Grass Measurement

How would this year compare to other years in the tonnes of grass grown . Would there be a shortfall of 30% for the year in comparison to other years . There was probably better utilization of grazed grass due to the dry conditions in comparison with a wet year .

How would this year compare to other years in the tonnes of grass grown . Would there be a shortfall of 30% for the year in comparison to other years . There was probably better utilization of grazed grass due to the dry conditions in comparison with a wet year .
I know your question is for people from your own part of the country bit here in the north west we saw approx 20% more grass growth. We also saw much better grass utilisation. Combine the 2 and I'd say that we got 30% more from grass than an average year.

I don’t measure but about 25% less, maybe more between the spring and then the dry weather. The autumn was good but did not make up for it

There’s a couple of grass measuring members of our discussion group saying their back near 40%,the drought broke far too late here almost mid September which was far too late to grow any volume of grass.
I don’t think we are that bad but the brother works up north cork side and he said the drought lasted a lot longer up there, west of Fermoy and north of that general area he said. Such a bollox of a year and costs gone out of all order

I was inquirying about a grass measuring course today there is 1 on alright it's once a month for 9 months on the same farm it's for for four hours each round and the cost is €500. Any one know is this gud/bad value for money worth doing .. ??

I was inquirying about a grass measuring course today there is 1 on alright it's once a month for 9 months on the same farm it's for for four hours each round and the cost is €500. Any one know is this gud/bad value for money worth doing .. ??

I assume that Is The Farmers Journal run One?

Sounds saucy enough To me For What Is mainly online Or In The print media!:undecided::undecided:

Money for jam. Go shadow a lad measuring grass and you will pick up as much as you need to know. Thought it was abit extreme

Grass 10 is free from Teagasc and is for dairy, beef and suckler farmers. I would have loved to sign up for it, but all of the local meetings are during the day.

I was with teagasc before bug left them.
No 1 that I know of padraig neway,are you measuring ?
No lad I don't. More eye ball. And take out paddocks if grass is getting strong or buffer feed if going to be tight. I don't get hung up on it really.

Dont know where youre farming but kerry are running a few of those courses with the journal and are paying half the price so its about 250. Im doing it myself to get a better idea of measuring and when to be taking out paddocks and where the afc should be during the year.

Ya padraig much the same as myself so if the grass is too strong I take it out for the pit or bales . I am farming in cork that's a big difference in price between 2 counties .

If you're in Cork get the lads from Cork grassland services in to do a few grass walks and go around with them .be a lot better than doing a course as your on your own farm all the time
Ya padraig much the same as myself so if the grass is too strong I take it out for the pit or bales . I am farming in cork that's a big difference in price between 2 counties .

Used to be in a discussion group and every meeting all it was, was measure grass. Completly turned me off. Grass is great and we know how to farm it to the limit. Some people get caught up on grass wedges and like to see the line running perfect on that, and maybe forget that just because there is grass there the DM might be low and cows will under perform. If you are on a 21 day rotation and suddenly you on day 15 and you can see two weeks grass ahead by counting up grazings ahead of you, well time to get the mower out or pull on buffer feed. It's for some people but not for me. You are in the heart of dairying down there surely someone who you could shadow at measuring

Used to be in a discussion group and every meeting all it was, was measure grass. Completly turned me off. Grass is great and we know how to farm it to the limit. Some people get caught up on grass wedges and like to see the line running perfect on that, and maybe forget that just because there is grass there the DM might be low and cows will under perform. If you are on a 21 day rotation and suddenly you on day 15 and you can see two weeks grass ahead by counting up grazings ahead of you, well time to get the mower out or pull on buffer feed. It's for some people but not for me. You are in the heart of dairying down there surely someone who you could shadow at measuring
at last someone that agrees with me or has the courage to say it, discussion group was pissed off with our advisor ramming it down our throats so we threatened to dig a hole and bury his clippers and square :angry:, i can see merit in a very big herd where a manager isn,t out in the fields every day keeping an eye on the grass but most lads are going for the cows themselves and spreading their own fert and slurry and have a fair handle on things

Back