Spring Barley

jcb411abuser

First time growing any barley on the farm in decades. Don't even know what way to compare varieties.
3 to choose from in local co op
Planet
Paustian
Irina
Any advice suggestions would be welcome.

First time growing any barley on the farm in decades. Don't even know what way to compare varieties.
Planet
Paustian
Irina
If you are feeding it on the farm Irina while it yields well has a very narrow grain and does not roll well . Paustian has a plump grain and is I think of Scandinavian origin so can be sown late and harvest early enough.

Planet
Paustian
Irina

If your after straw then Planet or Paustian. I’d echo what Bogman says about the grain qualities.

Anyone chanced sowing yet? I harrowed a bit today but still a bit wet. I'd say should be fine by Monday but will be night shift only for the week.

Anyone chanced sowing yet? I harrowed a bit today but still a bit wet. I'd say should be fine by Monday but will be night shift only for the week.
Father said he's going to put the drill on tomorrow and see what Monday brings.

I’m tempted.....patience never my strong point!!!!
I have poor patience when I have a dry weekend and rain forecast for next Saturday. It makes it hard going to do a few hours each evening instead of a good run at a weekend. But as has often been said here don't muck it in.

I have poor patience when I have a dry weekend and rain forecast for next Saturday. It makes it hard going to do a few hours each evening instead of a good run at a weekend. But as has often been said here don't muck it in.
Your last sentence says it all. No panic at all yet. I’ve only finished the round up today.....

Will hopefully have it all ploughed by Wednesday or so. Will see what way the ground that has been ploughed a few months is drying like then to decide if we sow

Will hopefully have it all ploughed by Wednesday or so. Will see what way the ground that has been ploughed a few months is drying like then to decide if we sow
Saw headlands on a ploughed field pulled up with a grubber
I was surprised they actually looked fairly dry
I didn’t stop as I break out in a rash easily when I’m near ploughing

Last edited:
Was looking at my fields today and not over dry yet so going to scout around picking stones tomorrow and start harrowing on Monday. Tractor serviced, hooked up to press and ready to rock and roll Monday.

Land is soaking well and is still in absolutely superb condition following the good summer.

There’s a chance of a short blip in the settled weather next weekend. If that blip looks unlikely, I think we’ll do some ploughing at the end of the week - no point turning it up to the rain if it’s coming.

Barley must go into very good conditions, anything less will hit your yield and pocket. There’s no point jumping the gun for the sake of a week.

Land is soaking well and is still in absolutely superb condition following the good summer.

There’s a chance of a short blip in the settled weather next weekend. If that blip looks unlikely, I think we’ll do some ploughing at the end of the week - no point turning it up to the rain if it’s coming.

Barley must go into very good conditions, anything less will hit your yield and pocket. There’s no point jumping the gun for the sake of a week.
I still get nightmares about the thought of rain till the end of April like last year. I like to have it sown in March. I will chance away from Monday.

Will need another few dry days here still but dried out well today. I'd say it will be Wednesday/Thursday by the time my father gets going at it.

Giving a very small amount of rain next Sunday but planning on having the home farm sowed by then if weather keeps playing ball.

I've the drill on the tractor tonight and pipes to go on tomorrow :Thumbp2:

It could be a year where ploughing late may have been the best strategy after all!

Back