Factory Prices General thread

Its hard to know what will happen, will the farmers money just go to finishers, will they base it on the pruces individual farmers recieved, will itbe per head based on type of luvestock, id disagree witg you Nash, lads on the ground are desperate if its anyway wirkable at all id expect a big take up.

I will take it with open arms, but its all wrong, its will give a false confidence. maybe the feed industry and supply side are doing serious lobbying as merchants most be seriously worried whats due to them from beef farmers. As one merchant said to me, what can they do only extend credit as these were always good customers.

I will take it with open arms, but its all wrong, its will give a false confidence. maybe the feed industry and supply side are doing serious lobbying as merchants most be seriously worried whats due to them from beef farmers. As one merchant said to me, what can they do only extend credit as these were always good customers.
Yeah id agree with you, the more fiddling you do to the market the longer you extend the problem, if lads get out of trouble this year they will just load up and go again..... is brexit sorted no.... will it be sorted by christmas no .. is brexit the real problem no.. where will we be in 12 months time still sat here with the same problem. Supply and demand.

Smoke screens and game playing. It's nothing more. At the independent beef summit last week (ran by the IFJ and IFA), Independent Farmer (and IFA Livestock Chairman) Henry Burns stood up and stated that the beef sector needs €100 million in compensation for Brexit losses and less than a week later this great friend of the Irish Farmer (and even better friend of the IFA), Big Phil, announces a €100 million package. Just like the IFA meat factory protests when cattle get scarce and prices are ready to rise, this announcement came very timely. The IFA asked and they were giveth. I'm sure the IFJ have several pages of praise for them today. Henry and the IFA knew last week that this money was on its way.

This crap is all staged. Press releases are timed to make people look good. The IFA will determine where the money goes once the advisors and planners get their cut. It will be shared out in the usual way which benefits the least number of people and the least needy.

At the end of the day, incentivising farmers to produce beef only helps meat factories to continue to secure meat at prices below the cost of production. If the government really want to help beef farmers, then the focus should be on reducing the numbers of beef cattle and suckler cows by incentivising other uses for agricultural land. I have said it before about the midlands peat burning power stations whose peat burning licences run out over the next 3 years. Our government, instead of incentivising local farmers to grow biomass to burn in these power stations, are going to import wood pellets from the USA and haul them from the ports in trucks. It's going to cost billions of euro to meet climate change targets which could be easily met by farmers in our own country - but no. The government are controlled by big industry such as meat factories and they won't do anything which might knock a % off larry's profit margin!

Last edited:
When would you move heifers and cows, have a few fit but could hold till June if I thought price would be bettrr

It has been rising this last 2 weeks and all media reports that factory fit cattle are scarce. Taking the chance here to hold on to a few until mid june. Grass is scarce but supplementing them with a small bit of meal - hoping that it will pay. Gotta have them off by mid june as some reach 30 months by the last week in june.

I
It has been rising this last 2 weeks and all media reports that factory fit cattle are scarce. Taking the chance here to hold on to a few until mid june. Grass is scarce but supplementing them with a small bit of meal - hoping that it will pay. Gotta have them off by mid june as some reach 30 months by the last week in june.
Id agree if cattle are at grass hoald them Id say there is more in this rise tahn we ve seen yet I woyld be hoping 4 for steers and 4.10 for heifers by the end of the month.

When would you move heifers and cows, have a few fit but could hold till June if I thought price would be bettrr
Allot will depend how long they are at grass, cattle are very forward this year, anything thats a bit butty I wouldnt be holding onto too long. I have my first load of grass cattle killed this morning so I will see how they go. Lad told me yesterday he was after get 33% in a load either 4+ or 5s, all been cut in price big time

Allot will depend how long they are at grass, cattle are very forward this year, anything thats a bit butty I wouldnt be holding onto too long. I have my first load of grass cattle killed this morning so I will see how they go. Lad told me yesterday he was after get 33% in a load either 4+ or 5s, all been cut in price big time

Ya you seem to be very unfortunate in the factory, you'd be better of selling in the mart. :tongue::tongue::blink::wink:

It's really a 100 million that beef processors won't have to pay farmers to keep them in business.
€100 million support fund for beef farmers ‘secured in Brussels’ ,, a bit misleading as a headline, €50 million coming from Brussels and the Govt is expected to match it, TBH I'd prefer to get a price well above the cost of production and not to have to do a form filling data collecting exercise to secure a few € down the line.

