Wildlife on the farm.

Any 1 have any idea how to get rid of pigeons out of sheds ?
If their roosting you can get a small calibre cartridge for a rifle that wont damage sheeting, go in at night close the door, leave the light off,,get someone to hold the torch while you shoot you'll kill the lot of them in one go.

Can anyone recommend a wildlife trail camera for occasional use that has a good quality picture and video and good battery life.

Any advice on how to catch/kill magpies that are coming into a shed here? Can’t shoot them as it’ll break the roof and I don’t have an air rifle.

They’re coming in to rob eggs from blue tits and swallows. I want to kill them in the most painful way possible.

Any advice on how to catch/kill magpies that are coming into a shed here? Can’t shoot them as it’ll break the roof and I don’t have an air rifle.

They’re coming in to rob eggs from blue tits and swallows. I want to kill them in the most painful way possible.
Cage traps is the best way with them.

Or leave a corpse behind the shed. Somewhere in range of a 12 bore. And that you can just shoot through a gap.

I got 6 of them with a single shot a few years ago.
And five in two shots last year.

Takes a bit of patience. But you soon learn that they have certain times to come round the sheds. Oirs always knew sheds would be quiet after about 4pm!

You could get a loan of a cage trap from a local gun club. Once you catch one of them, keep it and he will attract more into the trap.

I’d like to buy my own Larsen trap I think, can anyone recommend an Irish supplier?

There was a little nest near the work bench, beautiful little set of whiteish orange eggs in it. I think it was a wrens nest. Shortly after the eggs were gone. I’d say it was magpies.
They were in there tonight terrorising a pair of blue tits.

Easy enough to get a Larsen,hardest bit is getting a call bird,you need 1 from a few mile away

Cleared about 60 pies out from here the last few years and the increase in songbirds is unreal :clap:

I managed by making a straw nest with some egg shells layed to look whole. They couldn't resist.
Know of a lad left a chicken in one for a day then took her out leaving shells in looking like eggs.
Had a pie within the hour!

I keep ying I need to go shooting more. Can't find the time. They are a plague around here. Remember a pair being an unusual site 20 years ago. 5 at a time is nothing now.

I managed by making a straw nest with some egg shells layed to look whole. They couldn't resist.
Know of a lad left a chicken in one for a day then took her out leaving shells in looking like eggs.
Had a pie within the hour!

I keep ying I need to go shooting more. Can't find the time. They are a plague around here. Remember a pair being an unusual site 20 years ago. 5 at a time is nothing now.

Was nothing to 15 together here
First day out with the Larsen we were getting pairs every 20 to 30 minutes for 4 hours

Reactions: AYF
I’d like to buy my own Larsen trap I think, can anyone recommend an Irish supplier?

There was a little nest near the work bench, beautiful little set of whiteish orange eggs in it. I think it was a wrens nest. Shortly after the eggs were gone. I’d say it was magpies.
They were in there tonight terrorising a pair of blue tits.
https://www.maceoinltd.com/vermin-control-traps-snares/

Go for the side entry larsen trap, find them a better job than the top entry.

https://www.maceoinltd.com/vermin-c...brothers-ploughing-sheep-lambing-multi-catch/

Have caught magpies with just leaving hen eggs in them.

Cork.
Do you have an active local gun club in your area. They should have vermin traps of their own where they would have them in use for vermin control. It is in their interest to keep vermin numbers down in order to promote game and wildlife conservation.

Cork.
Do you have an active local gun club in your area. They should have vermin traps of their own where they would have them in use for vermin control. It is in their interest to keep vermin numbers down in order to promote game and wildlife conservation.
I’m sure there is a local club but I don’t know any of them.

To be honest, I’d rather stay independent rather than relying on others.

Will the Larsen trap work for crows too? Could be very handy if it does.

That’s ok.
If you buy a Larsen trap you have to become a livestock farmer. You need a call bird for the trap and it needs daily maintenance even when trap is not in use or release bird at end of use. At this time of year vermin are territorial and local bird will protect its area and attack intruder and get caught in trap. When local problem is removed you move trap to other area. After breeding season it is less effective.
As regarding other birds, you may catch a grey crow but ordinary crows very rarely.

Back