Brexit

If you don't want a Corbyn govt you can vote for the Lib Dems, they are bound to capitalise on the Labour u-turn. We are where we are, an election is inevitable now, another extension is pointless, it is the uncertainty that is doing most damage to your economy at this stage. Britain has always had a resilient pro-business economy and will come out the other end of this in better shape than Europe. Look at the state of the main EU countries, their tax burdens and dependency ratios. The world won't end after Halloween.
Politicians from leave constituencies who are doing everything possible to stop brexit are hardly representing their electorate very well.
I don't know where you get the idea that I lie or misrepresent. Just because you disagree with me does not mean that.

How do you make the conclusion that the UK will be in better shape than the EU countries?

There's a professor Campbell Harvey at Duke university. He's a professor of finance. He's predicted the last three recessions a year in advance. He says of the US and the UK "we're in code red"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortun...ld-curve-market-great-what-is-economy-us/amp/

How do you make the conclusion that the UK will be in better shape than the EU countries?

There's a professor Campbell Harvey at Duke university. He's a professor of finance. He's predicted the last three recessions a year in advance. He says of the US and the UK "we're in code red"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortun...ld-curve-market-great-what-is-economy-us/amp/
Loads of reasons,
  1. The weaker sterling is actually helping the UK with their exports and making home produced goods and services cheaper. They were right not to join the euro as they have control over their own fiscal and monetary policy.
  2. They have the City of London, they are the real people pushing for Brexit, to avoid further punitive regulation from Brussels, look up the Panama Papers issue.
  3. Their lower tax band is 20% up to £50k, here it is €35k, making the top rate of tax 48.5% between that and €70k, 52% thereafter, the other EU countries have similar high taxes. The UK worker and business people have money in their pockets to save and reinvest. I have friends who left Ireland to work there and their outlook is more optimistic that they can achieve a comfortable standard of living. Unfortunately for us the chances of them ever coming back here are slim.
  4. UK unemployment is low, the average age people join the workforce is lower and their incomes are rising, the rest of the EU is totally opposite. Real incomes haven't budged in 10 years, the EU never really recovered from the last recession. They just kicked the can down the road, that's their answer to everything.
  5. The EU is mired in debt, both public and private, have older populations and now have negative interest rates meaning there is no incentive for saving, if you have high debt repayments and low savings rates there will be nothing to invest with in the future. The result is a stagnant economy.
  6. Apart from the Brexit issue, the UK is a more cohesive country than most other EU countries. Look at Italy, France and Germany, they are tearing themselves apart.
  7. Germany is already in technical recession, having had two consecutive quarters of negative growth, so they are already in worse shape.
  8. The UK speak English, they are well placed to benefit from any deal with the US.

No market in the UK for organic produce then ? No where else but Europe make drugs ?

I've explained the issue with organic milk before, if you couldn't be bothered to read it then it seems pointless to repeat it now, as for medicine, well some medicines are only produced in the EU, but that's not the point, it's about how complex JiT supply chains work

What about the people in the overpopulated parts of the country that cant even see a doc because they cant get appointments, stuff them although obviously I'm not allowed to say that because I'll get branded a far right extremist

which areas of the UK do you think are overpopulated? how do you define overpopulation? how many people is too many?

In what way is it the EU's fault that our own govt has failed to adequately fund our health service? and how do you think that things will improve after a no deal brexit once we've given US pharmaceutical companies unfettered access to the NHS?

What laws I'm I looking forward to not obeying, well none obviously

So just to clarify, you can't name any of the EU laws that you are objecting to, is that correct?

but who knows what they could force in us that well have no say in , maybe well soon all be driving on the right side of the road who knows

Seriously? it sounds like we need a deal where we get to veto any EU laws we don't like then.

Loads of reasons,

1. Apart from the Brexit issue, the UK is a more cohesive country than most other EU countries. Look at Italy, France and Germany, they are tearing themselves apart.
  2. Germany is already in technical recession, having had two consecutive quarters of negative growth, so they are already in worse shape.
  3. The UK speak English, they are well placed to benefit from any deal with the US.

and the UK isn't?

You know I'd love to able to add something intelligent or interesting to this whole brexit debate, but the best synopsis I can come up to describe the whole brexit process so far, is that they have their shite.

They seem to be talking a lot of it anyway.

