Jeep from UK- vrt

f140

Does anyone know what is the story if you bring in a passenger jeep from the UK (lets say a touareg) and want to tax it as a commercial here in Ireland. can it be done and what would the vrt be?

I could be wrong but if it comes in as a passenger vehicle then you will have to VRT it as such here. To change it to a commercial you would have to get the necessary work done by an approved workshop and have it certified then reclaim the over paid VRT. You would want to investigate whether it would be financially wiser to have it made commercial over there or here. I know a lad that bought a crew cab Transit in the North and he had woeful hassle to get it as a commercial down here, I can't remember the full story of the rigmarole he had to go through.

Been a while since I imported along those lines but time was you had to pay the vrt on it as it was imported. So if it comes in as a private vehicle you'll pay out 36% or whatever the rate is nowadays and if it's imported as a commerical then you'll pay 200 euro. Tbh I wouldn't bother importing it as a private vehicle as it's scarcely worth the hassle.

I didn't import but bought in Irl, but my last vehicle was a Land Rover discovery 4 which was a 5 seater. This was deemed to be a commercial with €333 road tax. As DP said, when these come into the country the VRT is €200. To the best if my knowledge the same applied to Land Cruiser, Pajero and Rexton, all 5 seaters. I was told other 5 seaters did not comply so did not qualify as commercials.

@f140,
Vrt rate for N1 was 13.3%, is it still possible to get a car to qualify for N1?
Touaregs private road tax is €750, no annual DOE, NCT after 4 years and then every two years after that up until 10 years old.
Might be worth considering a private one depending on your situation.

As far as I know the department for begrudgery and not having nice things has blocked it so only vehicles that are commercial on the log book when they enter the country can be registered with the cheap vrt anymore

As far as I know the department for begrudgery and not having nice things has blocked it so only vehicles that are commercial on the log book when they enter the country can be registered with the cheap vrt anymore

I'm pretty sure that you are correct. You used to be able to bring in passenger versions of certain jeeps from the uk (Land cruisers, BMW's, Discoveries etc) and convert them to 5 seater crew cabs which would have the low road tax. Too many lads took advantage of it and they stopped allowing it.

Toyota are advertising they have a 5 seat commercial landcruiser available again. Revenue moved the goalposts in such a way that conversions are pretty much impossible and that very few vehicles qualify new.

Its something got to do with having x amount of litres space behind d 2nd row of seats. There was a lad on donedeal advertising to get most jeeps converted for commercial tax

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials...discovery-sdv6-2012-commercial-white/21949017

Ok lets say one gets a vehicle which is already a commercial up the north or in the UK how much will be the vrt then.

Vrt calculator won't let me put in this model in or lots of commercial models for that fact. How do I find out the vrt models?

13.3% of the open market sales price on the day that it was brought into the Rep of Ireland. Revenue will give you the value that they put on the vehicle. You can choose to appeal this value if you are not happy with it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials...discovery-sdv6-2012-commercial-white/21949017

Ok lets say one gets a vehicle which is already a commercial up the north or in the UK how much will be the vrt then.

Vrt calculator won't let me put in this model in or lots of commercial models for that fact. How do I find out the vrt models?

A commercial up north will be a two seater, there’ll be €200 vrt on a two seater from my understanding of it.
If your after a 5 seat commercial, I think you’ll have to buy one that’s already registered here.
@jd-baz what’s your view?

Back