Australia

Well I dont want to go to Ayres rock now anyway ! ,was only listening to other people but it looks like the vote is in now to not go there ! So start in cairns onto Brisbane - Sydney but I have to meet a few friends in Melbourne too is this possible in my 2 weeks ?...

You will probably be flying into either Sydney or Melbourne. If it was me, I would fly into Melbourne and catch up with your mates first to ease myself in and head off on your travels from there. Melbourne is a great city and you have lots of options to visit the wine region or even Philip Island if the GP was on.

If you head up the coast a few great places are; Noosa, Hervey Bay/Fraser Island, Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Island and Magnetic Island.

I would fly between the big cities to save time, internal flights are cheap enough if you travel light. Spend a while on google maps/earth to see how much ground you think you can cover.

I was in the south island of New Zealand about 10 years ago it was'nt bad I suppose .what about flying into cairns and working down to Melbourne ....?

So did any of ye that have been in Australia have any regrets like ye "should I have stayed longer " etc or like if i dont go would i regret it later on do ye think ??..

I definitely should've could've stayed longer did a year worked pretty much all the time I was there, I was only 22 when I landed, so really having the craic and making money was what I was interested in. Went back on my honeymoon and traveled a bit but catch up with friends who couldn't travel back for my wedding was the main reason. Never met anyone who regretted going to Australia. I've a few friends who will never come back.

20 years..... I'm only 42. Was back in '13, so 6 years since I was last there, try not to go travelling the same time as school holidays every thing is much busier and more expensive. They ave different school holidays over there than here so no harm to Google it. I just done the east coast from Melbourne to cairns the last time I was there. But I was really a holiday to visit friends so not much sight seeing flew a lot. So that saved a good bit of time.

22 years, That’s only yesterday! I was there almost 40 years ago working for 6 months on a sheep and tillage farm on the edge of the outback. About 2000 sheep and 2000 acres of wheat on a total of 5000 ac. There was a pedigree flock of 200 merino sheep and the rest were kept for wool. We used to kill and butcher 2 sheep a week ourselves for the house . We had sheepmeat for breakfast, dinner, and tea and even had sheepmeat sausages. I had 3 weeks off and went up the middle to Ayers Rock and then across to Brisbane and on down to Sydney. It poured rain the whole time so I was “lucky “ enough to see the outback green. Back then the rock wasn’t such a big tourist attraction and you could still climb to the top. The Alice river was in full flood when we got there, only happens once every 20 odd years. They used to call the outback the “never, never” because you would either never leave or never go back. Interesting people and lifestyle out there back then.

So did any of ye that have been in Australia have any regrets like ye "should I have stayed longer " etc or like if i dont go would i regret it later on do ye think ??..
Went for 2 months in winter 2012/2013, mostly in Perth and did a week in Brisbane and a week in Sydney, went purely as a holiday and burnt every penny I’d earned between finishing college exams that year and late October and there wasn’t many days off at that.
Do I regret going definitely not, I didn’t really fall in love with the place and it’s not drawing me back but that may be partly that I didn’t take the chance then to do what I really should have, told the one I was with to do one and gone off working at something I’d never get to do here. Ended up getting shot of her about a month after we came home anyways so deffo should have done it out there and probably would have had a better time of it:lol::lol:,
We did the real sort of touristy bits, blue mountains is worth a look and the one I remember most. Did surfers paradise(bit of a kip unless you wanna surf really) down the rest of the Gold Coast. Bondi was alright. Then of course had to go :rolleyes2:to the beach spot that home and away is shot in can’t think of the name tho:scratchhead: that was a waste on me anyways, there was nothing being filmed at the time and the place was dead..

Did the bridge climb in Brisbane which was actually alright to, good views when your up top, think we got a groupon deal for it.
Think we stayed in the base back packers hostels in Sydney and Brisbane and the $10 meal and pint deal was about the best value grub we got in the whole time.
After that I can’t remember a whole lot more of it:unsure:

Not wanting to sound like a stick in the mud but Australia or NZ just never interested me even though I love traveling.

Firstly too far away so I couldn’t bear that much time in planes. I think it’s the fact that the two countries are relatively “new” in terms of their history and to me they just lack character.
I hear people referring to parts of NZ as being like Ireland - that’s enough of a reason for me not wanting to go there!

Heard of a lad who went drawing silage in NZ for 6 months or so and then came back to Ireland just in time for the silage season here.......definition of hell for me!!!!:lol:

My wife was in Australia and loved it but she also agreed that I wouldn’t like it. My cousin worked there and said they men were quite ignorant.

Anyway, not my scene, give me the States or Europe any day....

Carry on!!

Not wanting to sound like a stick in the mud but Australia or NZ just never interested me even though I love traveling.

Firstly too far away so I couldn’t bear that much time in planes. I think it’s the fact that the two countries are relatively “new” in terms of their history and to me they just lack character.
I hear people referring to parts of NZ as being like Ireland - that’s enough of a reason for me not wanting to go there!

Heard of a lad who went drawing silage in NZ for 6 months or so and then came back to Ireland just in time for the silage season here.......definition of hell for me!!!!:lol:

My wife was in Australia and loved it but she also agreed that I wouldn’t like it. My cousin worked there and said they men were quite ignorant.

Anyway, not my scene, give me the States or Europe any day....

Carry on!!
I'd sooner give two weeks in Austria Switzerland and Italy

Sorry my mistake mf 7715 !! Was there lots to do from Melbourne to cairns ? I was after changing around my route a bit going by a travel agent so Sydney-Melbourne- Adelaide ....Whats there to do in Austria or Switzerland for 2 weeks !?

The first lad I was going to Australia with for 2 weeks has backed out so I have a friend in New Zealand that might meet me in Australia for the 2 weeks not sure will I still go ahead with it now or what ??..

What are some of the best countries/places lads have gone on holiday's too ?..
South Africa, travelled the garden route from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth in a rented car. Went to Robben Island and saw Nelson Mandelas cell where was held for all those years. Did safaris and woke up in a house one morning with a monkey outside the window looking in while he ate bananas from a branch beside him. Probably the most memorable bit of abroad for me yet.

Back