Turbo Issues

eddie86

Hi Lads,
Looking for a bit of guidance here.
My car has been smoking a bit and burning oil through the turbo the last year or so getting progressively worse so i eventually stripped it out and changed the turbo core/cartridge for a new powertec part.
2 weeks later now and everything has gone back to as bad as it was pre-turbo change, oil blowing through the turbo again and at least as smokey as before.
It looks like the new part has failed, my question is did i get a dodgy part or should i be looking at something else before i bolt in another one?
It was a budget part as the car is pushing on but I expected it would last a year or so anyway.

Cheers for any help.

Did you clean the intercooler etc? Oil can pool in the piping and cause lots of hassle.
I didn't flush the system but did drain it out quickly. It would cause smoke for a while as it all burned through but I don't think it would cause the new turbo to fail though. Seems like the seals have failed again. :scratchhead:

If it has a warranty I'd send it back and get another one. Failing that try a breakers yard for a 2nd hand one.

What model car is it? Carbon can often clog the oil strainer meaning the turbo isn’t getting enough lubrication and they don’t last long then. From what I see manufacturers recommend to long of intervals between oil changes and the Oil gets to thick. The 1.6hdi Peugeot engine as used in a lot of cars is especially prone to it.

I'm useless on car engines but for the focus here the mechanic says he drops everything down and cleans oil off completely. Says they last no length otherwise

Car is Saab 93. 07 with 180k miles.
Seemed to be leaking oil through the turbo.
I changed the turbo core and it seemed to improve for a week until it started to get worse.
Looks like I'm going to have to get a recon turbo and try again.
Probably need to clean the system out better but still don't think that would cause seals to fail so quick.

Not sure if it is relevant to the Saab engine or not but check the crankcase breather if it has one, they can block and did so regularly on earlier bmw engines, pressurising the engine cavities. This pressure needs to escape and a common way out was through the turbo oil seals, could be your trouble

Check that there's not a gause type oil filter in the pipe feeding the turbo , they can get clogged up

Back