Grass Growth Rates

Anyone else finding cattle dissatisfied and poor to clean out paddocks in the last week or two, since we got rain and humidity I think grass has become very unpalatable is it possible thered hs been a big uptake of nitrogen? Axnybody else finding this or is it just me.

Anyone else finding cattle dissatisfied and poor to clean out paddocks in the last week or two, since we got rain and humidity I think grass has become very unpalatable is it possible thered hs been a big uptake of nitrogen? Axnybody else finding this or is it just me.
caused by a drop in sugars of the new growth, lots of organic N would also be released

Gr 48 for the last 5 days. 160/cow. We got 10mm between Monday and Tuesday but could do with more.
Will have to start feeding silage to build autumn grass if we dont get a decent growth rate or a decent drop of rain

BB06E03E-0A04-4485-A544-35F79D9B1B0E.jpeg
100+ per day for the last ten days,hard to control tbh
Four paddocks out for baling tomorrow could easily have taken out as many more.
Water is getting scarce,my well is nearly dry for the second time inside twelve months, I have a connection to the local group scheme and that’s in trouble as well :sweat:

atm at about 8 to 10 units of N per ac, but thats going on with humates,carbon and micros. applying whenever if needs it, from visual
What is your average total application across all parcels, seeing as we're getting near the end of the season? Have you used granular fertilizer as well? What about silage ground?

What is your average total application across all parcels, seeing as we're getting near the end of the season? Have you used granular fertilizer as well? What about silage ground?
All my silage is bought in, so all grazing. Probably around 30units of N for grazing season. But application of compost and 1 to 2 applications of 1500gls of slurry between artificial fert

All my silage is bought in, so all grazing. Probably around 30units of N for grazing season. But application of compost and 1 to 2 applications of 1500gls of slurry between artificial fert
Interesting. What kind of stocking rates are you talking about, and what is the overall cost per acre?

Back