Feed out pictures.

I thought the fashion was to have all white faces,well it is round here.
Not here. Suffolk x mostly. Few texle x's in there too.
Do have a bunch of Whiltshire horn x texel about. They were run with easy care and exlana rams this year. So I suppose we are slowly going to the white faces.

A sufolk x is like a Fendt. Has a good resale value at the end. Even if the vario is close to giving out!

Not here. Suffolk x mostly. Few texle x's in there too.
Do have a bunch of Whiltshire horn x texel about. They were run with easy care and exlana rams this year. So I suppose we are slowly going to the white faces.

A sufolk x is like a Fendt. Has a good resale value at the end. Even if the vario is close to giving out!

I've always had a soft spot for Suffolks,my neighbour has a flock that lives infront of his house,he got my brother to make him a Suffolk weather vane at Christmas,my bro spent more time drawing sheep for a template than he did fabrication.

Reactions: AYF
In my sheep farming days, I always found the Suffolk to have the best growth rates .

We find the same. Cross everything to Texel tups and always find that any TX ewe has very nice lambs, but always last drawn from the field.

I'm going to put in a trough in this shed as I'm finding that I have to go back out at night to push it again. The last one cost me 100 euros a span in materials. What's the handiest way of way of making a timber trough?
View attachment 61191

I'm in the process of building them ATM. I made the uprights out of 3x2 angle iron and 14x2 timbers. I'm doing a span a day while I'm waiting for the feeder to chop the bales. There's a bend in the passageway which made it a bit complicated but the next few spans should be no hassle until I get to the end of the shed. :sweat:
IMG_20190125_143206.jpg IMG_20190125_143218.jpg

How are you going to get the silage in over that Peter, Diet feeder ? What if you had to clean away stuff are you not restricting yourself alot ?

How are you going to get the silage in over that Peter, Diet feeder ? What if you had to clean away stuff are you not restricting yourself alot ?

Yep I'm feeding into them with a Keenan feeder. There's no hassle with troughs I find once you keep them cleaned out with the yardbrush daily. It's keeping it pushed into them is my biggest hassle.

Could you make that removable for cleaning away waste?

It's not a big job to take them down if you wanted to. It's all bolted together except for the box iron that I welded from the trough to the pillar. The last set of troughs I fitted in the other shed are there seven years and I never touched them after.

Should be fine for silage here, we've just started selling some cattle so that should stretch it out. Although you never know what way the weather is going to go so could in theory have 3 months of feeding left if things don't play ball

Very tight around here in general, bales making big money. Problem with bales is they are costly to transport them any distance. The lorry men hate dealing with them because they can’t get same number of bales on the lorry compared to hay or straw.

The store cattle are getting a mix of pit silage along with a few kgs of wholecrop barley mixed through it. Its lasting very well considering that theres no ration been used. How is silage stocks lasting around the country?
View attachment 118394View attachment 118395

Will be okay here personally but regionally it will be tight. A lot of fodder has moved already, high throughput in marts and hopes for an early spring.

Back