Harvest progress.

kildare

What started as a easy harvest has certainly turned for the worst.
Here in Athy area there is a huge amount of straw unbaled sitting in field.
We started on wheat on two weeks ago.78 kph and passing for milling now it's detiorated to 73 kph feed.lots of malting barley breaking down too.

I haven't cut a stalk of anything in 2 weeks now. There hasn't been a single day here that it didn't rain in those 2 weeks and then I've feckin snapchat going off with southerners working away while I'm thinking of getting a few drums under a pallet to float around on :laugh:. Land has given back big time around here, I was moving straw the other day and the bale trailer was cutting well into the tramlines when loaded in what is a very dry field.

I haven't cut a stalk of anything in 2 weeks now. There hasn't been a single day here that it didn't rain in those 2 weeks and then I've feckin snapchat going off with southerners working away while I'm thinking of getting a few drums under a pallet to float around on :laugh:. Land has given back big time around here, I was moving straw the other day and the bale trailer was cutting well into the tramlines when loaded in what is a very dry field.
Land has got saturated now alright, it was fit to take the rain til about 2 days ago but getting messy now, need the wellies to go checking stock again!

What started as a easy harvest has certainly turned for the worst.
Here in Athy area there is a huge amount of straw unbaled sitting in field.
We started on wheat on two weeks ago.78 kph and passing for milling now it's detiorated to 73 kph feed.lots of malting barley breaking down too.
Sorry to butt in but what variety of wheat and who is buying milling wheat?

We've had nearly 5 solid days of cutting with a few showers in between but got finished tonight by a mist blowing in off the sea.

We've had nearly 5 solid days of cutting with a few showers in between but got finished tonight by a mist blowing in off the sea.

Weather in Wexford. Hmmm.. All i had was five days of hardship. Never had as much exercise climbing into and out of combine between showers and need sun glasses ( and umbrella) now as the combine is gleaming after been washed with so much rain

I cut wheat Saturday night until 12:30 at 20% moisture, haven’t been back since, need a day to cut the rest of the wheat and 3-4 days to do the SB, only have 10acres of straw on the ground. At the moment they are giving 5 days without rain so if that works out it’ll be enough to finish us, it will be fit to bale a day after the combine, nothing lodged thankfully.

With the amount of rain that fell today we might not get to cut at all tomorrow. I have fifteen acres of Spring barley in small fields most of it standing but the bit that is down is badly down . The spring barley that we cut has mostly been collected and believe it or not delivered to Cork undried with moisture's under 19 and as low as 17 . I have the makings of about 80 bales on the ground and I chopped the rest of it . I have about five days cutting of Wheat which we are going to run through the dryer and the straw off this is sold . If there is milling or biscuit for the Lumos I will take it but in a year like this Bushel weight is king and often is the difference between selling and not having a buyer . Last time I looked all the Wheat was standing .. I heard three ship loads of Oats left the country .

Progress has been poor enough with the rain showers. Cut two fields last Thursday and one on Sunday. Had to leave lodged bits under trees as just to damp. Another two and half days will finish all my barley. Have 5 other lads to cut for which 1 has already decided to get someone else who is available to cut his next fine spell. No hard feelings but the weather is just putting everything under pressure. Hopefully all will be finished up by this day next week

You are not far from me and nothing meaningful cut since Sunday and certainly not yesterday (very localized showers, 5 miles away lads still harvesting last night) nor today with squibs of rain.

Still it has rained damn all here today compared to most, the concrete in the yard was dry an hour ago and lanes were only wet for an hour.

I've oaten straw on the ground here nearly 3 weeks now, the buyer had only really one chance to get it to be fair to him.

Hopefully the next few days will come as they say for everyone.

We’ve been extremely lucky along by the coast. Only 2 showers since Saturday morning. I’d imagine 3 days will finish most crops around here. Ground is solid.

I just have a small few winter wheat plots to cut hopefully tomorrow and then spring oat & spring wheat plots.
The only commercial crop we have left is 13ac of the second crop Cellule inland that we started cutting on the 3rd August!!! The wettest load we cut on that day was 24% mc - definitely no regrets as we only had one more cutting opportunity there since the 3rd. It still has no sprouts to be found, I’d imagine the kph (& therefore yield) has fallen.

