Splitting a concrete tank

glengare

hi folks I have a slatted tank that is 4 bays long by 4 bay wide. It is a real torture to agitate when spreading slurry. It has opening in each internal wall 8x6 approx at each end. My question is would it be possible to seal these openings successfully to have it 2 separate tanks 4 bay x 2 bays

Is it possible to lift off the slats at the ends to have easy access to the openings . If so it would make it somewhat easier after that you`d have to get the opening spotlessly clean and lay block`s in the opening to close them or shutter the openings .
hi folks I have a slatted tank that is 4 bays long by 4 bay wide. It is a real torture to agitate when spreading slurry. It has opening in each internal wall 8x6 approx at each end. My question is would it be possible to seal these openings successfully to have it 2 separate tanks 4 bay x 2 bays

Is it possible to lift off the slats at the ends to have easy access to the openings . If so it would make it somewhat easier after that you`d have to get the opening spotlessly clean and lay block`s in the opening to close them or shutter the openings .
With a bit of work it probably would it’s getting the tank completely empty I’d say will be the biggest problem

is there some sort of breathing apparatus you could hire if you needed to get down into a slatted tank as there must be a foot of stuff in the bottom of most tanks

By right you need enclosed space training and a whole load of breathing aparatus and winching gear before you go down. Insurance is the thing to watch, cos I'd doubt that you're covered, especially if you send someone else down
As far as I know hss hire in Dublin do hire all the gear you need

Would it be possible to fit circulation pipes to different positions in the tanks to help get slurry moving for agitating? Dig trenches around tank break hole in tank wall fit 150mm pipe and backfill. has to be safer than going into tank to divide with a wall .

Wonder is there an air bag that you could drop into place and expand to close the opening.

simplest solution is probably not let it get so full and add a couple of loads of water to thin it a bit

Can you put a extra opening in to help stirr it? Water is the key. Stir at one end take out what you can and add back water and repeat. Not sure if a wall will help much. You ever look into a aireation system or trying the bugs you put in to help break down the slurry?

closing the opening will make no difference. I have 4 tanks, side by side all in one tank, and works perfect, just agitate each bay and then it flies around

I have a shed 5 bays long, 3 rows of slats, 2 spine walls with opes at both ends, agitation points at both ends of each tank ( 6 points)
It's a nightmare to mix. I start by mixing at each manhole ,it can't circulate until the level drops below the beams.
The you need about 60acres to take the stuff.
If you 1/2 empty it , then you have to start and mix the 6 points again.
I have been threatening to close up some of the openings in years. I can't see any other way of improving it.

Can you put a extra opening in to help stirr it? Water is the key. Stir at one end take out what you can and add back water and repeat. Not sure if a wall will help much. You ever look into a aireation system or trying the bugs you put in to help break down the slurry?
I put about 5 or 6 lorry load of pig or duck slurry in

I can see merit in what you are hoping to do, make it into 2 x 4bay doubles, should be easier mixed as you send the slurry down one side of the supporting wall and back up the other side, still difficult to mix properly until the slurry level is below the beams in the end openings. Another advantage would be you could empty one half at a time as opposed to emptying the entire down half way and having issues when it came to mixing the remainder. something to bear in mind if you do decide to close the openings is that if you empty one side afterwards the wall you build will have to be capable of supporting the weight of slurry at the other side.

I've a similar tank here. I put in a couple of extra manhole slats down a few years ago as I was having the same hassle agitating it. What I found was that the water was been pushed over to one side of the tank and leaving it solid on the other side. I got @laoisfarmer in to agitate a few years ago and we pumped the slurry over the slats and got it stirred that way. I do give the tank a stir mid winter now and I find that it helps a lot.

I have a shed 5 bays long, 3 rows of slats, 2 spine walls with opes at both ends, agitation points at both ends of each tank ( 6 points)
It's a nightmare to mix. I start by mixing at each manhole ,it can't circulate until the level drops below the beams.
The you need about 60acres to take the stuff.
If you 1/2 empty it , then you have to start and mix the 6 points again.
I have been threatening to close up some of the openings in years. I can't see any other way of improving it.

same thing here, should have had three separate tanks at the time, and mix what u need. our tanker is only 1300 and takes a load to the inch.

I can see merit in what you are hoping to do, make it into 2 x 4bay doubles, should be easier mixed as you send the slurry down one side of the supporting wall and back up the other side, still difficult to mix properly until the slurry level is below the beams in the end openings. Another advantage would be you could empty one half at a time as opposed to emptying the entire down half way and having issues when it came to mixing the remainder. something to bear in mind if you do decide to close the openings is that if you empty one side afterwards the wall you build will have to be capable of supporting the weight of slurry at the other side.

That’s something I hadn’t thought of very valid point

Back