KV ES 85

Why would you rather a 4+1?
I need to upgrade the plough but only one of the 4 tractors I have would be suitable on a 5f, next year I’d hopefully have another bigger tractor that would also be able for a 5f but at the moment a 4f would suit any of the 4 tractors. So my thinking is buy a 5f now and use it as a 4f rather than having to change the plough again in a years time, a Kuhn vari master 123 would be the alternative and that is 4+1 as standard.

That's fair enough. Having moved from a 4 furrow to a new straight beam 5f ES85 in 2011 I wouldn't recommend a 4+1 unless I was sure the beam was the same strength as the 5f as the strain created by the extra furrow is savage.
I’d just buy a 4f and stick with it for a while if there’s any potential problems with the beam, what you’ve said about the beam would be the concern https://www.donedeal.ie/ploughs-for-sale/kv-4f-reversible-plough-200-headstock/22632442

A 5 furrow es 85 isn't that heavy of a plough. Looked at a few when buying ours but don't think I ever seen a 4+1.
Pull our 5 furrow with a tm135 mainly. Doesn't break any speed records but manages fine.
They're an easy plough to pull and not much bother lifting either (we've often worked it on the 6820) but the strain on the headstock and beam compared to a 4f is significantly more. We eventually broke the beam beyond repair on our previous 4f after16 years. It wouldn't have lasted half that time with another body hanging out behind.

T6090, TM155, 8340 and TW15 are the tractors, it’s the TM that would be on the plough, I used pull a 5f Lemken for another contractor with it before doing 5-600 acres, pulling it is no problem but I just think with 9500hrs without front suspension the headlands can be hard on the backend, a 4f might be more appropriate at this stage, I have a very clean model E, 160 headstock, 16 inch to trade against it.

What skimmer said! I put my 5 furrow eg on my 8630 with no bother. Full pack of weights and your away. Neighbour pulls it with his t6080 no problem at all

What skimmer said! I put my 5 furrow eg on my 8630 with no bother. Full pack of weights and your away. Neighbour pulls it with his t6080 no problem at all
T6090 will be tied up Zerograzing and the whole idea of changing the plough is so I no longer have to plough with the TW anymore :undecided:

Donohoe Agri might have a Lemken five furrow in stock still. It was traded in the spring for a new Kverneland as the owner was running another Kverneland and wanted to simplify his wearing metal

Donohoe Agri might have a Lemken five furrow in stock still. It was traded in the spring for a new Kverneland as the owner was running another Kverneland and wanted to simplify his wearing metal
Are Lemken ploughs like printers you get for low money but the ink cartridges cost a fortune.

T6090 will be tied up Zerograzing and the whole idea of changing the plough is so I no longer have to plough with the TW anymore :undecided:
But why a 4 furrow? It seems to me like only one of your tractors wouldn't manage a 5 furrow, namely the 8340, and even she would probably handle a 5f ES short term.

I always thought it was the ed that could have a furrow added. Have a 4fur ed here and would like a 5th for it.

After pulling a Lemken for 5 years and breaking my heart it’s the one brand of plough I wouldn’t even consider :sneaky:

But why a 4 furrow? It seems to me like only one of your tractors wouldn't manage a 5 furrow, namely the 8340, and even she would probably handle a 5f ES short term.
I’m just one of those people who likes tractors to be above their work, in the five years the TM was on the 5f Lemken both drop arms needed to be replaced and both pins on the stabiliser arm through the drop arm went too and it was being well nursed, pulling it was a non issue and was economical on diesel but just think I’d rather not put another 5f on the back of it. The 8340 will be getting swapped out for another 180hp tractor next and when I’d have two tractors well capable of a 5f I’d change up.

After pulling a Lemken for 5 years and breaking my heart it’s the one brand of plough I wouldn’t even consider :sneaky:
They had a seven-furrow, semi-mounted Lemken at home at it was rated very highly. Much better break back system than the Kverneland it replaces with the wearing lasting longer but did cost more

I’m just one of those people who likes tractors to be above their work, in the five years the TM was on the 5f Lemken both drop arms needed to be replaced and both pins on the stabiliser arm through the drop arm went too and it was being well nursed, pulling it was a non issue and was economical on diesel but just think I’d rather not put another 5f on the back of it. The 8340 will be getting swapped out for another 180hp tractor next and when I’d have two tractors well capable of a 5f I’d change up.
Fair enough, I know where you are coming from. I reckon an ES would be a good dealer easier to lift than your Lemken though.
Our EG is a 4+1, although I've never had it back to 4 furrow, but once you have a decent headstock to start with I don't think you'll have any bother . Most ES's will have a 200 headstock which should be fine as either a 4 or 5 furrow unless you have very tough ground.

Back