Feed out pictures.

I fed cattle for a fella a few years ago.
No chopping the beet the cattle were kinda tearing at it.
Coulst figure it out.
The noise would deffen you

Ya I think beet would be better to be pre chopped, if there to big stock could choke on them.. on contract feeding we do, we chop enough for 3days, 1600-1800kgs no boder 1000rpm eco in high box when the slides pushed in no issue chopped very well

I also find 1000kg chops fine if you give the tractor some revs in Eco,although I now do 5t or so at once.

image.jpeg

Having a back door on the tub mixer helps as I drop it out the back in seconds.

Be alright on some hardstanding. Typical British/irish conditions it would be a swamp by the time all those bales are eaten.

Anyone with a tub feeder that can chop straw down to lengths no longer than 30mm without mixing it all day? Keeping an eye out for a tub feeder as I want to get more straw into diets but concerned it might not be able to chop the straw fine enough.

Anyone with a tub feeder that can chop straw down to lengths no longer than 30mm without mixing it all day? Keeping an eye out for a tub feeder as I want to get more straw into diets but concerned it might not be able to chop the straw fine enough.
For that length I'd say you'd need it pree chopped?
For cattle they will eat it cleanly enough just chopped during a normal mix.

For chopping that fine you’ll need to be pre chopping the straw . Lob on 3 bales that’s the fill of an 18 cube abbey and go do something else . 15/ 20 minutes and you’ll have dust . That’s the way I do it in work now only feeding 1kg ahead to the milkers but they were selecting out the straw and leaving it after them .

For chopping that fine you’ll need to be pre chopping the straw . Lob on 3 bales that’s the fill of an 18 cube abbey and go do something else . 15/ 20 minutes and you’ll have dust . That’s the way I do it in work now only feeding 1kg ahead to the milkers but they were selecting out the straw and leaving it after them .
When you say pre-chopping do you mean chopping the straw while baling with a baler equipped with knives or with using a dedicated straw chopper in the yard before mixing a diet?

When you say pre-chopping do you mean chopping the straw while baling with a baler equipped with knives or with using a dedicated straw chopper in the yard before mixing a diet?
We just put 3 bales of straw into the tub feeder and put it mixing give it say 15 mins and the straw will be very finelyish chopped hardly 30mm but of left for longer probably would go that fine . then throw the straw out of the feeder again . Then refill the feeder with the volume of straw you want in a set load and add silage . By putting the straw through the feeder twice it gets chopped much finer . We do the same with beet chop 8 tons at a time and reload with what’s needed for a set load beet is then chopped to potatoe wedge size .

Dedicated straw chopper.
Although I quite like @massey 6480 s idea.
Want to try and chop straw for the ewes as they are getting too fat on this years silage.
Room to store that volume of straw would be my only problem here.

The famer I done my placement with used a straw chopper to pre chop the straw before putting through the feeder. It was a huge saving in time as everything was ready for mixing. Chopping it through the baler would help to but for your system it would be a big help to be able to chop straw fast.

We just put 3 bales of straw into the tub feeder and put it mixing give it say 15 mins and the straw will be very finelyish chopped hardly 30mm but of left for longer probably would go that fine . then throw the straw out of the feeder again . Then refill the feeder with the volume of straw you want in a set load and add silage . By putting the straw through the feeder twice it gets chopped much finer . We do the same with beet chop 8 tons at a time and reload with what’s needed for a set load beet is then chopped to potatoe wedge size .
Sounds good. Pre-chopped beet is the main ingredient in her mix at the moment but I need to get chopped straw into the diet without too much work.

The famer I done my placement with used a straw chopper to pre chop the straw before putting through the feeder. It was a huge saving in time as everything was ready for mixing. Chopping it through the baler would help to but for your system it would be a big help to be able to chop straw fast.
No doubt it's the quickest way of getting it done. I was just hoping that there was a tub feeder out there that could do a similar job without the need for an extra tractor and machine.

Why so short, better cudding and much more effective buffering if its around 100 -125 mm ( width of the palm of your hand)

Why so short, better cudding and much more effective buffering if its around 100 -125 mm ( width of the palm of your hand)
Good point. We recently took advice from a renowned nutritionist who recommended that a straw chop length of no greater than 30mm opens up the villi in the rumen which increases the rate of nutrient adsorption. I asked about cudding and buffering as it is essential when feeding beet but he claims that the amount of cudding won't be affected by reducing the chop length.

Good point. We recently took advice from a renowned nutritionist who recommended that a straw chop length of no greater than 30mm opens up the villi in the rumen which increases the rate of nutrient adsorption. I asked about cudding and buffering as it is essential when feeding beet but he claims that the amount of cudding won't be affected by reducing the chop length.
Doctors differ, I have found when feeding wholecrop wheat a small amount of longer fibre to be beneficial (0.25kg ish), but if you want convenient large volume of short chop straw then whole cropped wheat is a good option.

Lads its simple animals you are feeding. burning shite loads of diesel and having metal around will increase there performance but F all. I have done it every way, and the simplest way that burns the least amount of diesel, uses the least machinery is the most profitable way. Is there any point having 75 DMD silage if you have to rob some of the intake, to replace with more expensive straw with a close on zero intrake value

Doctors differ, I have found when feeding wholecrop wheat a small amount of longer fibre to be beneficial (0.25kg ish), but if you want convenient large volume of short chop straw then whole cropped wheat is a good option.
That's fair enough, true although the absence of a silage pit in our yard probably makes it a non-runner. But you are right, recommendations differ and we will be getting more advice before spending any money.

Lads its simple animals you are feeding. burning shite loads of diesel and having metal around will increase there performance but F all. I have done it every way, and the simplest way that burns the least amount of diesel, uses the least machinery is the most profitable way. Is there any point having 75 DMD silage if you have to rob some of the intake, to replace with more expensive straw with a close on zero intrake value
Can't disagree with you there. Our 25 year old MF375 and 20 year old paddle feeder uses no more than 2 fills of diesel per winter. But the feeder is nearly worn out and mixing very inconsistent now which is affecting animal performance. Feeding is taking too long and I need to get straw mixed into the diet, particularly when building up kgs of beet intake. But I have no intention of spending a ball of money on shiney new feeders and straw choppers.

Did a lot of this mixing chopping washing putting it in putting it out as well here and those pictures of beet been chopped gives me the shivers there was just too much work in it for us here. Hard enough putting silage into a feeder with meal not a mind that crack.

For me mixing straights is the easiest money I make,I'm well set up for it and can take 150t in artic loads,no compound feeds here so I'm not paying £40/50/t for the privilege.

Regarding chopping straw I don't bother pre chopping in the milk cow diet,I'm feeding 1kg per head and put it in the mixer 1st,they eat it all never leave any.

I do pre chop in my dry cow diet,I use a teagle 404m straw mill,it takes near 20mins per bale,way to slow and I'm on the lookout for a roto grind.

Did a lot of this mixing chopping washing putting it in putting it out as well here and those pictures of beet been chopped gives me the shivers there was just too much work in it for us here. Hard enough putting silage into a feeder with meal not a mind that crack.
washing or even chopping beet in a diet feeder is nuts. You will wear out the feeder in no time and the chopping job at best can be described as very average. Free standing chopper or beet chopper bucket is the only job

Back