bales vs clamp

Find feeding bales here pretty straight forward, although numbers are small. Way I do it is cut the plastic off the ends of all the bales needed while still in stack, pick up bale and drive into shed, with bale a few feet off the ground, cut plastic and net with long armed hayknife, pull off plastic and net and put in separate heaps, scatter out bale with loader
Pretty much the exact same, cutting the front off in the stack saves an awful lot of messing around imo. 1 lift from the stack to having the bale completely un wrapped ready to break up

Was handelling the bales the same as, but when you have to get down off a loader every time, ryou'd soon get your fill. Got a 2.5m shear grab with bale opener attachment from Prodig last Spring, gift of a yolk. Even still, there's waaaaaay less work in the pit.

Was handelling the bales the same as, but when you have to get down off a loader every time, ryou'd soon get your fill. Got a 2.5m shear grab with bale opener attachment from Prodig last Spring, gift of a yolk. Even still, there's waaaaaay less work in the pit.

Picture ? You must frighten yourself on a daily basis with that grab.

Both the weight of it and it's contents , Over 8 ft wide :eek3:

And the rate a pit would disappear at

Picture ? You must frighten yourself on a daily basis with that grab.

Both the weight of it and it's contents , Over 8 ft wide :eek3:

And the rate a pit would disappear at
Sorry, tell a lie, its 2.2 meters, was hoping for the 2.5 at the time but there was a 7 week waiting list, and our old one had just calved!! Here's a link on it; http://www.prodigattachments.com/en/products/agricultural/7-shear-grab/3-mega-bite
and there's a video of it working on my twitter a/c video is too large to attach here https://twitter.com/Friesian_man/status/1058393184894664705?s=19
Considered an 8ft tine grab too for feeding.

All bales here at the moment.
Used to do pit ourselves at home .
Then I leased a farm with sheds but no pit.
There's for and against , everyone's set up is different .
I'm feeding 70 + bales/week on 4 farms.
cows only on home farm, all bales drew in during winter. 3 - 10 miles
I find I can bring bales to suit ( Best ones when milking , lesser ones when dry)
For me I have a saving feeding out.
No feeder, just basic tractor loader 2 prongs.
Usually 2 people but I find it fast .
I put in enough bales on outfarms to last 7 -8 days .
When I was feeding pit , I was using a 7' sheargrab on a rubber wheel digger ( still have it)
If you were crossing a yard bringing blocks to different sheds you'd have bits falling out . If you wanted to keep the place tidy you'd want to gather up the spilled bits.
On heavy crops Bales are working out very costly.
lots of bother with bales getting bursted with vermin ( crows Rats)
Probably will go back to some pit.
Main thing is to have enough, format is irrelevant, Pit silage, Bale silage, Hay Etc.Etc.

Back