Kieran 97's photos

Said Junk has either been re-purposed or disposed of. My great-grand fathers slean, scythe and bicycle would want restoring at some stage. He passed away in 1949
My Great Grandfather drowned in 1874 . His ship collided with another ship off Cape Finisterre .

The junk got me thinking there now and i thought of this video that may be of interest to ye. These two gentleman would have probably made that scythe. They appear 55 seconds into the video. They were the local blacksmiths. The younger of the brothers, Dan, who is the one working the sledge in this video, ran the forge up until about 2008, until his health declined. He passed away in 2012. They had great timing not to run into one another.

Kieran what did u use to space track out to keep it clear of sheets. Did shed few yrs ago an had bit a cobbling to get it spaced out from courageted sheets n gable. Box section on back of shed box iron worked a treat.

Kieran what did u use to space track out to keep it clear of sheets. Did shed few yrs ago an had bit a cobbling to get it spaced out from courageted sheets n gable. Box section on back of shed box iron worked a treat.
There was 100 x 100 box iron out up to hang the track on inside the iron. I made brackets out of 40 x 40 box and a bit of angle welded on the end with a hold drilled in it to hold the rail on. Cut square holes in the iron and slid in the 40 x 40 hangers and welded them to the 100 x 100 box

The junk got me thinking there now and i thought of this video that may be of interest to ye. These two gentleman would have probably made that scythe. They appear 55 seconds into the video. They were the local blacksmiths. The younger of the brothers, Dan, who is the one working the sledge in this video, ran the forge up until about 2008, until his health declined. He passed away in 2012. They had great timing not to run into one another.

I watched all 3 parts,a great talent with the rush,didn't fancy wading out to cut them.

I watched all 3 parts,a great talent with the rush,didn't fancy wading out to cut them.
There was a whole series of HANDS . A Tailor called Johnston from Tullow still open making a suit for one of the Tullow Engineering Nolan’s a brother of the Hi Spec lads . The Powers still running a small foundry in New Ross . There are many more as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hands_(TV_series)

Its amazing to see how people worked years ago, it was a great talent to have.

There was a whole series of HANDS . A Tailor called Johnston from Tullow still open making a suit for one of the Tullow Engineering Nolan’s a brother of the Hi Spec lads . The Powers still running a small foundry in New Ross . There are many more as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hands_(TV_series)

It remember watching it now and again when i was younger. It was interesting watching

When are making the 2nd payment ,

And get to collect the rest of it ? :rolleyes2:
The best of look to you on your project .
Would it be a JF ?

Oh the pile of money has been parted with and is quite small. It's just an ordinary tipping trailer, but I can see why you mentioned the jf.

IMG_20190514_175444.jpg
Turf cutting going on the last few days.
We try and make improvements every year, while trying to keep capital low.

Year two saw the introduction of the camera for the spout. A reversing camera for a lorry i bought off amazon

Year 3 seen the front weight and the larger digger bucket. It used to take 11 scoops to fill the bin and now we have it down to between 5 and 6. I was getting held at the boghole when it was wet. The extra weight up front helps put the power down.

This year, we made modifications to the auger to stop weeds building up at the top of the chute, (some of those who are friends with me on snapchat may have seen me making flanges out of an old sprocket)

The weight consists of an old fiat weight carrier i was given that weighs around 150kg. Fiat weights were around 400 for a set. So, i made up the tank. That consists of two gas barrels welded together, filled with concrete and various bits of scrap, and weighs around 200 odd kilos. I have extra disks i can put on to it to bring the combination up to 450 kilos. Cost me the grand sum of 19 euros. Not very glamorous but does the job.

IMG_20190514_175547.jpg

View attachment 65698

Year two saw the introduction of the camera for the spout. A reversing camera for a lorry i bought off amazon

Year 3 seen the front weight and the larger digger bucket. It used to take 11 scoops to fill the bin and now we have it down to between 5 and 6. I was getting held at the boghole when it was wet. The extra weight up front helps put the power down.

