1st time beet grower

setting in ridges :no:, I have seen myself if we get a drying wind, the whole top of the rigde turns to powder, more ground for weeds and harder to get the feckers. Also have to plough for the next crop, easy know im a lazy fecker
What is the supposed advantage of ridges?

We just use a little Hoover to suck out remaining seeds and give it a few turns.
Had the 20 varieties sown in just over 2hrs.
I was thinking you hardly used a folded spoon! What size are the plots? Are they replicated around the site or just in one block? There is no point to my questions just curious!

Better for earlier sowing - ridge warms up quicker.

In heavier soils it’s less susceptible to waterlogging.

I’ve seen trials where maize planted in ridges performs better due to the temperature effect.

In the sugar beet days, the best growers around here started sowing on Patrick’s day.
I knew I was doing something wrong! As @Ozzyscott said there is a trade off with moisture retention, We always said Wheat should be in for Paddy's Day, barley from then to on and beet after 1st of April, (In an Ideal World) as a young boy I remember struggling through beet pulling starters/bolters and asking my Dad what caused them, he explained you got more of it with early sowing because the plant was stressed early on in life, I always resented early sowing after that .... until it was my own beet, happy out with it now as long as job is done and I can stop watching the weather.

On another topic with the loss in chemichals to control pests, later sowing may become a necessity/beneficial to give the crop a better chance of growing away from pest attack, is there any research showing any effect on yield from May sowing??

I knew I was doing something wrong! As @Ozzyscott said there is a trade off with moisture retention, We always said Wheat should be in for Paddy's Day, barley from then to on and beet after 1st of April, (In an Ideal World) as a young boy I remember struggling through beet pulling starters/bolters and asking my Dad what caused them, he explained you got more of it with early sowing because the plant was stressed early on in life, I always resented early sowing after that .... until it was my own beet, happy out with it now as long as job is done and I can stop watching the weather.

On another topic with the loss in chemichals to control pests, later sowing may become a necessity/beneficial to give the crop a better chance of growing away from pest attack, is there any research showing any effect on yield from May sowing??
i ordered "tarine" again

seems to work good here
sowed 20th may
lifted 20th october @ 30t/a
last of it used 20th march
nothing remotely scientific about it but yielded same as year before

nothing remotely scientific about it but yielded same as year before
Given the weather you'd have to be happy with that, I had beet in fresh ground (3 yrs from grass) and in ground thats tilling 25 yrs (at least) there was 7-8T /ac of a difference, extra organic matter made a huge difference in retaining enough moisture to keep beet moving. Was your ground long out of grass?

I do remember seeing yield trials (for sugar beet) for sowing date in college. It showed how getting full ground cover by a certain date had a huge effect on yield - May sowing wasn’t the way to go.

Given the weather you'd have to be happy with that, I had beet in fresh ground (3 yrs from grass) and in ground thats tilling 25 yrs (at least) there was 7-8T /ac of a difference, extra organic matter made a huge difference in retaining enough moisture to keep beet moving. Was your ground long out of grass?
50+year grass, 2 years spring barley before beet
Had 25t to the acre of fym

I was over the moon with the yield as It always looked thirsty

closed rows by the longest day?
Maximum leaf cover for the end of June. When the crop starts to meet between the rows you have only about half the ground covered with the leaves. Beet is usually growing very fast at that stage so a crop that is meeting between the rows for longest day of the year should be at maximum leaf cover for the end of June.

Maximum leaf cover for the end of June. When the crop starts to meet between the rows you have only about half the ground covered with the leaves. Beet is usually growing very fast at that stage so a crop that is meeting between the rows for longest day of the year should be at maximum leaf cover for the end of June.
then some fecker told me, with new varieties the rows should be touching the 1st of June.

I'm only powerharrowing that ground but I think it's Cagnotte
I'll be sowing my own tomorrow which will be Alisha and Geronimo

Due to unforeseen circumstances with the shit spreader my beet ground wont be getting dung

How many units of p and k will a decent crop need?
Fields are index 2 for p and k
I'll have to get some 14/14/21 instead of muck:undecided:

Due to unforeseen circumstances with the shit spreader my beet ground wont be getting dung

How many units of p and k will a decent crop need?
Fields are index 2 for p and k
I'll have to get some 14/14/21 instead of muck:undecided:
Hmmm,half hour after I posted this the dealers van turned up and started assembling the spreader....

11C67206-AF27-4D7F-8330-9005DFE56110.jpeg
Sowed late last night with the forecast for rain. It didn’t disappoint with it raining all night. Sowed in ridges from around 1996 but gradually everyone has gone back to the flat. Ridges are great but if you have to use a thyregod for any reason all the stones will be in the drill.

Attachments

• CB999F32-4B14-430C-87F1-EE2EF5DEC7BD.jpeg
    CB999F32-4B14-430C-87F1-EE2EF5DEC7BD.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 49
Back