botulism

I know someone who 12 months ago lost 75% of his milkers to it,feck it makes you paranoid.
Does rather.
What conditions does it need to develop I wonder?
And if it was in a bale, would it ever be safe?
Because surely it would be far far more common if it was able to develop easily in silage? Or was able to live long in silage at least.

Does rather.
Because surely it would be far far more common if it was able to develop easily in silage? Or was able to live long in silage at least.

Fair sure feeding silage out before it's made doesn't help,mixer wagons are half the problem,if you fed a grab out the cows would pic around it,they have no option with mixed feed.

A neighbour started mowing for 3rd cut a week after the local shoot released pheasants,they were being mown all over his farm,I won't let them near.

Reactions: AYF
Does rather.
anaerobic conditions, exactly what you need for good silage.

Reactions: AYF
I often wonder if dead mice, rabbits, birds etc hit by mower during silage and then ensiled could also cause it??

Is botulism spread? Ie an animal eats an infected dead remains and then so on??

How long does it last in a bale I wonder?
The bacteria and toxin are both very stable apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulinum_toxin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_botulinum
See also: Botulism § Prevention
C. botulinum is a soil bacterium. The spores can survive in most environments and are very hard to kill. They can survive the temperature of boiling water at sea level, thus many foods are canned with a pressurized boil that achieves even higher temperatures, sufficient to kill the spores.

C. botulinum is an obligate anaerobe that is widely distributed in nature and is assumed to be present on all food surfaces. Its optimum growth temperature is within the mesophilic range. In spore form, it is the most heat resistant pathogen that can survive in low acid foods and grow to produce toxin. The toxin attacks the nervous system and will kill an adult at a dose of around 75 ng.] This toxin is detoxified by holding food at 100 °C for 10 minutes.

Growth of the bacterium can be prevented by high acidity, high ratio of dissolved sugar, high levels of oxygen, very low levels of moisture, or storage at temperatures below 3 °C (38 °F) for type A. For example, in a low-acid, canned vegetable such as green beans that are not heated enough to kill the spores (i.e., a pressurized environment) may provide an oxygen-free medium for the spores to grow and produce the toxin. However, pickles are sufficiently acidic to prevent growth; even if the spores are present, they pose no danger to the consumer. Honey, corn syrup, and other sweeteners may contain spores, but the spores cannot grow in a highly concentrated sugar solution; however, when a sweetener is diluted in the low-oxygen, low-acid digestive system of an infant, the spores can grow and produce toxin. As soon as infants begin eating solid food, the digestive juices become too acidic for the bacterium to grow.

The control of food-borne botulism caused by C. botulinum is based almost entirely on thermal destruction (heating) of the spores or inhibiting spore germination into bacteria and allowing cells to grow and produce toxins in foods. Conditions conducive of growth are dependent on various environmental factors. Growth of C. botulinum is a risk in low acid foods as defined by having a pH greater than 4.6 although growth is significantly retarded for pH below 4.9. There have been some cases and specific conditions reported to sustain growth with pH below 4.6.

A farm has recently lost a serious amount of cattle to botulism.
They presume something was in the silage... in the mixer wagon.... you get the picture.
Not nice!
I'm convinced we need to plough more often, compost bedding and lime our slurry.

What about all the shooting in winter barley? Baler man could easily pick up a few weeks later?

What about all the shooting in winter barley? Baler man could easily pick up a few weeks later?

I've been bothering about this as I'm feeding more straw than usual,been googling this morn as a local farm as of Saturday had 31 hit with botulism.

Turns out botulism likes moisture so straw should be ok.

I've been bothering about this as I'm feeding more straw than usual,been googling this morn as a local farm as of Saturday had 31 hit with botulism.

Turns out botulism likes moisture so straw should be ok.

The farm in question is now over three figures,I'm looking at vaccination.

Back