hedgecutting

40+ would be the go of it around here, did you cut much hedges yourself mucky or did you find it cheaper to let the contractor do the most of them?
We got the contractor with the mulcher to cut hedges on 60 acres at the butt. It really opened up fields. We will be able to do them now with our own hedgecutter with just 2 or 3 passes. We got 30 hours of cutting done.

Track machines with heavy mulches here are 80 euro an hour
Local contractor has a 14 ton komatsu with extra pumps/coolers for working the mulcher. It operates on about half revs and is very easy on diesel. There's no justification for charging double the cost of a track machine for just the addition of a mulcher.

Local contractor has a 14 ton komatsu with extra pumps/coolers for working the mulcher. It operates on about half revs and is very easy on diesel. There's no justification for charging double the cost of a track machine for just the addition of a mulcher.
Local contractor here that I used to work for has one of the heavy duty seppi ones on a 312 cat. Didn't change anything on the machine to work it. 55+vat an hour for it. Mulcher cost 18k as far as I can remember.

The mulcher was close to 30k I'm sure he's at it to make money

Don’t know what would be a fair price but a mulcher and associated extras could be worth as much as a good used 14T, significantly more than a few buckets anyway.

A track machine is a field only machine that needs a tractor and lowloader between sites, that has to be paid for.

Fair play if you managed to get a locked solid rotor out, remove and refit bearing and back in in 2 hours.. I only once failed to free the rotor in the field and that was a duvet, bastard thing couldn't be cut or burnt out. If you are stopped cutting out crap realistically all you can charge is half rate at best, your machine is stopped and it's just the labour you can charge for.
I should have said it took 3 hours plus travel time each way. Same thing happened me Christmas week . Was still fresh in my mind and I had a bit of help this time putting the rotor back in and lining up shims.
Fair play if you managed to get a locked solid rotor out, remove and refit bearing and back in in 2 hours.. I only once failed to free the rotor in the field and that was a duvet, bastard thing couldn't be cut or burnt out. If you are stopped cutting out crap realistically all you can charge is half rate at best, your machine is stopped and it's just the labour you can charge for.

We got the contractor with the mulcher to cut hedges on 60 acres at the butt. It really opened up fields. We will be able to do them now with our own hedgecutter with just 2 or 3 passes. We got 30 hours of cutting done.
That seems like very good value for a job that leaves no tidying up and one easy pass on the land. How did the machine handle any wire that it would've come across? How heavy were the hedges that it was dealing with?

I should have said it took 3 hours plus travel time each way. Same thing happened me Christmas week . Was still fresh in my mind and I had a bit of help this time putting the rotor back in and lining up shims.
Could you not have used a big bar to try to shift the rotor and the wire would pop out? Only once i thought i was bet with wire and i left the bar in the rotor, stuck it in the ground as far as i could and drove on a bit, never had to disassemble a rotor to remove wire. Was it the non drive end that got blocked?

Could you not have used a big bar to try to shift the rotor and the wire would pop out? Only once i thought i was bet with wire and i left the bar in the rotor, stuck it in the ground as far as i could and drove on a bit, never had to disassemble a rotor to remove wire. Was it the non drive end that got blocked?
I had a 4 foot bar and just moved it a tiny bit.i got a lot of it out in the field,screw driver,long nose pliers and small vice grip.eventually it broke just inside the housing.
Yep non drive end.

I had a 4 foot bar and just moved it a tiny bit.i got a lot of it out in the field,screw driver,long nose pliers and small vice grip.eventually it broke just inside the housing.
Yep non drive end.
try the bar trick in the ground the next time, the outer hub wears on the non drive side leaving a bit of space for the wire to jam in, if you manage to get it to turn you'll get to a wider spot and the wire should nearly fall out

try the bar trick in the ground the next time, the outer hub wears on the non drive side leaving a bit of space for the wire to jam in, if you manage to get it to turn you'll get to a wider spot and the wire should nearly fall out
Hopefully won't have to do it any time soon,but thanks for the help,I'll keep it in mind.

That seems like very good value for a job that leaves no tidying up and one easy pass on the land. How did the machine handle any wire that it would've come across? How heavy were the hedges that it was dealing with?
Owner says that mulcher handles barbed or straight wire perfectly but with sheep wire it can throw it and crack glass on the machine. All of those hedges were sheep wire free.

Got a wheel on a weighbridge the other day, well the left rear to be precise. With the head about 3ft out from the wheel and in the standard position there's 4120kg on the wheel, move the head forward and it drops to 3920kg. At full reach with the head forward it's 5240kg, moved back its up to 5600kg. Total weight of tractor and trimmer plus some weights on the front is 9060kg.

Whats the criteria now as regards burning heavy waste from a cut hedge / ditch.
Can you burn or not?
Don't know if it's different from county to county but here you need to get a permit from the CoCo, think it's €25, you need to tell them the date and location and on the day you have to inform the fire brigade as well

Have the hedgecutter stripped now that the season is closed. Pins are in good condition but a good few of the bushings are poor. Its a mcconnel btw. Has anyone a good source for bushings and do you generally go for nylon again or go for bronze ones?

Have the hedgecutter stripped now that the season is closed. Pins are in good condition but a good few of the bushings are poor. Its a mcconnel btw. Has anyone a good source for bushings and do you generally go for nylon again or go for bronze ones?
It’s not April yet !!!!

Stick with the nylon, put bronze in the dipper pivot when I made the new arm and it didn't last a season, had to cut out the boss and fit a new one to take the nylon bushes. I don't know do they hold the grease better or what it is, used a chromed pin which seems to help too.

There was a fire last weekend....nothing to do with me...spontaneous combustion....or lightning....or something:whistle:

Back