Swivel on top link broke when ploughing. Tractor was 2 years old but not bought from Perry’s but we had bought Machines there in the past.
Anyway I had the misfortune to meet the boss and the other infamous store man. They said they hadn’t the part and would have to order it and it would be in tomorrow.
I was flat out and asked for a loan of a toplink to keep me going. Boss refused and made some excuse about insurance.
Needless to say never entertained buying a machine off them since that.
You’d imagine a machinery dealer ship couldn’t go wrong in the athy area with so many large tillage farmers around
That's the first time I heard anyone say a bad about JR.

That's the first time I heard anyone say a bad about JR.
I'm sure it was the son rather than the father. The other storeman alluded to would be well capable of putting you off going back in too.

Would agree with previous statements on Brendan Curtis. The only reason an awful lot of customers particularly smaller ones like ourselves kept going back

As I said way back in the thread , my father bought a new Ford 5600 from them in 1976. Mainly because the Ford dealer in Roscrea at the time , had a similar attitude to why Perry's has closed down now. We were 40 odd miles from Athy . My father's late brother bought a Class Super Junior combine from JR Perry , the year he started , 1963. He bought several new 3000s from him , and the last new tractor he bought from him being a 4100 in March 1976.
I never heard anyone comment that JR was anything but a gentleman. I was last in there a good few years ago ,maybe 8 or 9 , and it was a sad looking spot , even then
Was some of the site sold for a housing development ?
I only came across the next generation once. I am only surprised it lasted this long before closing.

As I said way back in the thread , my father bought a new Ford 5600 from them in 1976. Mainly because the Ford dealer in Roscrea at the time , had a similar attitude to why Perry's has closed down now. We were 40 odd miles from Athy . My father's late brother bought a Class Super Junior combine from JR Perry , the year he started , 1963. He bought several new 3000s from him , and the last new tractor he bought from him being a 4100 in March 1976.
I never heard anyone comment that JR was anything but a gentleman. I was last in there a good few years ago ,maybe 8 or 9 , and it was a sad looking spot , even then
Was some of the site sold for a housing development ?
I only came across the next generation once. I am only surprised it lasted this long before closing.
JR died in 2007. It's going downhill since then.
It's hard to believe it lasted this long.
Hard to know which of the staff was the worst.
The mute mechanic or brendan curtis colleague or the salesman or the man over the mechanics.... The list goes on...

JR died in 2007. It's going downhill since then.
It's hard to believe it lasted this long.
Hard to know which of the staff was the worst.
The mute mechanic or brendan curtis colleague or the salesman or the man over the mechanics.... The list goes on...
Steven opened for us one Sunday. They have only ever been Gentlemen both store men mechanics and management. It was the prices they had to charge put me off . Over €150!extra on a pump for the TW and it was not that they had it in Stock.
We bought sprayers and batteries off PV Wright in Athy and very nearly bought a Case David Brown only my father chickened out.

Steven opened for us one Sunday. They have only ever been Gentlemen both store men mechanics and management. It was the prices they had to charge put me off . Over €150!extra on a pump for the TW and it was not that they had it in Stock.
We bought sprayers and batteries off PV Wright in Athy and very nearly bought a Case David Brown only my father chickened out.

I wouldn't be well up on the present garages around Athy , but it seems they would scarce in the immediate area. @Bog Man mentions P V Wright. Didn't they sell Zetors at 1 time , and you say they sold David Brown tractors. Are they gone 30 plus years ?
In the the 70s , a man over @diesel power sw way .who used cut silage for hire with Kidd double chops behind an early Ford 7600 , bought a new MF 188 in 1974 , and another the same in 1977 , from Duthie Large in Athy. They are gone since the early or maybe mid 80s ?

I wouldn't be well up on the present garages around Athy , but it seems they would scarce in the immediate area. @Bog Man mentions P V Wright. Didn't they sell Zetors at 1 time , and you say they sold David Brown tractors. Are they gone 30 plus years ?
In the the 70s , a man over @diesel power sw way .who used cut silage for hire with Kidd double chops behind an early Ford 7600 , bought a new MF 188 in 1974 , and another the same in 1977 , from Duthie Large in Athy. They are gone since the early or maybe mid 80s ?
Most of the names I remember from up the country seem to have fizzled out, T.P Waters, Cummins in Rathdowney and the ones you mention, Deerings are one of the few survivors and Fitzpatricks in Monasterevin.

Back