Ford/New Holland

Sounds mad running it on the 1000rpm box are u saving any diesel, the tractor must be under fair pressure.
she is alright. i dont know how had dad gets her moving while the pto is running. a turbo kit wouldve been nice on her but she is at 9600hrs and realistically the engine would want to be reconditioned and such to take the extra power

she is alright. i dont know how had dad gets her moving while the pto is running. a turbo kit wouldve been nice on her but she is at 9600hrs and realistically the engine would want to be reconditioned and such to take the extra power

Turbo is unlikely to give you the low down torque you need for what you are discussing, at low revs the turbo won’t be spinning fast enough to force more induction and give you the HP you require. Its Torque you need, not necessarily more power at rated speed.

Have I got this right. You run it in 1000 to save diesel and it’s underpowered so you think adding a turbo will run it at 1000 and use the same diesel?? Or buy a bigger tractor to save diesel??

I’d really love to see the figures on diesel use behind this ? Maybe try running it at the speed it was designed for and see how much it uses?

Have I got this right. You run it in 1000 to save diesel and it’s underpowered so you think adding a turbo will run it at 1000 and use the same diesel?? Or buy a bigger tractor to save diesel??
Doesn't make any sense to me either, but sure what to we know........

talked to my old man as i'm nvr around when he uses the diet feeder. she is never really under any pressure when you are throwing in a bit of pit silage, some straw and such. the pressure comes on when he decides to put in a round bale of silage or gets moving. diesel comes into it as he is not revving it right up to 1900rpm because he is in 1000 speed and only needs 1400rpm. but the main strain on the tractor comes on when he wants to get it moving

Well peak torque would be down at 1400 engine rpm but maximum pto power is produced at closer to rated engine speed, in the case of a 7840 540@1900 rpm or 1000@2100 rpm.
And in many cases a higher engine speed can actually be more efficient.
So if it's power your looking for,
Rev her up !

Last edited:
Was this big bus for sale before :scratchhead:

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1988-ford-tw25-super-q-mint-example/22905474

OTgxMTJhNTI3ZTQ3YjE5ZTM4NjhjODNiYTVkMmFlMWI8ZVED6KHHDOxsek2RK6qiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzIwMjAxMDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I still think I'd prefer a TM for the money though:scared:

There was one knocking around locally in the past year .She was slow as a hearse ,heard the contractor who had her hired in drawing silage was robbed filling it with diesel

There was one knocking around locally in the past year .She was slow as a hearse ,heard the contractor who had her hired in drawing silage was robbed filling it with diesel

I heard a few lads put a tm or 60 series engine in them to give a few more ponies and help fuel consumption dont know if its truth or lies though

Many years ago we had two TWs a 20 and a 15. They were fine in their day but any TM would light years ahead of them in every way absolutely no comparison. I think that is mad money for a TW.
I think I asked you on a different thread but maybe I didn't.
How do you get on with the lwb tms

We have a TM175 brought in from England 7 or 8 years ago. It wouldn’t have huge hours up, mainly used for pulling a six furrow plough and a 8x4x3 baler and she is well able to handle both.Hasn’t given much trouble apart from steering pump and a damper plate. I wouldn’t be a fan of the PC transmission it seems very dead on the road at trailer work, even with the power boost.All in we would be very happy with it and it was brought very cheap at the time.

Pick a model. The t6 - gearbox bearings from a pram, front axle drive shaft is worse than a robin reliant, light control panel from a Russian rocket, brake valve failures, premature syncro failures, soft brake pistols, electro hyd valves need to be changed regular. Like that's all major stuff. You couldn't name the same failures like in an equivalent MF.

Second Massey locally in the past month lost its back wheel while on the road at grain haulage lucky no one was injured/killed but their far from bomb-proof tractors

I've seen a couple of them on yard scrapers lately. Not as clean as that one mind you, but it goes to show the way times have moved on

That just shows how backward I am depending on a 40 year old 47hp tractor for a lot of jobs :sweat::sweat: much more onerous than yard scraping!

Back