Ford/New Holland

But I will say this about the TM, the mirrors are a godsend. with the amount of trailer work we do during the summer, whenever i have to drive the 7840, I miss the mirrors.

The 2wd wouldn't help it's case but would you get a 2wd one as tidy??
years ago when we first got the 7810 pictured above, i asked my dad why not 4wd his answer wasn't "don't need 4wd for yard work" or "it has a tight turning circle" it was "they hold their value better". tbh I don't know where that idea came from. never really asked but i do genuinely think that we could get maybe a similar price to what we originally bought her for. not much has changed on her except a little bit of rust on the bonnet and on the cab which super q's are notorious for.

Is there much difference in power between the 7810 and 7840?
5-10 horse power difference in which the 7840 has more of than the 7810. we put the 7810 and 7840 on our 1360 jd mower. left 4wd off on the 7840 but it just took on the hills better compared to the 7810

View attachment 61962
Not the cleanest looking out of the lot but she's perfect for rolling, fert spreading, and on the slurry agitator.
View attachment 61963
My favourite out of the lot. Perfect on the wrapper and the diet feeder. She's only on the baler when we are cutting barley as the our TM165 usually tugs the trailers.
View attachment 61964
The supposed upgrade from our old 8360. She has her problems (that's what you get for paying peanuts) like the front suspension doesn't work to the solenoids burning out to the brakes not being as responsive now then it was before during the summer. Only reason why we got her was the suspension. The father has gotten to the stage where he can't sit down for prolonged periods of time and this machine was supposed to help but everyone knows that cab suspension is useless with out the front suspension.

We are big into blue machines. My dad grew up around em and his favourite out of the whole lot his dad had was a ford 5000. We do have a MF 135 but she's on the yard scraper or generator when the power goes out. He did have a brief stint with MF's in the form of a 3080 but went back to fords as it was expensive to maintain but he did love the tractor. Also have a sprinkle of yellow in the form of a Sperry New Holland 8070. She does the job just fine with only being around 60 acres a year she does usually for us and neighbours.

Neighbours 155 had an intermittent front suspension problem.. would come on then stay off for ages .. looked at all the connectors and seemed fine.. was about to put a new unit into it until one of the lads from shaws had a look and found the connector near the axle was clamped together but the wire pins had pushed back up into the connector block.. straightened the pin and connected up again.. been working away for the last 7 years.. so my suggestion would be check all the connectors.. and if they're alright you might need to recharge the gas in the accumulator.

Neighbours 155 had an intermittent front suspension problem.. would come on then stay off for ages .. looked at all the connectors and seemed fine.. was about to put a new unit into it until one of the lads from shaws had a look and found the connector near the axle was clamped together but the wire pins had pushed back up into the connector block.. straightened the pin and connected up again.. been working away for the last 7 years.. so my suggestion would be check all the connectors.. and if they're alright you might need to recharge the gas in the accumulator.
tbh we actually don't know much about the front suspension. it's our first tractor to have one. surprisingly enough it's easier to find terraglide user manual than a tm165 user manual. it's all a project for the next month as there is no college

Edit: Wondering if the built in diagnostics to find out what is wrong instead of trying to dismantle some stuff to find the problem for it not to be the case.

Last edited:
Lovely tractor but €7500 In the last 18 months :scratchhead::scratchhead:

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-7740/20724842

NDU4MjA2YzFlNjhkMjk4MjFlNTE2OWI3YWIwZDljNzML6kjCV8LezcQHVOqre_bcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTU4MDI2ODd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Being SL DP It Probably won't last long.

Its a cheap tractor
your man is selling it for €17,500. i don't see how a 7740 could be that price. tbh i think he thought the tractor was worth €10,000, got it fixed up for €7,500 and just added what he spent onto what the tractor was probably worth 18 months ago. it be much more worth it to find a 7840

your man is selling it for €17,500. i don't see how a 7740 could be that price. tbh i think he thought the tractor was worth €10,000, got it fixed up for €7,500 and just added what he spent onto what the tractor was probably worth 18 months ago. it be much more worth it to find a 7840
It looks a very tidy tractor, if he spent €7500 he must have done some bigger ticket items, which means the new owner should have less to worry about.
To me its cheap compared to a scruffy one at €14/15 k

It looks a very tidy tractor, if he spent €7500 he must have done some bigger ticket items, which means the new owner should have less to worry about.
To me its cheap compared to a scruffy one at €14/15 k
tbh i wouldn't go for it. i do see what you mean. but you can get a 7840 for a little bit cheaper and still come out better than getting that with the 7840 having more horse power being a 6 pot and it being SLE which is abundant, its a no brainer

Back