Farmland and environmental protection

This is a square with wildflowers in it. I mow it during the winter and rake the cuttings off to reduce the fertility . It used to be a messy area now it is a messy area that is good for pollinators.
5C0299BF-BE62-45F1-A0D1-67A8E759CB77.jpeg
B14673CC-E2BF-48E9-BFB7-75FF050D759F.jpeg
76A8933E-9870-4754-9A96-76EC13334A17.jpeg
FDF9E175-FE2C-45A6-AA59-74DCAAA388DB.jpeg

Question for the Agronomists on here. I have sown wild bird cover for GLAS for the past 3 years in two plots, Seed is premixed by Bright Seeds UK bought locally. Four species, Triticale, Linseed, Mustard and Phacelia. The first year it had fantastic colour and all four seemed to grow well. However last year it was mainly the triticale grew and the rest barely showed at all, I put that down to the drought. This year they all seem to be starting all right but i have a lot of weeds. I have been afraid to spray it because of the risk of killing off any of the four. Any advice on a cheap spray to use that will be able to kill weeds but not affect any of the four mentioned?
First photo is July Year 1, second and third photo are current state with the weeds. Any advice welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    543.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 2019-06-08 13.38.35.jpg
    2019-06-08 13.38.35.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 171
  • 2019-06-08 13.38.45.jpg
    2019-06-08 13.38.45.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 167
Question for the Agronomists on here. I have sown wild bird cover for GLAS for the past 3 years in two plots, Seed is premixed by Bright Seeds UK bought locally. Four species, Triticale, Linseed, Mustard and Phacelia. The first year it had fantastic colour and all four seemed to grow well. However last year it was mainly the triticale grew and the rest barely showed at all, I put that down to the drought. This year they all seem to be starting all right but i have a lot of weeds. I have been afraid to spray it because of the risk of killing off any of the four. Any advice on a cheap spray to use that will be able to kill weeds but not affect any of the four mentioned?
First photo is July Year 1, second and third photo are current state with the weeds. Any advice welcome.

I may be wrong but I think you are not allowed spray any pesticides on wild bird cover , only to kill it off after the end date

I may be wrong but I think you are not allowed spray any pesticides on wild bird cover , only to kill it off after the end date
Thanks Sissons, I had been going along those lines including no fert but now feel the crop would be better without the weeds. Open to other views.

I have been using that mix from Bright Seeds as well for the last two years but this year replaced one third of the seed with John’s Delight which is the same as the GLAS mix but includes poppy ,crimson clover ,gold of pleasure (whatever that is ) and cornflower for added brownie points!

I have been using that mix from Bright Seeds as well for the
I have been using that mix from Bright Seeds as well for the last two years but this year replaced one third of the seed with John’s Delight which is the same as the GLAS mix but includes poppy ,crimson clover ,gold of pleasure (whatever that is ) and cornflower for added brownie points!
Good idea to mix them. I considered changing over to Johns delight this year but it's a good bit more expensive for the lot. I wouldn't mind using some next year like you did.

There was notice sent out to all farmers in the Burren River Catchment in Carlow about a meeting at KEARNEY s pub and undertakers in Fenagh . It is to do with sustainability of agricultur and water quality. The catchment is sampled five times a year at different points This guy is doing a net sample and stirs up the river bottom for three minutes and puts the catch in a white tray and counts the catch . The nature of the catch reflects the pollution level of the river and it is given a score . They will be visiting farms and if you are polluting the river they will give you a hug . There were people from Teagasc Glanbia and the Local Authorities.
F45EB236-9A56-49B5-9DF4-DDCB6C07FCE6.jpeg
103491E0-DE38-42E8-897E-4813C9B85CF5.jpeg
90691DB1-1CF4-40E1-86CE-E3D0A5355010.jpeg
07A7A0BD-A43A-4A27-B6E0-7B7E5F61B94B.jpeg

There was notice sent out to all farmers in the Burren River Catchment in Carlow about a meeting at KEARNEY s pub and undertakers in Fenagh . It is to do with sustainability of agricultur and water quality. The catchment is sampled five times a year at different points This guy is doing a net sample and stirs up the river bottom for three minutes and puts the catch in a white tray and counts the catch . The nature of the catch reflects the pollution level of the river and it is given a score . They will be visiting farms and if you are polluting the river they will give you a hug . There were people from Teagasc Glanbia and the Local Authorities.
View attachment 66988 View attachment 66989 View attachment 66991 View attachment 66992

There have been 30 teagasc officers appointed to similar roles around the country. They say that these meetings are to use the carrot method to try to get farmers to clean up their act rather than the stick method that they have been using for years by county councils bringing farmers to task. If the teagasc man approaches you about your pollution he will hold your hand and advise you on how to fix it.

I think they ring the farmer saying theres an issue locally with so so do u mind if I come into yours and test the stream etc... the farmer can refuse and that's that no more really about it

All this nonsense about the 6th mass extinction, biodiversity being lost, i've never seen so many different birds and insects over the last few years a lot of them I couldn't even name. Being out in the fields early I've seen bats owls eagles, if anything I'd say biodiversity is increasing. someone needs to inform St Greta.

Anyone see Eco Eye tonight, a bunch putting bundles of forestry brash onto river banks to stabilise the banks during flooding, has anyone ever told them wood floats..

A list of the birds seen by a Birdwatcher on the home farm.
Couple of Buzzards and Yellowhammers, speckled wood, orange tip and small tortoiseshell butterflies.
Woodcock. Snipe. Meadow pipit. Song thrush. Blackbird. Yellowhammer. Kestrel. Blackcap. Lesser black backed gull. Rook. Hooded crow. Linnet. Magpie.
Wheatear

Back