Todays Photo

image.jpeg It isn't often your in a field that was photographed 160 years ago.

My picture is taken looking at where the other was taken from in 1859,the photographer was a founder of the Royal photographic society his cousin owned our farm back then,the field I'm in belongs a cousin of my wifes and although I'm Umbilicaling from my pit some 1600m away it took me 30minutes to get to the field by road.

image.jpeg

We were shaking some fertiliser today. All our machinery is old but in good working order, I had to laugh when my father said its a bit like the antiques roadshow around here! View attachment 62357

If it does the job what difference.:Thumbp2:

Would this be the usual time for you to be spreading ? Or a 1 off due to scarce fodder ?
I was up your country only once , in 2010 , and was surprised to see I reckon half the meadows cut on the 5 th of June. Back then , there wouldn't be 10 % cut here , a bit more nowadays alright.

If it does the job what difference.:Thumbp2:

Would this be the usual time for you to be spreading ? Or a 1 off due to scarce fodder ?
I was up your country only once , in 2010 , and was surprised to see I reckon half the meadows cut on the 5 th of June. Back then , there wouldn't be 10 % cut here , a bit more nowadays alright.
Its the first time we ever spread this time of year, after getting the soil tested it was found to be quite low in p and k so the recommendation was to spread 0/7/30 now. I'm not too sure about the results, we got it tested 2 years ago and the requirements were very different and also the results this year were almost identical for each field even though some got lime, some got slurry, some had 2 cuts of silage taken off it and some was just grazed? We are lucky we have plenty of fodder and I think most lads in our area area would be safe enough.
You would see plenty cut early June about here, we would usually be aiming for the first or second week if possible. Last year was an exception but the last few years around here there were a few fair to good weeks at the end of may/start of June and to try to make haylage we have to make the most of the weather. There is some difference in weather between here and your part of the country!

Any idea what length the blades are, 46 metre blades went up locally, each one is 9 tons so 27 tons plus the nacelle, a fair bit of mass rotating at 15rpm.
They are 56 metre blades I belive they are pretty big by Irish standards anyway.

Back