Electric Fence

muckymanor

Anyone got a recommendation for a 12v electric fence that will work off a car battery?

Have had a number of solar fences here and they all seem to stop working just after the warranty on them expires.

Anyone got a recommendation for a 12v electric fence that will work off a car battery?

Have had a number of solar fences here and they all seem to stop working just after the warranty on them expires.

I bought a PEL 403 about 5 years ago. Works off a 12v battery. A good one , I use a new 643. Not a 5 yr old Micra battery that John down the road gave you . Serious belt from it . Fencing 30 acres into 9 paddocks . Can be worked 220 mains using a little transformer like a phone charger.
Highly recommended.

Brother has 2 of this brand one 6 yrs old the other 2 . First came from Connaught Agri second from this lad good bit cheaper . Both fencing on steel wire good rattle off them .
This model is covering a 1.2 miles of steel wire for us http://www.irishsales.ie/?product=lacme-secur-200-solar-fencer

I bought a PEL 403 about 5 years ago. Works off a 12v battery. A good one , I use a new 643. Not a 5 yr old Micra battery that John down the road gave you . Serious belt from it . Fencing 30 acres into 9 paddocks . Can be worked 220 mains using a little transformer like a phone charger.
Highly recommended.
You wont go wrong with a PEL energiser.

How long does the new battery last for before recharging and how many recharges will you get from a standard battery. I always buy the €30 fencer battery

Where do you keep the solar fencer?
Was advised to keep them in the garden to keep the panels 'alive'

Where do you keep the solar fencer?
Was advised to keep them in the garden to keep the panels 'alive'

I had 2 different brands of solar fence. One got a corroded mother board from being left outside and a repair for it wasn't too far off the price of a new one.
The other developed a fault in the solar cell and was unrepairable.
Was advised to remove batteries over winter and store both the battery and the fencer itself in a warm dry dark space.

Reactions: AYF
Highly recommended.

You wont go wrong with a PEL energiser.

How long does the new battery last for before recharging and how many recharges will you get from a standard battery. I always buy the €30 fencer battery

I only get about 4 weeks out of a charged battery. When I say new , I don't mean a new battery every month . But I have 2 battery fencers both 12v . Other is a Cheta. I buy a new battery most years . Also ; they are actually 663 s. I sometimes swap one out of a tractor to the fencer and vice versa. It's hard on a battery , if you let them discharge completely , before recharging. As is leaving them dead for long periods , or leaving them directly on the ground. I use a mineralbucket lid under them . There are lights on the PEL fencer , that show you it's output/state of charge , so that you can change the battery as it slows down before dying.
I bought a solar panel in Aldi last year . A waste of money imo. Doesent prolong times between charges.

A fencer will ruin a standard car battery, a slow discharge will cause the plates to sulphate up.
Better getting a leisure battery suitable for a camper van maybe.
The fence doesn't ruin it ,it's the mindset to run the fence until it wont run anymore what ruins them:rolleyes2:
You need 2 batteries to 1 fencer so 1 is on charge and 1 on fence,change them every 2nd day at most

I only get about 4 weeks out of a charged battery. When I say new , I don't mean a new battery every month . But I have 2 battery fencers both 12v . Other is a Cheta. I buy a new battery most years . Also ; they are actually 663 s. I sometimes swap one out of a tractor to the fencer and vice versa. It's hard on a battery , if you let them discharge completely , before recharging. As is leaving them dead for long periods , or leaving them directly on the ground. I use a mineralbucket lid under them . There are lights on the PEL fencer , that show you it's output/state of charge , so that you can change the battery as it slows down before dying.
I bought a solar panel in Aldi last year . A waste of money imo. Doesent prolong times between charges.
Exactly my point:lol:^^^

The fence doesn't ruin it ,it's the mindset to run the fence until it wont run anymore what ruins them:rolleyes2:
You need 2 batteries to 1 fencer so 1 is on charge and 1 on fence,change them every 2nd day at most
Kinda what I meant, a farmer would leave the fencer on the battery until it stops clicking, too much work changing and charging batteries otherwise! A lot to be said for having the fencer on the mains, last time we had a battery fencer must have been the 80s strip grazing turnips with sheep. The powerful elec fencers of today will travel 10 miles easily or 1000 acres. A few batteries would buy a lot of stakes and wire providing you were on the same block of land.

Thought something was wrong with our fencer today. It is a fair age.....
A solid belt through my hand was enough for me to realise that it is infact fine! :scared:

Amazing how you suddenly get insanely cautios with them after a belt!
Father was in stitches watching me!

I'm using two PeL solar fences at the minute, a 702 and a 705.
Im very happy with them so far.
One is about 6 year old, the other 2 year old.
I had to replace the battery in the oldest one at about 4 years.
Other than that, all good.
Certainly a good improvement on battery fences.

Bought a pel fencer today in the coop. Well I ordered it based on the one in the display. They will have it for me tomorrow. I can't remember the model number. It is 1.2 output. That is quite strong. It is especially made for rechargeable batteries and has a light which indicates when battery reaches 20% which is time to recharge it again. They don't sell a lot of these type. Its mainly either mains fencers or 9v battery types. Going to give this a go. It needs to cover no more than 500 meters at any time. Hopefully I will get a few charges out of the battery. Have a charger/desulphator which should help battery life.

Bought a pel fencer today in the coop. Well I ordered it based on the one in the display. They will have it for me tomorrow. I can't remember the model number. It is 1.2 output. That is quite strong. It is especially made for rechargeable batteries and has a light which indicates when battery reaches 20% which is time to recharge it again. They don't sell a lot of these type. Its mainly either mains fencers or 9v battery types. Going to give this a go. It needs to cover no more than 500 meters at any time. Hopefully I will get a few charges out of the battery. Have a charger/desulphator which should help battery life.
Think my fencers range from 1.2j to 6j

Excuse the box . It's been on top of a press in a corner of a shed. I didn't realise it had such firepower , on paper. No wonder it uses battery power . I took it at the time, as it was in stock and I needed it immediately for an outfarm . I knew to my cost electrically what it's capable of :cry::scared:
20190911_213322.jpg 20190911_214737.jpg

I have this for a good few years , on another bit of ground .only on 13 acres . The same type battery could easily do 2 months on this fencer . Would shorter wire account for that ?
Fantastic backup from Cheta I have to say
20190911_213436.jpg

Excuse the box . It's been on top of a press in a corner of a shed. I didn't realise it had such firepower , on paper. No wonder it uses battery power . I took it at the time, as it was in stock and I needed it immediately for an outfarm . I knew to my cost electrically what it's capable of :cry::scared:
View attachment 69790 View attachment 69791

I have this for a good few years , on another bit of ground .only on 13 acres . The same type battery could easily do 2 months on this fencer . Would shorter wire account for that ?
View attachment 69792
The Cheetah has a fast and slow pulse setting which will save battery life once the stock are use to it.

View attachment 69790 View attachment 69791

View attachment 69792

Pel 401 I think is what I am getting this evening or tomorrow. Not cheap at €210, but has good specs. I had a bullock jump through a 3ft sheep wire and 2 strand of barb wire fence last week to a neighbours heifer that was bulling. When I say through, I mean through, not over. He's not a rig either - he's very visibly not packing anything in his holster. I started last week and ran a single strand of electric fence on these posts and he is having manners. I'm using a borrowed fencer for this week (borrowed from another field of my own where cattle are used to an electric fence.), but want to have it all up and running for the weekend. He touched the wire once and won't go near it again.

Back