Winter barley 2019

Kind of,it is light ground.

Over the years, I’ve seen them worse on brows of hills or sloping bits of fields. I think it must be something to do with the way the Cranefly flies in.
They rarely lay into clean stubble ground, they’re more attracted to fields with plenty of volunteers or weeds that are patchy in their distribution.

Was chatting today and was told that Mildew resistance to Corbel is happening which i never heard before. He was saying not to spray for mildew at the moment but wait for at least another month and then proline might be a better choice because of the resistance issue. Anyone else hear this about corbel?

Was chatting today and was told that Mildew resistance to Corbel is happening which i never heard before. He was saying not to spray for mildew at the moment but wait for at least another month and then proline might be a better choice because of the resistance issue. Anyone else hear this about corbel?

News to me but I know Teagasc were examining it in oats, didn’t hear any results.
Last year of Corbel anyway.
Proline won’t kill mildew but will have a preventative effect.

Never heard that at all, I know proline has a good rating on mildew on the HGCA trials but there would want to be zero mildew visible there to have any effect of preventing it from my experience. Corbel is about the go off the market, I think it’s last season is 2020.

Never heard that at all, I know proline has a good rating on mildew on the HGCA trials but there would want to be zero mildew visible there to have any effect of preventing it from my experience. Corbel is about the go off the market, I think it’s last season is 2020.

Tern making a comeback I believe

In other news, not only do BASF have Revisol coming, they also have re-engineered a Strob to have no resistance and apparently it’s also very good on Ramularia. It’s coming after Revisol......

Last edited by a moderator:
Term making a comeback I believe

In other news, not only do BASF have Revisol coming, they also have re-engineered a Strob to have no resistance and apparently it’s also very good on Ramularia. It’s coming after Revisol......
Making a comeback but I think the label issue still exists

And I see Teagasc have come out yesterday and said similar as well.

I saw them putting up those slides on twitter. I do wonder if those trials were dealing with mildew or the more common early sown winter barley issues of rhynco/ Net blotch.

If one had a heavy infestation of mildew, I’d be very surprised if they weren’t better off treating it.

Hopefully this oncoming cold weather will whack the mildew anyway.

Had a look at the barley plots today.
Sown 10th Oct.

Weeds dying off nicely (sprayed 31st Dec).

Virtually no mildew whatsoever.

Planning first fertiliser for around the 20th February. I’m expecting them to be hungry at that point considering the amount of early growth crops have put on this year.

870B77CC-00B7-448C-B451-068DDA03B96D.jpeg 17F33A69-1DD4-4C7D-84AB-B0049636277D.jpeg

I actually think barley as it’s so far forward and well tillered that it might need fert earlier than normal even if conditions are conducive to growth

Agreed, and CCC also to even out and maintain the tillers while they can still be manipulated.
The forecast cold weather might correct things a bit too.

Agreed, and CCC also to even out and maintain the tillers while they can still be manipulated.
The forecast cold weather might correct things a bit too.
Not a major amount of fert, 25 units can work wonders early on when growth is only tipping away, maybe half the compound would be what I was thinking

Planning on spreading all the potash on wheat and barley next week if weather remains good, seriously considering a small amount of N too on the barley

I hate being misquoted
It’s twice
When everyone has first split on let me know and I’ll yoke up Bredal and go spread wheat
Mea culpa . How yella should Barley be before putting N on . I think Philip Marr was also a fan of letting winter Barley die .

Back