Winter Barley 2020

So looking at the weather for the week, when would you consider late to sow wb in kildare, only growing it 4-5 years, latest sown was October 2nd!, looking like nothing going to be sown this week, ploughed 2 weeks ago, a good dry field, are we ok up to end of October?

Are you getting tempted Cork??

I’ll see how the weather is at the end of the week. Plough and seed will be ready anyway.
Chance of rain on Thursday/Friday. If that doesn’t come and the following week looks as good as I hope it will be then I’ll start on Thursday or Friday coming.

So looking at the weather for the week, when would you consider late to sow wb in kildare, only growing it 4-5 years, latest sown was October 2nd!, looking like nothing going to be sown this week, ploughed 2 weeks ago, a good dry field, are we ok up to end of October?
I was always told that sowing conditions for barley is much more important than sowing date.
Wheat can be sowed in November, can barley?

I was always told that sowing conditions for barley is much more important than sowing date.
Wheat can be sowed in November, can barley?

The first time we hit 4tn of winter barley in plots, they were sown at the end of November.

If I was sure of the weather for a good Seedbed, I’d sow winter barley (and wheat) on the last days of October/early November.

The only issue is crows.

If you are south of Dundalk, a crop of winter barley established well in early November will out yield a crop of winter barley established well in the early days of October.
Less BYDV, less Take All, less disease.

The first time we hit 4tn of winter barley in plots, they were sown at the end of November.

If I was sure of the weather for a good Seedbed, I’d sow winter barley (and wheat) on the last days of October/early November.

The only issue is crows.

If you are south of Dundalk, a crop of winter barley established well in early November will out yield a crop of winter barley established well in the early days of October.
Less BYDV, less Take All, less disease.
False

I’ll see how the weather is at the end of the week. Plough and seed will be ready anyway.
Chance of rain on Thursday/Friday. If that doesn’t come and the following week looks as good as I hope it will be then I’ll start on Thursday or Friday coming.

Where are you getting this weather forecast from ?

we'd be North Midlands here happy to sow till end of Oct anyway. we thought in 2017 that it had gone to late and didn't sow some neighbours did sow first week of November and pulled finest of crips off it .so we'll not panic just yet

Have grown 4.5 tonne crops sown on 15th September. No idea why or why it didn’t always work out so well. Over the years I haven’t observed observed guaranteed yield increases from later drilling. Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn’t.

I once won a prize in Guinness's in Dublin for malting barley. It was a spring variety sown in mid November.

Took a spade for a walk here this evening.

We had a lot of rain yesterday and in recent weeks.

I cannot believe how good land is, you could happily plough here today both barley & WOSR stubble.
It’s not wet land but I was expecting it to be a lot stickier.

I think we are still reaping the benefits of 2018 summer.

View attachment 70566 View attachment 70567 View attachment 70568

Have you ever failed to get planned winter crops in, in years like 2012 etc?? Do you know your August and September rainfall figures?

With nice dry land like that you could consider contract rearing heifers. You’d have a very short winter, keeping costs down putting € in your pocket.

Have you ever failed to get planned winter crops in, in years like 2012 etc?? Do you know your August and September rainfall figures?

With nice dry land like that you could consider contract rearing heifers. You’d have a very short winter, keeping costs down putting € in your pocket.

Certainly have failed to sow autumn crops due to wet weather, just planted spring instead.
Are you asking about this year’s rainfall or average figures? Yes I know both.

I prefer crops to animals so I’ll pass on that one for now :Thumbp2:

Here’s the rainfall

89C3ABBC-A7D3-4451-AF88-5B3D10D3ADE9.png

Reactions: KJL

To rephrase your question.... “does he know he’s born?”

Has anyone chanced the plough yet? Walked a few bits this evening snd was surprised tbh. If it stays dry in morning I might chance the hill field as we call it, if it's not fit to plough then none of the rest will.
Would yis be turning up seed rate a touch due to wet or leave alone?

Has anyone chanced the plough yet? Walked a few bits this evening snd was surprised tbh. If it stays dry in morning I might chance the hill field as we call it, if it's not fit to plough then none of the rest will.
Would yis be turning up seed rate a touch due to wet or leave alone?
As I am a one man operation I have my 33ac ploughed collecting seed Friday so here’s hoping @CORK forecast is correct(he’s usually bang on).
Like you I am thinking I will get an extra few small bags to take it closer to 13st or 200kg/ha. Strong maybe but if I follow Teagasc figures for Infinity that’s where I should be heading.

As I am a one man operation I have my 33ac ploughed collecting seed Friday so here’s hoping @CORK forecast is correct(he’s usually bang on).
Like you I am thinking I will get an extra few small bags to take it closer to 13st or 200kg/ha. Strong maybe but if I follow Teagasc figures for Infinity that’s where I should be heading.
Same here, ploughed 2 weeks ago, and a few extra bags of Infinity got, I'll push the seed rate to 13.5st.

Back