This year, we made modifications to the auger to stop weeds building up at the top of the chute, (some of those who are friends with me on snapchat may have seen me making flanges out of an old sprocket)

The weight consists of an old fiat weight carrier i was given that weighs around 150kg. Fiat weights were around 400 for a set. So, i made up the tank. That consists of two gas barrels welded together, filled with concrete and various bits of scrap, and weighs around 200 odd kilos. I have extra disks i can put on to it to bring the combination up to 450 kilos. Cost me the grand sum of 19 euros. Not very glamorous but does the job.

View attachment 65699
Was wondering alright what the sprocket was been cut up for .

View attachment 65698

View attachment 65699

Maybe you have said further back in your thread , Kieran , is it a 3 sod hopper ? As a 4 sod would be hard on a 95 hp tractor.
It's gone to a couple of big self propelled hoppers around here . Mainly 12 sods , with 300 hp plus Scania engines .
1 lad that myself and Mf240 know well made a couple of hoppers . I think the last one was 6 sod , which he may have shut off to 5 sods as it wasn't filling 6 . He drives it with an MF 3125 .
Mostly 13 tonners on 5 ft pads . You are working an.older version of a Hitachi UHO 25 ? Reach would be scarce with that ', especially if the.bog was wet and the need to keep away from the bog hole .
Thanks for the photos .

Maybe you have said further back in your thread , Kieran , is it a 3 sod hopper ? As a 4 sod would be hard on a 95 hp tractor.
It's gone to a couple of big self propelled hoppers around here . Mainly 12 sods , with 300 hp plus Scania engines .
1 lad that myself and Mf240 know well made a couple of hoppers . I think the last one was 6 sod , which he may have shut off to 5 sods as it wasn't filling 6 . He drives it with an MF 3125 .
Mostly 13 tonners on 5 ft pads . You are working an.older version of a Hitachi UHO 25 ? Reach would be scarce with that ', especially if the.bog was wet and the need to keep away from the bog hole .
Thanks for the photos .
Its a 4 sod hopper, but she manages it well. It does about 80 yards. It has a dog clutch for the mixer. So while im parked at the bog hole, i have her mixing. It leaves the stuff easier put out.

The bin isnt so much hard driven as hard pulled. There was a fella in the next parish used to drive his 6 sod kh with a john deere 6400 for a few years. He since bought a tm with ground drive. The landini jas ground drive too. The idea is if you put in a block of timber into it, you can use the ground drive to reverse the auger and throw the block out the inspection hole.

Yes, i have a uh02, the model before a 25. But she has pumps from a 33 so she has tucks of power. We used to cut turf in a particularly wet field for a lad before he sold it. One day the bin sunk to the axle and the digger pushed bin and landini out no trouble from behind.

As regards reach, the dipper is particularly long even for a long dipper model. I think its 11 foot between the pins. The digger driver, who owns the turf machine, has been cutting turf for 40 years. We often reach the bottom of the bog

Hes sitting in a particularly wet spot today but he's surviving. We're talking avout making a set of mats for next year.

Update.

Three minor but time consuming issues the first three days of the week with the bin had me annoyed and thought i was in bad luck. However, things picked up as tje week went on.

While we were in The bog the other evening a fella local to us called in looking for us. He cuts a bit of turf too but does a lot of work with a mini digger. He had burst a pipe in his digger. In exchange for giving a him a hand change the burst pipe on a zaxis 120, we have acquired his old mats free of charge. He bought larger ones when he bought the 120, he had an ex100 before.

8 x 3. Made a serious job for keeping the digger up as we were in a particularly wet spot.

Another turf cutter whos a neighbour of the digger driver who put wide pads on his digger has a few old mats and he's giving us our pick of them.

Its great sometimes just to be in the right place at the right time. Pity it doesn't happen more often.

Back