Spring Barley - General Thread

If there are wild oats seed in the ground will it keep coming year after year like a grass species?
Or if I spray for a few years and rogue any stragglers that escape the spray, should it remain clean once new seed arriving is clean?
I had just 2 straws of cultured oats last night out of 6 fertiliser bags of wild oats. So that's not the issue. I see wild oats very bad in some fields outside my own also.

If there are wild oats seed in the ground will it keep coming year after year like a grass species?
Or if I spray for a few years and rogue any stragglers that escape the spray, should it remain clean once new seed arriving is clean?
I had just 2 straws of cultured oats last night out of 6 fertiliser bags of wild oats. So that's not the issue. I see wild oats very bad in some fields outside my own also.
7 years I believe is how long wild oats can lay dormant.

If you spray properly for a few years and rogue stragglers (shouldn’t be any where you spray) you should wear them down in a few years.
I did a project on wild oats in university, in general, the seeds don’t survive beyond 13 years maximum.

Clever plant. The barb (hair) on the seed is actually twisted like a wire rope. It will bend when wet and straighten out when dry - this movement will allow the seed to pull itself into cracks in the ground.

Look at the barb under a magnifying glass and you will see it’s coiled design.

I have them in a fresh lea that got Axial Pro. Thinking they germinated after the spray as they're only heading now.

Weren't you lucky you went with the Axial Pro! Must be over 20 years ago since that field was ploughed let alone in tillage!

I've been spraying the same two fields for wild oats for twenty years, haven't seen one in it since I've been spraying it. If I didn't do it next year what's the chances of them being plagued with oats again? I'd hate to chance it, might leave one tramline out for curiosity though.
In theory you'd imagine in a plough based system every seed ever released would have a good chance of germinating and then getting sprayed off. I also roundup off all tillage fields every December. In an ideal world these fields should be free from wild oats.

Weren't you lucky you went with the Axial Pro! Must be over 20 years ago since that field was ploughed let alone in tillage!
Wasn't I just. They're that much behind the barley they'll be very noticeable in the sample too! Oats going there next year anyway

Wasn't I just. They're that much behind the barley they'll be very noticeable in the sample too! Oats going there next year anyway

They'd nearly be blowing in the wind in the adjoining townsland anyway!

Last edited:
Farm was rotten with wild oats when I took over 7 years ago. Up to last year everything got wild oat spray when I decided to chance not doing the spring barley as felt it was under too much stress with drought. Was easily rogued so decided not to spray for wild oats at all this year. Big money saving and seem to have very few oats to rogue so looks like it was a good decision

Yes the cost does add up significantly allright.
The difficult decision is when to chance stopping the spray routine so.
I don't think I will keep spraying it for the next 80 years

Chance a few acres to start with. You will generally spot them coming through before the final timing for spraying them. Not ideal but it’s a get out of jail card!

Put in troops on the ground to assess the Barley. I might call into Easons and see if any of the Vulture funds or the Criminal Assets have any decent yachts for sale. If we get heavy weather I will be sitting out side Green Acres singing Follow me up to Carlow trying to fill a hat with coins .
ACA81E47-8D64-4B99-B716-AEDDC56BBE36.jpeg 4319966E-CB6B-4CC8-8493-1DEB19C0DD19.jpeg 41EC39E8-A776-446F-89B3-11D3A16454E7.jpeg 72916B55-4E5B-480A-85B9-BB8C4916F783.jpeg 44281F9C-A1F2-4E5F-86EB-0379D53D64FD.jpeg

Back