Mercosur

99k tonnes of beef which is equal to around 1.25% of the European market or about a third of what we export to the UK at the moment and four times what we export to the US.

Can anybody put in context what the cheese gains are as it seems to me that a serious spin is being put on the gains from the dairy trade side of this.

99k tonnes of beef which is equal to around 1.25% of the European market or about a third of what we export to the UK at the moment and four times what we export to the US.

Can anybody put in context what the cheese gains are as it seems to me that a serious spin is being put on the gains from the dairy trade side of this.

I reckon that is all it is, spin to get it through. How does it make sense to encourage the South American countries to destroy more rainforest in order to produce more beef to ship to Europe and in Ireland farmers are being pushed to plant more forestry. If a primary school child came up with that notion they'd be slapped.
Those countries where there is rainforests should be enticed to protect the forests not destroy them. I've heard on radio programmes over the past few days that this deal is being pushed by the Germans.

We are one of the few EU countries that will be badly hit. As Nash says it's a third of our total surplus where most other countries are importers. We have to sell at a lower price already to compete against home produced beef in EU countries. The EU are now moving to a cheap food policy the same as Britain always have as they are afraid of food price inflation as people's real incomes are going backwards. We have a 60 million market in the UK on our doorstep and we need to stay on friendly terms.

Sounds like farming being sacrificed for other industries. Thrown under the bus.

I see Sustainability as the new buzz word at the Dairy open day. Like most farmers actually give a damn about it. Everyone from the banks to lads selling yard scrapers will be yapping on about sustainability now......:rolleyes2:

I hadn't realised that a 180k tonne quota was also granted for poultry. That to me sounds like a huge number when you bring it back to a per head basis yet nothing is being said about that either.

To put the 99k beef quota in context, average of 33k cattle slaughtered each week here at an average carcass weight of 300kgs. It's 10 weeks of our kill and that's taking all meat not the specified cuts that are being talked about.

Sounds like farming being sacrificed for other industries. Thrown under the bus.

I see Sustainability as the new buzz word at the Dairy open day. Like most farmers actually give a damn about it. Everyone from the banks to lads selling yard scrapers will be yapping on about sustainability now......:rolleyes2:

I hadn't realised that a 180k tonne quota was also granted for poultry. That to me sounds like a huge number when you bring it back to a per head basis yet nothing is being said about that either.

To put the 99k beef quota in context, average of 33k cattle slaughtered each week here at an average carcass weight of 300kgs. It's 10 weeks of our kill and that's taking all meat not the specified cuts that are being talked about.

That is huge when you think of it, both poultry and beef. When they were talking about possible tariffs re Brexit on a Newstalk item how much chicken is brought in from Thailand, even Pat Kenny was asking why we can't eat our own rather than exporting it. The extent and effect of globalism is crazy.

My father said to me that the same thing happened the beet because of some GATT agreement back in the 1990's. The bell was tolling from then for the industry. It did nothing for the third world cane producers either, just robbed them of the premium priced quota they already had to export to the EU which had the effect of putting a floor on their domestic market.

If this comes to pass it will mean the top end of our market is taken away by cheaper premium cuts from Mercosur countries and we'll end up with just the mince market to supply.

The last time this was on the cards Justin McCarthy and John Bryan went out to South America and did a very good investigative job showing cattle being tagged before going to market, illegal use of growth promoters and antibiotics. They then went to the European Commission and presented their findings to them. It made the difference back then and fair play to them. This time it's not going to be so easy with Germany close to a technical recession and they still control all the top jobs in the EU.

Wait until Teagasc get out there and tell them they should be milking cows instead of rooting at a bit of beef farming.

The very far flung depths of the Amazon rain forest would be the ideal place to send them teagasc boys, Jack Kennedy and a couple more of them low cost grass based poster-boy dairy farmers....
in fact I'd nearly start up a go fund me page to get them sent out there:fight:.

Are some older and possibly some younger farmers unaware that this deal won't take place for years, I get the feeling some factorys agents are allowing them to think it's taking place immediately

It's taken over 20 years to negotiate and at least another two to draft the final text and probably another seven before it will come in force from what I'm reading.

And the latter is still very much up in the air.

I often feel that he's resents the farming community as he's a failed farmer himself

Probably due to overheating

Caused by all the scarves and body warmers he wears . Never mind the "sincere gestures and facial expressions ".
Rarely watch the programme , for fear I might get a glimpse of him .

Maybe just as well Beet Ireland pulled the plug too. Hadn't realised that the quota for that has been raised a lot too and we already know their production costs are a fraction of European costs.

Taken from Facebook.

This list below contains the names of our politicians who voted AGAINST the interest of Irish beef farmers in the Dail on Thursday. They have hurt rural Ireland with their vote. Please review the list for names of any of your local representatives who acted against the wishes of all of us who took to the streets of Dublin this week. Thank you.
Barrett, Seán,
Brophy, Colm.
Bruton, Richard.
Burke, Peter.
Byrne, Catherine.
Cannon, Ciarán.
Carey, Joe.
Corcoran Kennedy, Marcella.
Coveney, Simon.
Creed, Michael.
D'Arcy, Michael.
Deasy, John.
Deering, Pat.
Doherty, Regina.
Donohoe, Paschal.
Doyle, Andrew.
Durkan, Bernard J.
English, Damien.
Farrell, Alan.
Flanagan, Charles.
Griffin, Brendan.
Halligan, John.
Heydon, Martin.
Humphreys, Heather.
Kehoe, Paul.
Kyne, Seán.
Madigan, Josepha.
McEntee, Helen.
McGrath, Finian.
McHugh, Joe.
McLoughlin, Tony.
Mitchell O'Connor, Mary.
Moran, Kevin Boxer.
Murphy, Dara.
Naughton, Hildegarde.
Neville, Tom.
Noonan, Michael.
O'Connell, Kate.
O'Donovan, Patrick.
O'Dowd, Fergus.
Phelan, John Paul.
Ring, Michael.
Rock, Noel.
Ross, Shane.
Varadkar, Leo.
Zappone, Katherine

Are some older and possibly some younger farmers unaware that this deal won't take place for years, I get the feeling some factorys agents are allowing them to think it's taking place immediately
Brexit hasn't happened yet and the factories have been making full use of it since it was conceived. They must be rubbing their hands raw altogether now and will blame the South Americans for the poor prices.

Pat Deering & Andrew Doyle? I thought these were pro agri?

What justification is given for the positive vote? Am I missing something here? I thought Creed was against it?

What justification is given for the positive vote? Am I missing something here? I thought Creed was against it?

Anytime I've ever heard Deering on the radio he'd be giving me the impression he's on the side of the farmer, maybe he's like a lot of politicians and speaks with forked tongue.

I think FG whipped their TD's on the vote. We should whip them too! Plus the govt supporting TD's voted yes except for Naughton.

Back