Stock Pictures

Was talking with a chap from N. Yorkshire yesterday, he said he'd lost a handful to pneumonia these last few weeks.
We would have had a pretty strict dosing regime for weanlings all summer long. They were dosed on housing and then weaned a week later and then had the pneumonia problem. We dosed again last weekend and on Monday we had 2 that had to get a shot of nuflor as they were gone off feed. Lung worm. Dosing and killing it really weakened their respiratory system. I thought that the dry summer would have meant less lung worm but it appears that we were majority impacted with it .

We would have had a pretty strict dosing regime for weanlings all summer long. They were dosed on housing and then weaned a week later and then had the pneumonia problem. We dosed again last weekend and on Monday we had 2 that had to get a shot of nuflor as they were gone off feed. Lung worm. Dosing and killing it really weakened their respiratory system. I thought that the dry summer would have meant less lung worm but it appears that we were majority impacted with it .

Could ibr be a problem.

It is in the spring and early summer up until the calves are about three months old that we get pneumonia.After that I never see it. Lost two calves this year. It can be a right curse,the amount of time you’d spend checking them for it can be huge .Most of them respond well to Nuflor but an odd one will not respond to anything. I find if you see the eyes running its a good way of detecting them when there are no other symptoms appearent.

Do many vaccinate, doing the few here last year and this and so far find it brilliant. In fairness most years hadn't major issues anyway but an odd year it would and between vet and medicines vac isn't much more costly. My fear always was being away for a few days and whoever's feeding might miss the early stages of an outbreak.

Do many vaccinate, doing the few here last year and this and so far find it brilliant. In fairness most years hadn't major issues anyway but an odd year it would and between vet and medicines vac isn't much more costly. My fear always was being away for a few days and whoever's feeding might miss the early stages of an outbreak.
I vaccinated for a few years and found it more or less useless.One year I spent approx €30 per cow and calf,including Rotovacc.

That raised a smile about a real local gentleman sadly no longer with us.

Neighbour used to pick up silage for him. At dinnertime the van would appear to bring him back to the yard.

Going down the lane, there'd often be a bunch of 600-700 kgs suckler type stock. My neighbour would turn to him, 'they are Lovely bunch of cattle ready for the factory, P would turn to him and say 'they are only suck calves!" And dead serious too :laugh:

I have lived beside it since the early eighties, the Deacons spent years on the farm here when young, I put out 2 fires caused by it malfunctioning, the son of my father's best friend died building it.
It is smoke.
The reason it is white is raw softwood is wet.

Sorry to have hit a nerve lad

Sorry to have hit a nerve lad
Not your fault at all, sorry I was short, having a bad day yesterday.
The drainage job is running into problems, my cousin, who I rent land off, had a fall, did in my back helping him up and a machinery salesman annoyed the f**k out of me, wouldn't take no for an answer and killed telling me I was stupid.

Last edited:
Regards the pneumonia, we had some last year where the calves were allowed into a shed after weaning. This year the cows were in and the calves weaned the other side of the gate but outdoors. Even with the bad weather we didn't have any problems with them, they had access to grass meal and silage. Lesson learned for next year. Never wean straight into a shed

Regards the pneumonia, we had some last year where the calves were allowed into a shed after weaning. This year the cows were in and the calves weaned the other side of the gate but outdoors. Even with the bad weather we didn't have any problems with them, they had access to grass meal and silage. Lesson learned for next year. Never wean straight into a shed

We weaned the second half of the spring born weanlings with weaning paddles while they were out on grass. 3 days on grass together, 1 day in the shed together and then the calves put into the next pen. There wasn't a noise out of them!

Last of this season or first of the next? Whatever it is, it was a surprise to me. Mum was scanned not in calf last march and had been fattened all summer. Only held on to her because I hoped factory prices might rise. I guess she'll get another year.

FB_IMG_1545590953700.jpg

Last of this season or first of the next? Whatever it is, it was a surprise to me. Mum was scanned not in calf last march and had been fattened all summer. Only held on to her because I hoped factory prices might rise. I guess she'll get another year.

View attachment 61523

Any bother with her calving mucky given you were fattening her too!

Any bother with her calving mucky given you were fattening her too!
Thats the danger, but she had calved on her own. The calf is off my own stock bull which has very good calving %. I only have 1 calf off him yet so hopefully it says good things for him.

We are pushing to feed as little meal as possible to weanlings this winter. These lads see grass for 9 hours a day and then go back to their mothers to suck. Other years we did this from late February on but this year they have been getting out by day since they were housed at the end of November. We have never had autumn born weanlings do so well. This is the ground that we drained with the Connacht agri pipes. It is pretty dry.

IMG_20190103_092336.jpg

This is my cow that was tested for johnes. She has been doing well for the last month. She is getting a small bit of meal and minerals daily.

IMG_20190103_093054.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190103_093054.jpg
    IMG_20190103_093054.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 5
Buckets are bigger in the whest:lol: when we say bucket here its a lick bucket. Is yours an oil drum?

Buckets are bigger in the whest:lol: when we say bucket here its a lick bucket. Is yours an oil drum?
:tt2: Its actually a 10 litre paint bucket. I think a lick bucket is 12.5 litres, oil drums 20 litres and the old style oil drums are 25 litres I think.

Back