Broadband.

The latest move that we have made is to three. We bought a huawei router off ebay that takes a sim card, and bought a three prepaid sim card. We top up by 20 euro per month for unlimited data (its capped at 60gb, but that's loads for us). ..
So it's not unlimited then.

Am on satilite broadband with 10 yrs phones and landlines are with 3 out of contract with 6mts .eir started laying the fibre cables yesterday connecting up most of the area.any advice on plans ect

you jammy bast*rd. (although to be fair you've been in a black hole for long enoigh)

I dont think you've many options on the fibre? is anyone other than vodafone and eir actually offering it.

Actually sky are too

We're on the rollout map for the second half of 2018 so I'm really hoping to see diggers coming soon.. on a vodafone 4g contract that's fine speed wise but a bit flaky and expensive given the 50gb download cap.

Am on satilite broadband with 10 yrs phones and landlines are with 3 out of contract with 6mts .eir started laying the fibre cables yesterday connecting up most of the area.any advice on plans ect
Eir are nearly the last two years putting in fiber cable around here and there are very few connected yet. The fiber cable is on the road passing our house with about a year and the latest I heard was that it would be another six months before we would be connected.I would say you have plenty time to think about it.

Last edited:
I have no faith in Eir since my bad experience with them and they don't seem to have gotten any better since. There's a few people unhappy with the yarns they are being spun by Eir regarding connection to the fibre network and the customer service department seems like it could do with a course in how to help the customers. https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

Are there any websites that a person can use to check internet speeds in their area in particular a rural area?

I'm hoping to be working from home some of the week going forward and not sure if the old Vodafone dongle would hold up at that for a reasonable price.

Are there any websites that a person can use to check internet speeds in their area in particular a rural area?

I'm hoping to be working from home some of the week going forward and not sure if the old Vodafone dongle would hold up at that for a reasonable price.
I use this..https://www.speedtest.net/ .. might not be what you are looking for though.

No, too many variables. Your best option is to suck it and see. Three definitely have a 14 day cooling off period on their dongles so you can get a good test of it, Vodafone are probably the same.

I work in IT and regularly work from home off a Vodafone dongle for whole days or nights no problems. Often do a full day off the hotspot on my three phone too.

Apologies @Arthur it's a while since I updated that app and it does indeed have the coverage maps.

It seems we are on the border of decent and poorish coverage!

I'm Still on 3g here, anyone notice a difference when moving to 4g?

Thanks for your thoughts @JohnBoy
4g is a good bit faster than 3g but the signal isn't as strong.
1C51BB60-EFE0-4CBA-8CC0-066AB7510E69.png

No, too many variables. Your best option is to suck it and see. Three definitely have a 14 day cooling off period on their dongles so you can get a good test of it, Vodafone are probably the same.

I work in IT and regularly work from home off a Vodafone dongle for whole days or nights no problems. Often do a full day off the hotspot on my three phone too.
+1 on this, get a mobile router and test it and bring it back in the cooling off period if it's not right.
Also, make sure that whatever router you get is capable of taking an antenna which will boost signal.

Just to follow up on the 3 package, I was in their shop today and asked about trying their bundle and mentioned that if it didn't work I could cancel and bring back within 2 weeks.

I was told this is only possible if the speed is below 1.5mbps.

Last edited:
From my experience with 3 mobile broadband stay well clear of it . Had major issues with them trying to cancel an account after only 2 wk`s with them due to terrible speed .
Just to follow up on the 3 package, I was in there shop today and asked about trying their bundle and mentioned that if it didn't work I could cancel and bring back within 2 weeks.

From my experience with 3 mobile broadband stay well clear of it . Had major issues with them trying to cancel an account after only 2 wk`s with them due to terrible speed .

I had history with them too :Whistle2:. I know where their mast is here and I'd probably get better mobile broadband coverage with them if I was on the other side of the hill.

Just to follow up on the 3 package, I was in their shop today and asked about trying their bundle and mentioned that if it didn't work I could cancel and bring back within 2 weeks.

AHH, the time I tried them 1.5 would have been an upgrade!!!!!

Back