Grass testing Nitrogen

bk1991

So what way is best to get the nitrogen levels tested in grass and is there any other tests that should be done for cutting silage ? I have put 4 bags of 18/6/12 out on the silage ground which wasnt grazed since oct so theres a fair bit of grass on field and i dont want it to go too long .
Bearingin mind I am only learning the past 2 years as the bods man usualy took care of that side of things . I know i let the grass go to stemy the first year .

So what way is best to get the nitrogen levels tested in grass and is there any other tests that should be done for cutting silage ? I have put 4 bags of 18/6/12 out on the silage ground which wasnt grazed since oct so theres a fair bit of grass on field and i dont want it to go too long .
Bearingin mind I am only learning the past 2 years as the bods man usualy took care of that side of things . I know i let the grass go to stemy the first year .

When did you spread the fertiliser? Grass uses around two units of nitrogen per growing day. You can get the Grass tested if you're still doubtful.

Was out the 22 of april. So that would leave it roughly 27th may ? I was chatting a dairy man and he told me to try get tested before it incase its gone before the 2unit day guide ? Is it worth it ?

Was out the 22 of april. So that would leave it roughly 27th may ? I was chatting a dairy man and he told me to try get tested before it incase its gone before the 2unit day guide ? Is it worth it ?
Get it tested. Simple enough to do. And a cheap insurance.

Cutting in the afternoon and wilting for 24hrs will give higher sugar levels in the grass so will help for better quality silage if your inclined to cut a few days early.

What constitutes a growing day though? We've had such a run of cold days would it really be fair to say that 2 units would be used up those days?

What constitutes a growing day though? We've had such a run of cold days would it really be fair to say that 2 units would be used up those days?
Think that the 2 units a day is used as an average guide over a few weeks, might use up 1 unit today but 3 tomorrow etc

Spread 2.5bags fertilizer on the silage ground 29th March, thus the 6weeks would have been up last friday. Gave an additional top up of a bag on the 15th April or thereabouts. (27-2.5-5 I think it was)

Tested yesterday, all the nitrogen is gone much to our amazement, thus we will be cutting next week, not a huge crop by any means.

Anyone else done any testing for nitrogen ?

Last year it was the 24th April we spread the 3.5bags all in one go, and it still wasn't gone the 1st June, 6 weeks later.

I’d say grass has doubled here in the last week,so nitrogen is still being used,I aimed for the 27th of May cutting,some is ready now some not,I just hope it stays fine.

When you get silage tested for nitrogen does the result come back saying how much nitrogen is left in it or just a yes/ no to nitrogen still in the leaf?

As said above 2units / day usage is a guide. Def go get it tested. I'd sooner have more stem in it rather than a high nitrogen value and it gone to dung on you in the pit. The co op should be able to do it for you

Back