Chain/pin harrow vs Tine harrow for grassland

c4l

Noticed the old man recently looking at chain and tine harrows on done deal. For a while I hinted at getting one for a few fields that I think need a new lease of life but he said to me he wants to sort out and stop the slurry from sticking and drying to the grass. So my question is, which is better? Chain Harrow or tine harrow for this kind of work?

Chain harrow for the slurry
Tine harrow for the grass rejuvination

Although the lads above have a fair point regarding timing and application method.

Only ever use the chain harrow here if contractors muck spreader has a bad day and leaves lumps! Don't own a tine harrow. If a field is bad re seed it.

Although the lads above have a fair point regarding timing and application method.

Only ever use the chain harrow here if contractors muck spreader has a bad day and leaves lumps! Don't own a tine harrow. If a field is bad re seed it.
we do things ourselves and last time we had a contractor in with a dribble or trailing shoe was last year when the fields were soaking wet so the tanker couldnt travel on em. we wouldnt bring em in unless there was a rush to empty out the tank before things got worse. dont like to spend too much money you know. and no point over summer when the tanks are half full and call someone in to empty one of em when there is 10 loads left lets say

Reactions: AYF

You have sheep which helps they remove most of the bottoms which would be targeted with a grass harrow.

Reactions: AYF
You have sheep which helps they remove most of the bottoms which would be targeted with a grass harrow.

Much as I hate the woolly maggots they are as you say excellent for clearing up grass in late autumn, and they'll take out ragwort and most weeds at a young stage,, and not poach the ground like cattle,,

Although they want to die, escape get worms, get out, die (again,,,,,)'m ,,,,,,,,,,,

Back