Winter Barley 2020

Planning to sow Valerie here
Has Valerie any strengths over Infinity or Carneval? I understand different varieties can better suit different soils and different parts of the country but I'm open to your suggestions. Still toying whether to go WW or WB but the WW costings seem to take a lot of profit from the potential high yield. WB on high ground might be an option for me this autumn.

Has Valerie any strengths over Infinity or Carneval? I understand different varieties can better suit different soils and different parts of the country but I'm open to your suggestions. Still toying whether to go WW or WB but the WW costings seem to take a lot of profit from the potential high yield. WB on high ground might be an option for me this autumn.
Quality of cassia
Higher yields
Great to stand
Suit my laid back approach to nitrogen

Valerie appeals to me because it’s an improvement in straw strength (lodging and brackling) while being a few percent better yielding than Cassia and Infinity.
It should have a kph equal to if not even slightly better than Cassia.
It’s a bit earlier to ripen too.
Only weakness I can see is Ramularia but plenty Bravo should sort that. Strob from BASF coming in 2021 is very very good on Ramularia.
Looking over the past 3 years, Valerie has been very consistent in yield (not 110% in one year and 95% the next).

We have a few fields of winter barley to grow which will be an entry for WOSR in 2020, a couple of new WOSR varieties coming for next year which I have my eye on.

Valerie appeals to me because it’s an improvement in straw strength (lodging and brackling) while being a few percent better yielding than Cassia and Infinity.
Only weakness I can see is Ramularia but plenty Bravo should sort that. Strob from BASF coming in 2021 is very very good on Ramularia.
Looking over the past 3 years, Valerie has been very consistent in yield (not 110% in one year and 95% the next).

We have a few fields of winter barley to grow which will be an entry for WOSR in 2020, a couple of new WOSR varieties coming for next year which I have my eye on.
Thanks, the positives seem good, no harm doing a bit of research in advance. Much appreciated Cork.

I've been trying to to source valerie up here. Can't get any so far. Apparently the seed crops were in Scotland and didn't come up to scratch.

I've been trying to to source valerie up here. Can't get any so far. Apparently the seed crops were in Scotland and didn't come up to scratch.

Your merchant could probably get some in the Rep of Ireland. We actually exported some Valerie to Scotland as the breeder was short.

Is there much Valarie available this year @CORK ?

Revesol? There was hopes of having it next year. Just wondering with regards winter wheat only the weather played ball this year septoria was uncontrollable. Planning what to sow after break crops wheat is gone high risk but nead a spread of crops. Can't grow all winter Barley either

Revesol? There was hopes of having it next year. Just wondering with regards winter wheat only the weather played ball this year septoria was uncontrollable. Planning what to sow after break crops wheat is gone high risk but nead a spread of crops. Can't grow all winter Barley either

No, you’re right - Revysol is coming in 2020. The strob is the year after

FYI folks, just moving some of the posts from the 2019 thread to a new 2020 thread, as they are more relevant here.

If I missed any, let me know :smile:

Back