For the ploughmen

oldsmokey

Hi, ive embarked on my first bit of ploughing, no guidance, so its all a bit haphazard, woul d appreciate a few answers...
The plough is an old semi auto roind beam 3 sod kv, new points fitted, its pulling straight behind, ive left some slack on the stabilisers. Plough is 90 degrees to the land when its in work , tyre presure ok. Back sod was forever hopping /slipping out of work so toplink lengthed too far to compensate, but it works. Was running plough in depth d setting of tractor but it rose to 2inch deep in gravelly bits of field...same craic when in mixed setting. Finally put it in p position setting, seems better..stays at the chosen depth...should it not be in depht seting fir ploughing tho?
And why is back sod slipping out of work?
Ground is a bit stony not bad, odd gravelly bit
Cheers

All three bodies parallel? if you set a string across them, or sight them by eye. Could be a strain somewhere.

All springs set to the same adjustment?
Rear landside, a long one, in good condition?

Any pics?

Hi, ive embarked on my first bit of ploughing, no guidance, so its all a bit haphazard, woul d appreciate a few answers...
The plough is an old semi auto roind beam 3 sod kv, new points fitted, its pulling straight behind, ive left some slack on the stabilisers. Plough is 90 degrees to the land when its in work , tyre presure ok. Back sod was forever hopping /slipping out of work so toplink lengthed too far to compensate, but it works. Was running plough in depth d setting of tractor but it rose to 2inch deep in gravelly bits of field...same craic when in mixed setting. Finally put it in p position setting, seems better..stays at the chosen depth...should it not be in depht seting fir ploughing tho?
And why is back sod slipping out of work?
Ground is a bit stony not bad, odd gravelly bit
Cheers
It's your draft control settings I'd say, fiddle about with them til you find sweet spot

I've often found that on electronic controlled lifts position 1 is enough for draft control or if it's an older mechanical system that setting the draft lever to intermix or halfway between position control and draft control works best. There's an old 3 sod round beam KV Bomford plough here that I learned to plough with many moons ago and would still use now and then for a bit of enjoyment when things are slack and I've often but 100 kilos on the back to keep it in the ground in tough conditions.

All three bodies parallel? if you set a string across them, or sight them by eye. Could be a strain somewhere.

All springs set to the same adjustment?
Rear landside, a long one, in good condition?

Any pics?
Great, few things to check anyways...will checking the springs by eye suffice?, must check landside and paralkel...thanks

I've often found that on electronic controlled lifts position 1 is enough for draft control or if it's an older mechanical system that setting the draft lever to intermix or halfway between position control and draft control works best. There's an old 3 sod round beam KV Bomford plough here that I learned to plough with many moons ago and would still use now and then for a bit of enjoyment when things are slack and I've often but 100 kilos on the back to keep it in the ground in tough conditions.
Interesting idea about weight, just a bit messy,...dont think i can fiddle about with settings, can put it in p, m or d only, no inbetweens.
When it slips into suitabke ground, it does nice work, makes me look good

Top link should be floating when ploughing. Neither pushing or pulling headstock till you lift at ends. Pull lower links only. I am no expert btw.

Top link should be floating when ploughing. Neither pushing or pulling headstock till you lift at ends. Pull lower links only. I am no expert btw.
The lad that showed me to plough said he was thought that lesson by being made use a chain for a toplink. He knew what he was doing from what I could see anyway

The lad that showed me to plough said he was thought that lesson by being made use a chain for a toplink. He knew what he was doing from what I could see anyway

Depends on your tractor. Modern tractors have draft sensing on the lift arms but older ones were through the top link. Also the floating toplink is the reserve of the reversible plough, I don't think I've ever seen a conventional plough with a slotted hole.

If your tractor has top link sensing you need to have top link in the correct hole on the tractor end also, the top hole of the 3 on older masseys iirc, may be wrong on this though

If your tractor has top link sensing you need to have top link in the correct hole on the tractor end also, the top hole of the 3 on older masseys iirc, may be wrong on this though
If top link sensing the top link needs to be as close to parallel to the ground, ie, highest hole on tractor and lowest on plough. Tight fitting pins also necessary as small adjustments are made by the top link sensing.

Depends on your tractor. Modern tractors have draft sensing on the lift arms but older ones were through the top link. Also the floating toplink is the reserve of the reversible plough, I don't think I've ever seen a conventional plough with a slotted hole.
Tractors a 2011 zetor, plough foesnt have slot, holes onky for toplink, will drop toplink fitting to lowest on plough, great.
So when are the position, draft and mixed settings used?. Ive looked it up on the handbook but its hopeless, be interesting to gigure it out

4f KV spring loaded conventional plough here with a slotted hole :Whistle2:

I'd try all of what the lads said above oldsmokey. Is your toplink parallel to the ploughing by the way?

I'd also try the M setting.

Very true, surprising how soon one forgets when we move on. Did a bit long ago with top link sensing but cannot remember how it was set up.

Probably a standard hole that has become elongated from bouncing across the field in high reverse. I've heard of it happening in places where they don't know how to open middles :scratchhead:
Showing my ignorance..whatre middles?

Probably a standard hole that has become elongated from bouncing across the field in high reverse. I've heard of it happening in places where they don't know how to open middles :scratchhead:
Here you go
kverneland-ploughs-chisel-ploughs-kverneland-ad85-5-skaar-uitskop-plough-id-61826836-type-main.jpg

I found that depth control in both a Zetor 4712 and a 7045 was too sensitive for the plough. Worked perfect on both in the mixed setting.
3 f KV Bamford on the wee one and 4f square beam spring release on the 7045. The 4f plough had a slotted hole. The slotted hole is just for tractors with bottom link sensing...

Last edited:
Back