Loads of reasons,
  1. The weaker sterling is actually helping the UK with their exports and making home produced goods and services cheaper. They were right not to join the euro as they have control over their own fiscal and monetary policy.
  2. They have the City of London, they are the real people pushing for Brexit, to avoid further punitive regulation from Brussels, look up the Panama Papers issue.
  3. Their lower tax band is 20% up to £50k, here it is €35k, making the top rate of tax 48.5% between that and €70k, 52% thereafter, the other EU countries have similar high taxes. The UK worker and business people have money in their pockets to save and reinvest. I have friends who left Ireland to work there and their outlook is more optimistic that they can achieve a comfortable standard of living. Unfortunately for us the chances of them ever coming back here are slim.
  4. UK unemployment is low, the average age people join the workforce is lower and their incomes are rising, the rest of the EU is totally opposite. Real incomes haven't budged in 10 years, the EU never really recovered from the last recession. They just kicked the can down the road, that's their answer to everything.
  5. The EU is mired in debt, both public and private, have older populations and now have negative interest rates meaning there is no incentive for saving, if you have high debt repayments and low savings rates there will be nothing to invest with in the future. The result is a stagnant economy.
  6. Apart from the Brexit issue, the UK is a more cohesive country than most other EU countries. Look at Italy, France and Germany, they are tearing themselves apart.
  7. Germany is already in technical recession, having had two consecutive quarters of negative growth, so they are already in worse shape.
  8. The UK speak English, they are well placed to benefit from any deal with the US.

Some good points there but some I don't agree with.

1. Fair statement on fiscal policy. If your debt is held by outside holders though, it means you have more debt iykwim.

2. Yes, London is a big financial player. However, look at all the organisations leaving. Barclay's moved to Ireland. So did Somerset capital, Jacob Rees mogg's company.

3. Fair point. Higher tax in many Scandinavian countries but the standard of living is higher so it's apples and oranges.

4. Average wages in Britain are 3 pounds a week lower than they were in 2008 relative go the cost of living. The recovery from the last crash has been Britain's slowest economic recovery in 150 years apparently or so I read. Low unemployment is good, but it means you've topped out your recovery. France has similar GDP, but higher unemployment. They have more room to Manoeuvre to increase GDP. Hard to see Britain getting unemployment any lower, they're at the top Of The hill. Only way from here is down.

5. Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Sweden etc have lower debt to GDP than Britain. Britain haven't balanced the books since 2006 or 2007. Ireland have turned a surplus the last few years, Britain has just drove up their debt. Greece and Spain aren't in great positions but I don't feel their indicative Of The EU as a whole. Look at the cost of third level education in the UK. Students leaving college with 50-60k debt. 9300 sterling a year fees compared to 3000 in Ireland. Investing in the education of your youth is important.

6. A few Quotes I heard while in England last summer. "Scotland had a referendum to leave, why can't we have a referendum on whether or not we want to keep them."
"why can't we give northern Ireland back to you (Ireland)"

The United kingdom doesn't sound all that United to me. Germany is a relatively new country in it's current form. The union of east and west seems to have been seamless.

Somebody here said if a union of nations (the UK) decides a union of nations is a bad thing (EU) it doesn't auger well for a union of nations.

7. Germany is slowing down but there are more countries in the eu than Germany. I'd be a lot more confident of their ability to deal with a recession than the crowd in Westminster.

8.How long will it take them to negotiate a deal? The Japan-EU trade deal took 6 years. Even when it does happen, it will have to be on America's terms. Might is right, and as @Mf240 said, Britain will have their shite.

it looks like some one been asked to right out a list of worst case scenarios so that they got something to work on , prepare for the worst hope for the best , its basically a risk assessment , fair enough i would have said , you would expect them to have some one drawing up a list like that . as for the private messages , that would come somewhere between breaching human rights , and data protection ,

it looks like some one been asked to right out a list of worst case scenarios so that they got something to work on , prepare for the worst hope for the best , its basically a risk assessment , fair enough i would have said , you would expect them to have some one drawing up a list like that . as for the private messages , that would come somewhere between breaching human rights , and data protection ,

I thought brexiteers would have no truck with that namby pamby human rights stuff,. they'll be appealing to the European court of human rights next.

EEQS5xhXYAYg9sq

Be around £400bn in London. £8bn is chicken feed in grand scheme. Allot worse trades done, than Brexit
I like the word chicken feed. Boris famously said his pay from the telegraph was chicken feed. It was actually 275000 a year, three times his salary as an MP.

I don't know the figure of how much is traded so I won't argue with your 400 billion. However, I think when the donations you receive are 4 times your salary as PM, I think a conflict of interest arises. Who are you going to answer to first and foremost? Your benefactors Or the public?

Today i've been picking some gear up i bought at an online auction from a firm in administration, got talking to the guy that owned it, a company that made conveyors and equipment for the recycling industry, he told me that what did for him was that he'd had contracts on hold for over 6 months now because of uncertainties over brexit, (may's deal, they'd get fecked in two years, no deal they get fecked right now), so no one will commit to investment. So a company that employed 10 people that has taken 22 years to build flushed down the toilet. That's not project fear, that's project what's actually fecking happening.

It's a mystery to me why people can't see that buying up the UK's assets dirt cheap at the post brexit fire sale is precisely why Farage, Rees Mogg and co are so keen on the idea.

Back