Its hard to know what will happen, will the farmers money just go to finishers, will they base it on the pruces individual farmers recieved, will itbe per head based on type of luvestock, id disagree witg you Nash, lads on the ground are desperate if its anyway wirkable at all id expect a big take up.

I think it is going to open a huge can of worms, no one knows when it will start from either to add to your points.

I very much take your point and like others have said, if it's any way workable will be applying but when you see what's happened with BEEP, BDGP, GLAS, TAMS etc it doesn't fill me with great confidence other than advisors will be rubbing their hands with glee.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/profitable-dairy-beef-production-what-does-it-take/

I've been getting some amusement and bewilderment from the exhibits at today's DairyBeef event in Teagasc Johnstown castle.

Take the table mid way down.

They are showing carcass weights below 250kgs whereas to my mind the factory cutoff is closer to 280kgs.

Or has the market changed completely and I'm out of touch..:scratchhead:

Also interesting to see Teagasc are trying to promote cross bred dairy/beef finishing and how great carcass weights are.:confused3::confused3:

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/profitable-dairy-beef-production-what-does-it-take/

I've been getting some amusement and bewilderment from the exhibits at today's DairyBeef event in Teagasc Johnstown castle.

They are showing carcass weights below 250kgs whereas to my mind the factory cutoff is closer to 280kgs.

Also interesting to see Teagasc are trying to promote cross bred dairy/beef finishing and how great carcass weights are.:confused3::confused3:

why dont they do performance per animal vs there per ha:laugh:

230 is the figure i ve heard with AA heifers as a minimum

just looking at the heifers killed at 19months, net margin of €220 per animal (€873 per ha) excluding rent/interest and labour by the looks of things.

Rent would be 500ha
intersest 150ha
labour ???
Buy the calves for €150
getting a breed bonus of 30c

table looks like big losses to me

just looking at the heifers killed at 19months, net margin of €220 per animal (€873 per ha) excluding rent/interest and labour by the looks of things.

Rent would be 500ha
intersest 150ha
labour ???
Buy the calves for €150
getting a breed bonus of 30c

table looks like big losses to me

In the booklet, it goes through the 14 teagasc green acre farms for 2018. Average Net Margin on the 14 of them was -€38 per per hectare with an average farm size of 53 hectares.
So one with the other, the average on farm losses was just over €2k. Highest loss was €1500 per hectare and the most profitable farm made €421 per hectare.

So instead of being called "sustainable grass based production", this project should be called the "unsustainable model" and the current slogan of "advancing knowledge for an evolving industry" should really be simplified to "what not to do"

In the booklet, it goes through the 14 teagasc green acre farms for 2018. Average Net Margin on the 14 of them was -€38 per per hectare with an average farm size of 53 hectares.
So one with the other, the average on farm losses was just over €2k. Highest loss was €1500 per hectare and the most profitable farm made €421 per hectare.

So instead of being called "sustainable grass based production", this project should be called the "unsustainable model" and the current slogan of "advancing knowledge for an evolving industry" should really be simplified to "what not to do"

I agree, why are Teagasc promoting these models when the most profitable farm is making just €421 per hectare (€168 per acre).
Lads would be better off letting out their land (tax free income on a lease and no work) !!! IMHO Teagasc should not be promoting anything that delivers less than 500 per acre profit (I know it sounds like a lot but when return on land value and payment for labour are taken into account it's really not). The model they are promoting has guys working very hard for very little.

I agree, why are Teagasc promoting these models when the most profitable farm is making just €421 per hectare (€168 per acre).
Lads would be better off letting out their land (tax free income on a lease and no work) !!! IMHO Teagasc should not be promoting anything that delivers less than 500 per acre profit (I know it sounds like a lot but when return on land value and payment for labour are taken into account it's really not). The model they are promoting has guys working very hard for very little.
They are promoting that... it's called dairy and when they keep talking up dairy everyone complains that it's the only show in town.

No beef enterprise is going to return 500 quid an acre over a period of time and setting it isn't for everyone

They are promoting it to ensure that there's an outlet for surplus dairy calves.

Back