Factory Prices General thread

What's the outlook for the spring. With the high numbers being killed will cattle eventually dry up.

Going to take a long time. The stores are pretty full too.

Will it be March/April before any meaningful rise comes which to be honest is a waste of time.

Going to take a long time. The stores are pretty full too.

Will it be March/April before any meaningful rise comes which to be honest is a waste of time.

I suppose if brexit was sorted or over or whatever things might improve or maybe collapse altogether.

I suppose if brexit was sorted or over or whatever things might improve or maybe collapse altogether.
Get your CV up to the Irish Farm Centre ASAP, you're a wasted talent, a constant stream of in-depth analysis like that and before you know it you'll be milking the cows as a hobby to kill the time between journalism award ceremonies :lol:

I was talking to manager last september and his thinking was market would be flooded up to feburary as year and a halves and everything older were all put on fattening diet due to lack and price of fodder !!! From feb on supplies would tighten but has brexit given us a curved ball

I've 2 loads of heifers that will be getting Christmas dinner with us.

There's a load of bullocks down here to go to so maybe they could be teamed up :laugh:

For the sake of the beef trade I hope we don't see too much more volatility in exchange rates in the coming months as we saw in the past few days.

I think the closer we get to march the more volatile the markets will be. So hope to have all factory cattle gone before then. :cry:

Oops if everyone has the same plan the price will fall. Time to think of a new plan. :scratchhead:

Oops if everyone has the same plan the price will fall. Time to think of a new plan. :scratchhead:
Holding out till may or June here. Will wait till ye lads get rid of her stock and numbers start getting scarce. Just a basic cheap diet of good silage and 2kg of meal here. They are doing just fine an will make target weights for going to grass in early march.

I think the closer we get to march the more volatile the markets will be. So hope to have all factory cattle gone before then. :cry:
Thats my main concern but I also think we'll see and feel the outcome of Brexit before March. Not that it already isn't been felt but the full extent of it good or bad will probably be known come Feb.

Regardless of brexit, the 2018 drought, followed by a great autumn, has resulted in extra numbers of cattle being finished, there will be a shortage of numbers somewhere down the road, I’d expect beef to be as scarce as last year for the tight months of May, June, July, possibly earlier.
For the early months of next year, I don’t see much rise, keeping the price of beef down, keeps the price of stores and weanlings down too.

Assuming brexit is not postponed and it happens, then I don’t think anyone knows what will actually happen, though I suspect balance of power will no longer be with the supermarkets.

The bigger picture to me is that there just isn’t enough a margin out of beef farming.
Beexit...

Poor prices over here :tdown:had an absolute belting 1000kg milk cow only made 90p the other day,would have been 130p earlier in the year.

Big waiting list at the abattoir,seems folk are getting rid because of lack of feed.

Holding out till may or June here. Will wait till ye lads get rid of her stock and numbers start getting scarce. Just a basic cheap diet of good silage and 2kg of meal here. They are doing just fine an will make target weights for going to grass in early march.
Finishing off grass in June is a great plan if we feet a half decent spring, how long will you feed at grass for? I'd imagine youd need 60 days with continental stock to properly finish them.

Finishing off grass in June is a great plan if we feet a half decent spring, how long will you feed at grass for? I'd imagine youd need 60 days with continental stock to properly finish them.

I'd be aiming to have them 550 to 600kg coming out of the shed and then giving them 100 days at grass before I start picking out the best few for the first load. Then I'll put the lick feeder with them and feed 3 to 4kg of meal a day and pick a load off the bunch every 2 or 3 weeks until they are gone.

I'd be aiming to have them 550 to 600kg coming out of the shed and then giving them 100 days at grass before I start picking out the best few for the first load. Then I'll put the lick feeder with them and feed 3 to 4kg of meal a day and pick a load off the bunch every 2 or 3 weeks until they are gone.

With no meal to the first batch, would they have sufficient fat cover for the factory especially as they are continentals? Finished some like that In the past and always felt they could have done with more meal.

With no meal to the first batch, would they have sufficient fat cover for the factory especially as they are continentals? Finished some like that In the past and always felt they could have done with more meal.
If they are pure continentals I'd be inclined to feed everything prior to slaughter, but are there some Shorthorn genetics somewhere Mucky? You also want to have in mind beef prices and late may and into June is when you want them killed from that point of view. You could well see July prices slipping as more grass cattle come out.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/revealed-factory-feedlot-contribution-to-irish-beef-kill/

Just goes to show the shocking poor standard of reporting on agriland!! You can be a "feedlot" and have zero arrangement with the factory, its basically just saying you must go direct to slaughter no farm to farm sales. It is purely a TB based designation where you can buy in if you have a reactor but you don't get compensation.

True. But the majority would be factory or contracted that I know of around here

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/revealed-factory-feedlot-contribution-to-irish-beef-kill/

Just goes to show the shocking poor standard of reporting on agriland!! You can be a "feedlot" and have zero arrangement with the factory, its basically just saying you must go direct to slaughter no farm to farm sales. It is purely a TB based designation where you can buy in if you have a reactor but you don't get compensation.

Thats very annoying, sensational and inaccurate as you describe above.

Back