What are you up to in the workshop?

Servicing the jd 6610.

Changed fuel filter.
Left the lift pump running for a while as per usual.
Would not start at all.
If I had airlocked her then she would have run for a short time whilst using up fuel from the lines?

Now battery light has been on last few days (was meaning to get round to it...) but started on the button.
Was it just running the lift pump that pushed her over the edge?

Lift pump could be goosed, are the o rings on the filter correct? Especially the one between the sediment bowl and filter

Servicing the jd 6610.

Changed fuel filter.
Would not start at all.
If I had airlocked her then she would have run for a short time whilst using up fuel from the lines?

Now battery light has been on last few days (was meaning to get round to it...) but started on the button.
Surely it is just the battery run out of power after a few days of work without charging?

Surely it is just the battery run out of power after a few days of work without charging?
Yeah. Thinking the battery might be goosed in general tbh. She's on mixer wagon duties and ours tends to be hard on batteries.
Left her on charge over night. Will sest things in the morning.

Yeah. Thinking the battery might be goosed in general tbh. She's on mixer wagon duties and ours tends to be hard on batteries.
Left her on charge over night. Will sest things in the morning.
Charged overnight and no go this morning.
New battery and check the altenator it is!

What's happening is it turning over and not firing or just not turning over?
New battery hasn't solved it.

Turning over and not firing.

Didn't even try to fire which is making me think that it isn't airlock.

Put a clear pipe on the lift pump and see if there's air in the system. Did you take the line off the filter and see if its pushing fuel trough? Check lines coming from tank to see if they are perished? Blow air back into the tank and see if its restricted. Otherwise pressurize the tank and see if you get diesel coming out somewhere. Easiest way to see if you have a leak

Reactions: AYF
Maybe try and slacken the pipes at the injectors, I had to do it once to get a digger going, and it took a bit of turning over as well to get her going

Any chance the stop solenoid is goosed, bit of a coincidence if it is the same time as you done filters.

Fill to the brim with diesel, then plenty of pumping of the lift pump to get existing air out, this can eliminate some air locking problems temporarily. You'll know if the old battery has a decent cranking speed, the diodes are probably cooked in the alternator if the light is on or glowing. Jump leads from a running vehicle should add enough amps to spin the engine over really fast and a couple of extra volts also will help. Open all injector pipes while cranking, tighten as they show fuel spitting out. Don't run starter for longer than ten second bursts to prevent cooking that too.

I’ve a couple of primer bulbs and an electric in line pump I use to fill the system to rule out lift pump faults,even been known to use a dosing gun to pull the fuel through.

In my bit of experience if a JD gets air in they're absolute sods to get going, most probably what it is. The filter is below the pump isn't it so would drain back once the filter is off?

Reactions: AYF
Servicing the jd 6610.

Changed fuel filter.
Would not start at all.

It's the broken wire I tell ye

Any news on the patient @AYF
Was air lock!
Got her started fairly easy once I got round to it. Looseded pipe from filter to pump, then an injector. All good.

Battery light still on though so waiting on a mate with a voltmeter to test the altenator.

I've mentioned my weird love of rehandling old tools before.

We inherited some tools recently from a relative that passed away. Amongst them was a well worn 7lb sledge. Ideal as my crew are starting to outgrow the 4lb one but are a long way off the 14pounder.

Bit of wire brush to remove the rust and mortar and then some shaping of a broken sledge handle to suit, followed by a posed family photo.

Dan's sledge shall pass on to another generation.

Attachments

• 20191004_174701-01.jpeg
    20191004_174701-01.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20191005_083342-01.jpeg
    20191005_083342-01.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 125
  • 20191005_083320-01.jpeg
    20191005_083320-01.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 132
Your post a reminds me . Broke the handle on the 3 prong fork the other evening . It was the new type in that it looks like the fork head is just driven in to the handle . Did someone here mention repairing similar ?
I've mentioned my weird love of rehandling old tools before.

We inherited some tools recently from a relative that passed away. Amongst them was a well worn 7lb sledge. Ideal as my crew are starting to outgrow the 4lb one but are a long way off the 14pounder.

Bit of wire brush to remove the rust and mortar and then some shaping of a broken sledge handle to suit, followed by a posed family photo.

Dan's sledge shall pass on to another generation.

Your post a reminds me . Broke the handle on the 3 prong fork the other evening . It was the new type in that it looks like the fork head is just driven in to the handle . Did someone here mention repairing similar ?
If it’s the one with the slight crank and a tube wrapped over the top of the handle you can buy the replacement handle with the tube on the bottom of it, just hammer the 3prong bit down out of the old handle and tap it back into the new one! Trying to fit a standard handle into them doesn’t work without welding the fork to the tube

Anyone know why some trailer manufacturer's use two pieces of channel welded together instead of a single piece of box for a drawbar?

Back