Kidd double chop harvester

Were the NH 339 and 342 similar apart from the obvious colour change to all yellow, the 339 used threaded adjusters to set the knife clearance whereas the Kidd double chop used shims, they ran into problems when the once made a batch of warped flywheels as they had more shims on one side than the other and vibrated. there isn't much to a double chop that you couldn't figure out even without a manual.
Thought it was the Taarup that had the threaded adjusters,the Kidd and NH were just bolted allowing the knifes slip back if anything was picked up.

Thought it was the Taarup that had the threaded adjusters,the Kidd and NH were just bolted allowing the knifes slip back if anything was picked up.
The Kidd I used had shims and there was no way the knife could slip back, the flywheel would get bent if it got a good bang, the NH had screw adjusters but still did not allow the knife to retract, maybe they changed the setup later, it's about 40 years ago now.

First double chop l drove was an all red affair MF 168 and a taarup.
Cant remember if shims or bolts cos all l can recall about it was hot and noisy.
Next up went all blue with a kidd on a 5000.
It too was hot and noisy.
Next move was a different kidd on a 7610 which was not quite so hot and a nice bit quieter.
The final outfit reverted to red with a taarup and MF 399.

On the kidd the knives were shimmed and the paddles in slotted holes.
The taatup had threaded adjustment

Pity Q cabs didnt come in 10 years earlier WHAT !

After a long apprenticeship with single chops, we really moved into the Big Time:rolleyes2::rolleyes2: with a 5' Taarup double Chop driven by a 2wd zetor crystal.
Thought it was a pretty good harvester , at least it sent a good spray of grass into the trailer .
It had a tendency to shave off banks in the fields. Clay is not what you want to see in silage .
I bought the Taarup, second hand off a contractor in Roscommon .
I remember asking him what "horses" would it take to drive it. ( He gave a good answer)
80hp if your cutting your own.
180hp if your cutting for hire.

One for sale here. I know a neighbour bought one from a dealer in Carlow for less in better condition only two years ago or so :scratchhead:

https://www.donedeal.ie/silageharvesters-for-sale/kidd-silage-harvester/19568015

ZDFmM2ZmMmI1Y2JlYmJjMzIwZmRmNjMzN2YwZWE3ZWI7ODLxbRTS3ZKoVdJJ32keaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDcxODg2ODR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Was looking at that. I think thats the 3rd time it has been listed and the price hasnt changed. Hopefully ill get time to collect mine tomorrow. :Thumbp2:

Our first double chop was a Kidd driven by an MF178 it had shims to adjust the knifes which were auckward and the belly band was welded in place which was even worse.We had several Tarrups after which were a much better machine all round in my opinion.

we had one of them, I cant remember the 7710 ford on it but I remember it on 650 deutz, then we moved to a 339-still have it then a 342 but sold it, it didn't stay in the swath right dad thought. fj 900 ofther that but kept the nh as it was a fairly good one.

How this supposed to work? Does it slip when it becomes overloaded or is it like a sprag clutch to save the tractor pto brake band when shutting off the pto? How do I check its working correctly? Thanks.
20181027_180615.jpg

It should slip when the pto drive line torque rises above a set figure determined by the amount of pressure applied by by the bolts against the springs atm its probably seized solid needing dismantled and cleaned and reassembled.

If it was mine i would measure the length of the springs first

Then slacken them off most of the way and start the pto with a block of wood in the knife drum so the clutch slips for 10 to 15 seconds to clean things up then retighten the springs up to eithe the book setting or where you slackened them off from

We used to cut around 800 acres with a 6ft Kidd back in the early nineties. Drove it with a 150hp Ursus. One of the sweetest running machines we ever had in the place. 4 knives on the flywheel instead of 3 on the taarup dc 1500 we had before it. Not as robust as the taarup when the stone would go in though. If you get one will you post up a few photos please and thanks

We used to cut around 800 acres with a 6ft Kidd back in the early nineties. Drove it with a 150hp Ursus. One of the sweetest running machines we ever had in the place. 4 knives on the flywheel instead of 3 on the taarup dc 1500 we had before it. Not as robust as the taarup when the stone would go in though. If you get one will you post up a few photos please and thanks
There are some photos of it above. I will post some more during the week. What sort of acres were you clearing in a day with your one and the Ursus? I'll be sticking a 1255xl in front of mine. :Thumbp2:

Was that the Ursus with the double radiator on it??

Another very very tidy double chop.
https://www.donedeal.ie/silageharvesters-for-sale/kidd-346-double-chop/20752388

YWUwMjM2YTNmYzE2NTk2Zjk5MTc2YWM4Nzc3NmFkZDLVheJwsiCw-ZNWcYZZqufXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTYwMjc2NTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Back