Hopefully get everything baled over the weekend and then look towards sowing WOSR.

I wish everyone well in getting through what has been a very difficult time in most regions.

Progress has been good here with the last four or five days, much better than when we were at the winter barley. It will take another week to finish spring barley and winter wheat. My biggest concern at the moment is spring wheat which looks to be about three weeks from ripe. An improvement in the weather would certainly bring it in sooner.

Weather broke here on the third of August. We've only managed 2 full days combining since with handful of days cutting a load of two. Still cutting oats here that was started on the 8th of August. Three handy days would usually cut it...

Ground conditions have really deteriorated with wet spots appearing where I've never seen them before which means we're leaving bits and will have ruts to contend with whenever it dries up.

Our wheat is only just coming fit now and with a better forecast now hopefully things will improve...

well our barley field is ripe to cut now and one of the neighbours are wanting theirs done but of course our best friend the weather has decided to play a joke on all of us. also i wonder about cullinane up in waterfall. ballinhassig is not taking grain in anymore after they built a new shop there. my guess cullinane is up the walls with the influx of grain this year

@CoNaMi
Similar story here.
This was taken on the 2nd of August.
We got a bit more than half of that baled up, the remainder is sitting there since.
5BB36054-BE15-4279-A5F0-2281942A47CF.jpeg

The next block (70ac pictures below) was started on the 3rd of August, we finished it 10 days later.
Got a bit more than half of the straw baled.
8473EC66-C263-4785-A0BA-6805F39ACB75.jpeg 417642F7-1FB2-4ECA-B858-8DF5A6C68909.jpeg E4438290-E16F-41A0-BE2D-A4DBE088A473.jpeg

We also got our spring barley wholecroped last Saturday in less than ideal conditions.
A mini digger and a bit of 804 got the roadway sorted out.
C4E758D3-EABF-4B28-B769-72B9CB900231.jpeg 653D62C5-9EC5-419D-BFA5-7A00D55311E8.jpeg

Surprisingly the late cut WB did well, it was infinity, the wheat is ok so far too, what’s left to harvest may be poorer especially where it’s lodged.

The wholecrop bulked up well too with a decent amount of grain in the sample.
It’s just tough going.
We haven’t got stuck yet..
Though there’s been bogging here and there and there will be more of it before we get finished.

Last edited:
Peas were one crop that looked fantastic this year .they grew well and were 3 ft high when they were sprayed last .I was sorry I had none. I hope lads get them ok but they are not very tall now.
I think we had only two chances to harvest wheat Thursday the 8th and last sat.sun morning at 22 moisture.

A heavy fog rolled in this evening stopped us early, no great drying either today so everything was coming in 20% and over, bit of stuff a lot higher getting rejected. A lot of lads contracts are full now as well so the surplus pile is growing.

I went through the ww and the sb today and none of it was even remotely fit to cut today. I'd 2 wet feet after and that was walking in the tramlines. Not one bit of drying out all day here. If tomorrow comes a good lively one I might get going on the sb after dinner.
Same here. Sun didn't get out at all and a damp feel to the air. Whenever you see a blight warning drying is never good.

Got a good nine hours harvesting done today, from 18% to 20% . Yields are excellent, the Gangway is a revelation and it's the best yielder I ever had. Weather should hold until Tuesday, that should wrap up a lot of it around here.

I went through the ww and the sb today and none of it was even remotely fit to cut today. I'd 2 wet feet after and that was walking in the tramlines. Not one bit of drying out all day here. If tomorrow comes a good lively one I might get going on the sb after dinner.
Same as that, although there was great drying this evening. Talking to a man over Johnstown way who tried sb and it was 23. Have two loads of straw loaded for the morning so will deliver them first and see how the days blows up. Have 5/6 long days cutting left , if the weather agrees.

Tried spring barley at 3:30 and was 21.2. Waited and tried at 6 and was down to 19.5. So cut a load and half tonight. Have to cut when ever it allows this year it seems

Got a good nine hours harvesting done today, from 18% to 20% . Yields are excellent, the Gangway is a revelation and it's the best yielder I ever had. Weather should hold until Tuesday, that should wrap up a lot of it around here.
How is quality? Even tho we had less rain lately KPH has fallen off a lot, no big yields around west Waterford, east cork or anyone I’ve spoken to in south tipp either.

Back