Hay 2019

Is the Rollant 46 gone into retirement?

Powerful day there too!

The 46 is in the pits are the moment. I haven't done any baling myself, this year so far.
I'm hoping to get it back out soon.
We had a great day here today, sunnier than yesterday.
We had a shower here this evening at 10 30.

The 46 is in the pits are the moment. I haven't done any baling myself, this year so far.
I'm hoping to get it back out soon.
We had a great day here today, sunnier than yesterday.
We had a shower here this evening at 10 30.
We sent that shower your way. We had another big shower at 6pm. It let down a serious amount of water.

I'm disappointed. I thought you were taking the 135 and haybob out of retirement?

We sent that shower your way. We had another big shower at 6pm. It let down a serious amount of water.

I'm disappointed. I thought you were taking the 135 and haybob out of retirement?
Anyone that left hay yesterday around here must be disappointed, lot of showers through the day 'till mid afternoon, tomorrow would want to play ball.

What’s hay worth this year . On DoneDeal there asking €25 & even €30 . Realistically is €20 the cut of it considering there’s a serious amount been made and no shortage of silage.

Hopefully there will be room for straw in sheds around the country, huge amount of hay being made.

What’s hay worth this year . On DoneDeal there asking €25 & even €30 . Realistically is €20 the cut of it considering there’s a serious amount been made and no shortage of silage.
I'm going at 25 any less and what's the point might as well make silage. Plus there's a lot of green hay being made

I'm going at 25 any less and what's the point might as well make silage. Plus there's a lot of green hay being made
It costs between €20 and €25 to make quality hay including cost of land rental, fertiliser and contractor. Just because a farmer might own some or all of the above doesn't mean he should or will give it away for free. Someone using their calculator wouldn't bother making their own hay at all if you got it for €20 delivered. Why lose money if someone else is willing to lose it for you.

There's a few lads that I know of panicked last Friday and baled "hay" that needed at least another day. A friend was talking to a Wexico contractor who said they were flat to the mat the same day baling unfit stuff. All the above would have been better wrapped for good haylege rather than bad hay.

It costs between €20 and €25 to make quality hay including cost of land rental, fertiliser and contractor. Just because a farmer might own some or all of the above doesn't mean he should or will give it away for free. Someone using their calculator wouldn't bother making their own hay at all if you got it for €20 delivered. Why lose money if someone else is willing to lose it for you.
What roughly is the breakdown of the 20/25 a bale MF, I don’t make hay but I wouldn’t have taught it to be that high

What roughly is the breakdown of the 20/25 a bale MF, I don’t make hay but I wouldn’t have taught it to be that high
Land rental at €250 acre for clean grassland without need for weeds sprays, divided by 3 as the hay crop would remove a third of the annual growth so say €80 acre for that.
125kg 18-6-12 = €50.
100kg Sul-can = €28.
Spreading fertiliser =€10?
Roll stones down =€10.
Mow = €20.
Tedding Inc raking×7 =€70
Baling @ 10 bales/acre =€30
Total =€298 averaging 10 bales acre.
All figures are approximate, more bales can be got, land can be cheaper etc but you get the general gist of it. Last time I added hay costs up it was either €23 or €24 per bale.

Are you turning it 6 times
Land rental at €250 acre for clean grassland without need for weeds sprays, divided by 3 as the hay crop would remove a third of the annual growth so say €80 acre for that.
125kg 18-6-12 = €50.
100kg Sul-can = €28.
Roll stones down =€10.
Mow = €20.
All figures are approximate, more bales can be got, land can be cheaper etc but you get the general gist of it. Last time I added hay costs up it was either €23 or €24 per bale.

125kg 18-6-12 = €50.
100kg Sul-can = €28.
Roll stones down =€10.
Mow = €20.
10 bales a acre is a good crop I've seen 8 an acre which adds a lot more to the cost.

125kg 18-6-12 = €50.
100kg Sul-can = €28.
Roll stones down =€10.
Mow = €20.
Your hardly spreading 4.5 bags of fert on hay ground?

Turned the last weeks hay 5 times.
It's a whole lot of work.

I got my 3 to 3.5 acres on Tuesday night . Mowed it the previous Tuesday . I turned it 5 times , taking my time and breaking it out properly. I had 31 bales off it . Reseeded 10 odd years . Green ryegrass.

Your hardly spreading 4.5 bags of fert on hay ground?
2.5 bags 18/6/12 on it , and it took enough of saving . Wouldn't like to have had any more N

Last edited:
125kg 18-6-12 = €50.
100kg Sul-can = €28.
Roll stones down =€10.
Mow = €20.
Added to that is the invisible cost thats always overlooked is p + k removal which will be way more than what that amount of 18's will supply

Back