Feed/meal silo with auger

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have it on my mind to invest in a small meal bin for the farm in Galway. Would be using 3 to 4 fills a year (12 to 16 ton in total - but that's 24 to 30 trips to the merchant with the half ton bin and my time is limited and valuable). We can avail of Tams for a grant for it.
Have it on my mind to buy a square bin with an opening lid which might allow us the flexibility to buy locally grown barley down the line.

Anyone got any prices lately on a 4 to 5 ton bin? Is it worth going for a square bin or should we be looking at a spiral one? No auger or anything fancy needed with it!
A friend told me today he was quoted I think 2k plus vat for a 4.5T bin. And 2200 for a 6T.

Access is poor in the meal shed here. The roof is high enough to tip an 18 ft trailer but you won't work a lorry there. I'm thinking about getting a load blown in from the outside. What size pipe will I need to suit the lorry?

Access is poor in the meal shed here. The roof is high enough to tip an 18 ft trailer but you won't work a lorry there. I'm thinking about getting a load blown in from the outside. What size pipe will I need to suit the lorry?
I'd say they'd have several pipes for their lorry, one that used to deliver here years ago had 4 lengths that clipped together. Ring the delivery man or sales rep and ask if he has extra pipes?

I'd say they'd have several pipes for their lorry, one that used to deliver here years ago had 4 lengths that clipped together. Ring the delivery man or sales rep and ask if he has extra pipes?

I'm thinking about making up a lenght of pipe and fixing it to the wall outside and making it a permanent job.

On an old shed of mine I bolted a 5' length of 4" pipe and an elbow,saved me from holding the pipe every time.

Ya it's four inch they have on the lorries. They will blow it in without a permanent pipe fixed. But it would be nicer set up properly. It's a Job we need to do here where we blow in the cattle meal.

Make sure they are clearly labled.

A rep was telling me of a lad that hooked up to a downspout in the dark! It went down the side of the shed to the other end..... It was dark.... It fitted the description!

Only a 5t drop luckilly!

Do you have lorries that unload with augers?
I buy nuts and its cheaper to auger unload (10 inch) than have them blown, so I bought a top fill bin 1400e for 4 tonne.

Some good news. Just before christmas the dep of ag announced that the Tams grant would be available for stand alone meal bins which means that beef, suckler or sheep farmers could avail of grant without having to install a parlor feeding system. No details on it yet, but I expect that they will be taking applications in a few weeks.

I'm thinking about making a box up at the end of the pipe to do that.
Any ideas welcome.:Thumbp2:

Never did anything since about making up a pipe. Blew in a load this morning this way and it worked the finest. The only problem is having to be there.
IMG_20190211_123854.jpg IMG_20190211_123919.jpg

Never did anything since about making up a pipe. Blew in a load this morning this way and it worked the finest. The only problem is having to be there.
View attachment 62994 View attachment 62995
Was only talking to a lad that delivers bulk on Saturday. He was saying 4” sewer pipe is ideal and has had several lads put it in that are trying to fill sheds like yours . Just don’t touch the pipe with out gloves the static shock is severe . Can bolt the correct fittings straight on to the sewer pipe .

Was only talking to a lad that delivers bulk on Saturday. He was saying 4” sewer pipe is ideal and has had several lads put it in that are trying to fill sheds like yours . Just don’t touch the pipe with out gloves the static shock is severe . Can bolt the correct fittings straight on to the sewer pipe .
I would not do that as the dust might explode. We used a blower to move grain through sewer pipe and at night the flash was unbelievable.

We have sewer pipe for blowing into our meal store at home. Been there for 15 years now and never had an issue with it.

Anyone buy a meal bin lately?
Looking at a 6 tone one here at some stage in the next few months. Big variation in prices. Vmac with the closed in bottom is coming in well in excess of 3k. It's more expensive than the department allowance for that size when you count the cost of putting in a new base as well. I'm seriously considering going for the cheapest one available. It's basic. It's galvanised and painted. It has a discharge hopper which is easy to work. I'm planning on putting it beside the shed, so it will be easy to bucket meal to the feeder or the troughs. I'm the only one that will have to look at it, so I can't justify spending an extra 1k for a designer one.

Back