Fertilizer spreaders

Depends what part of the country you are from. In the far south they use Kuhn go north and it’s Bogballe and in remote parts of Wexford it’s the Happy Dog .

Is a Kuhn the Uk version of whats sold here as a Rauch ? Fairly common around here . Few Vicon diehards , and a dairy farmer neighbor who spreads a lot of N , bought his 3rd New Amazone in 40 years , in 2018. lots of Cosmo/Abbey wagtails . Little tillage within 10 odd miles of here.

Is a Kuhn the Uk version of whats sold here as a Rauch ? Fairly common around here . Few Vicon diehards , and a dairy farmer neighbor who spreads a lot of N , bought his 3rd New Amazone in 40 years , in 2018. lots of Cosmo/Abbey wagtails . Little tillage within 10 odd miles of here.
Actually I meant Rauch .

@Skimmer did not get on well with his Vicon . Anybody buy one of the Italian ones Kelly is selling.
Good memory @Bog Man !!!! We had an Ro-M 1.5 Ton spinner, unfortunately it was one of the worst things that ever came into the yard. I'm sure they have changed a lot since we had it, but we could never get the settings correct straight away, and had problems with gearboxes either corroding away or letting in water or letting out grease. Told by the importer that we washed it too much. Then told that we washed it too little. When the rams for opening the shutters seized, we were apparently the only ones that experienced that problem. It was very nice of Vicon to modify later machines by fitting a grease nipple on the rams around the seal area. Apparently all because of our one machine. Hydraulic hoses had stupid plastic shrink wrap type coating around the steel fittings, so that fertiliser dust and water could get in and corrode the shite out of the fittings with no hope of being able to wash it out.
If I were going for a basic non weigh cell machine in the morning, I'd find it hard to look past a bogballe. They have one of the better methods of calculating flow rate, and the spread pattern is probably the most forgiving of all spinners.
Just my opinion though, I'm sure there are loads of happy vicon users out there.

@MF30 has one of the simpler Bogballe machines that Skimmer mentions and is happy with it.

Bogballe went through a poor patch with rust but still I know of two that era, one going strong and the other going up to last year and neither would be idle.

We've a Cosmo here, it's okay, light which is what we needed with a small tractor. Paintwork is pretty poor and not a patch on the much older Vicon we had.

If tractor size hadn't been an issue would have looked at a clean Rauch 732 or similar. Next spreader will be a Rauch or Bogballe but will be a while.

Had a rauch years ago and it was very easy to stripe with it.
Have a lely centreliner now and very accurate and easy to use.
Settings/ rates take a bit of thought though

@MF30 has one of the simpler Bogballe machines that Skimmer mentions and is happy with it.

Bogballe went through a poor patch with rust but still I know of two that era, one going strong and the other going up to last year and neither would be idle.

We've a Cosmo here, it's okay, light which is what we needed with a small tractor. Paintwork is pretty poor and not a patch on the much older Vicon we had.

If tractor size hadn't been an issue would have looked at a clean Rauch 732 or similar. Next spreader will be a Rauch or Bogballe but will be a while.
The L2 plus Bogballe we have does an excellent job without any striping and the application accuracy is very good. It'll hold 3 big bags of fert full to the brim and holds it close to the tractor so well balanced. Two little gripes I have with it is it's hard to see how much fert is left when it gets low through the glass screen as it's impossible to see the bottom of the hopper while looking over the cover from the drivers seat. The other issue which we didn't have with the vicon wagtail is that the split hopper at the bottom holds approx 50kgs over each disc and when spreading across hills and fert starts to get low one disc may run out of fert before the other. I often had to get down and handball fert from one side to the other to finish a run. These problems will be similar with most makes so they're not specific to Bogballe. The quality job it does far surpasses any of these minor complaints so in general I'd recommend it.
Also washing them takes a while as there are so many nooks and crannies for fert to lodge. I wash, dry and oil it after each use.

As mf30 said there bogballe take time to clean , but worth it in the long run. Neighbour had a 12 year old l2 I think and it was like new when traded in. It was always washed , let dry and oiled after every use. He went for a m2 again and it’s a super spreader , doesn’t have weight cells but does the job.

On the other hand I know heaps of fellas using rauch and all love them. As said the app makes it very handy to use once the products are Available on it.

The L2 plus Bogballe we have does an excellent job without any striping and the application accuracy is very good. It'll hold 3 big bags of fert full to the brim and holds it close to the tractor so well balanced. Two little gripes I have with it is it's hard to see how much fert is left when it gets low through the glass screen as it's impossible to see the bottom of the hopper while looking over the cover from the drivers seat. The other issue which we didn't have with the vicon wagtail is that the split hopper at the bottom holds approx 50kgs over each disc and when spreading across hills and fert starts to get low one disc may run out of fert before the other. I often had to get down and handball fert from one side to the other to finish a run. These problems will be similar with most makes so they're not specific to Bogballe. The quality job it does far surpasses any of these minor complaints so in general I'd recommend it.
Also washing them takes a while as there are so many nooks and crannies for fert to lodge. I wash, dry and oil it after each use.

Another vote for the basic l2 here. Easy to set. And once you have the flow value of the fert you can just refer to it every time.

I've had the same issue with fert on one side.
However afaik each disk spreads more or less the full width either side. So just halve your speed and keep going. Not ideal for arable or silage, but for grazing ground....

But any hopper that splits will have the same issue.

We have a Khun axis 30.1 or is it a 3.01 ??
Our man Flint is the main operator , he reckons it's the easiest spinner to use by far, he has an app on his phone that helps him with calibration n such like, and if there's any dramas with a specific phone call he can ring either the supplier IE bunns and ask them or Khun and ask them and between them it'll b sorted regarding products n flow rates etc etc, he swears by the machine,
He also cleans it religiously,,,, hot jet wash , every night ,,,, end off, and when he's done it gets penetrating oil on all the shiney bits, and then again when it goes to bed for winter,

I sue the a vicon wagtail in the orchards with a v short spout, again it's the dogs for doing row work as we do, easy to calibrate,

Edit: Will look at the plate on Monday but think the Khun is at least 12 year old looks good as new, has one small dink in it, put there by a careless loader driver,, (the big chief)

Back