What are you up to in the workshop?

So zero grazer met with an accident. More like driver had a brain fart resulting in a bent shaft that goes through the drawbar . Managed to get one from the factory yesterday evening. Anyone care to say what they think is wrong with the new shaft

3CC444C4-2AFB-4AFF-B59F-23608E77DE84.jpeg

bad machine working when being made, deffinatly a weak spot there and possibly where a bearing sits

So zero grazer met with an accident. More like driver had a brain fart resulting in a bent shaft that goes through the drawbar . Managed to get one from the factory yesterday evening. Anyone care to say what they think is wrong with the new shaft

View attachment 66714

Is the end welded on ever so slightly off center?

Either that or the locking groove looks wrong somehow!?

View attachment 66714
Looks like a hot spot in the thinnest part, possibly a welded joint not built up enough to turn back down level. It appears to be polished rather than machined on its length which is what I'd expect from shaft steel. Definitely a weak spot there.

plasma cutter looks like a handy thing to have. whats the maximum thickness that you can go cutting until you cant cut all the way through?

Mine is a pretty small one and is rated to 12mm clean cut and 16mm sever cut, i've done 10mm with it no bother.

Mine is a pretty small one and is rated to 12mm clean cut and 16mm sever cut, i've done 10mm with it no bother.
not bad i guess. i'd say you know yourself with the gas cutter, doesnt leave a good cut no matter what size material you work on. plasma cutter be better in that regard. my old man made an adapter for the tm to allow us fit a ford weight carrier on it, just looks jenky in terms of the edges and holes

not bad i guess. i'd say you know yourself with the gas cutter, doesnt leave a good cut no matter what size material you work on. plasma cutter be better in that regard. my old man made an adapter for the tm to allow us fit a ford weight carrier on it, just looks jenky in terms of the edges and holes

Cutting 3-5mm stuff the cut is pretty clean if you can keep at the right speed with the torch, cutting out shapes like that it's not easy moving fast enough.

What college course you doing?
just done my first year in mechanical engineering. its an alright course. kind of found it boring at times we had a workshop and welding modules which made up for it. i like the workshop stuff but god awful at it. guess i'll get better with experience

just done my first year in mechanical engineering. its an alright course. kind of found it boring at times we had a workshop and welding modules which made up for it. i like the workshop stuff but god awful at it. guess i'll get better with experience
Where you doing that?

bad machine working when being made, deffinatly a weak spot there and possibly where a bearing sits
Its exactly where the bearing sits . The drilled hole is used for the grub screw on the bearing to set the distance it sits out past the bearing .
Is the end welded on ever so slightly off center?

Either that or the locking groove looks wrong somehow!?

It looks like a badly repaired shaft rather than a new one
Supposed to be new .

Looks like a hot spot in the thinnest part, possibly a welded joint not built up enough to turn back down level. It appears to be polished rather than machined on its length which is what I'd expect from shaft steel. Definitely a weak spot there.
It looks like someone went at it with a flap disc on a grinder when you look at it from another angle . The overall lenght of that shaft is 19" the other side isnt as bad but terrible at the same time . Shaft isnt even running straight between the 2 bearings and a fine wobble on the pto when its attached .

Its exactly where the bearing sits . The drilled hole is used for the grub screw on the bearing to set the distance it sits out past the bearing .

Supposed to be new .

It looks like someone went at it with a flap disc on a grinder when you look at it from another angle . The overall lenght of that shaft is 19" the other side isnt as bad but terrible at the same time . Shaft isnt even running straight between the 2 bearings and a fine wobble on the pto when its attached .
If the shaft isn't running straight or is wobbling I'd be afraid it'll let go at speed when a good load is applied. It's really not acceptable to sell a part like that, as long as it doesn't damage another part of the drivetrain or tractor you'll be lucky.

Back