What are you up to in the workshop?

Aye stick welder. About a box and a half of Hilco rods gone into it.

80mm box all round MF. 8 mill box in the bottom and 6 mill in the rest of the frame. It's a fair weight at that and we reckoned it's more then enough. The tines will snap before the frame twists.
Fine job, if your doing much of that type of job, I'd put a mig welder high up the wish list.
I'd say you would cut the welding time by half.
Did you bore the beam for the bushings yourself.?

If it’s the one with the slight crank and a tube wrapped over the top of the handle you can buy the replacement handle with the tube on the bottom of it, just hammer the 3prong bit down out of the old handle and tap it back into the new one! Trying to fit a standard handle into them doesn’t work without welding the fork to the tube
Picked up a handle the other evening. Got the head of the fork out of the old handle only to discover it’s a rectangle head that’s on it . New handle has round hole in it . Took back the handle only to be told that’s what they have . Hole was only 10mm where as the rectangle head of the fork is 16 x 10 . If I trued to tap that on you’d split the handle . Is there 2 types of replacement handle coop say no . Mind there a bunch of idiots the best of times .

Picked up a handle the other evening. Got the head of the fork out of the old handle only to discover it’s a rectangle head that’s on it . New handle has round hole in it . Took back the handle only to be told that’s what they have . Hole was only 10mm where as the rectangle head of the fork is 16 x 10 . If I trued to tap that on you’d split the handle . Is there 2 types of replacement handle coop say no . Mind there a bunch of idiots the best of times .
I think I might have opened out the hole a little alright but think it was a round hole on the one we got

Fine job, if your doing much of that type of job, I'd put a mig welder high up the wish list.
I'd say you would cut the welding time by half.
Did you bore the beam for the bushings yourself.?
A mig welder and plasma cutter are on the list some time. Tbh I'd nearly have more use for the plasma cutter then the welder. A local man with a very well setup metal shop has a computer guided plasma cutter and it was he we got to do the holes in the bottom beam.

The holes were fairly accurate but just to be sure we had all the bushes and tines in place on the floor before tacking them in place. I would say there's about 1000 to 1200 saving on that size fork over a bought one.

I ment the price difference in the bottom beam bought already with weldedin bushes instead of u haveing to get in bored and weld them yourself i think spaldings do them

A mig welder and plasma cutter are on the list some time. Tbh I'd nearly have more use for the plasma cutter then the welder. A local man with a very well setup metal shop has a computer guided plasma cutter and it was he we got to do the holes in the bottom beam.

The mig is some job, got one recently and really like it, I haven't done a while lot with it yet but am starting to figure out the adjustments and what to tweak to get a good finish.

20191011_131701.jpg
If you're only planning to cut 10mm and less with a plasma cutter keep an eye out in Lidl. I got one and it has saved me a lot of gas and cutting discs. For €130 you can't go wrong. The tip in mine needs replacing badly but it still cuts 10mm no problem.
20191011_123305.jpg 20191011_123215.jpg

Last edited:
Just compressed air (100 psi) and it comes with a 16 amp elec plug.
Hard to believe it doesn't use any gas!
Does it need the full 100psi to get through say 10mm? Think ours kinda runs out of poke around 85/90psi, I know it struggles to to get the ifor tyres up there

Does it need the full 100psi to get through say 10mm? Think ours kinda runs out of poke around 85/90psi, I know it struggles to to get the ifor tyres up there
The manual says 100 psi minimum but ours cuts in at 90 and out at 120. It'd run on less but the cut mightn't be as clean.

Blimey!
Does the comprrsson need any clever gadjets or filters?
No, the plasma cutter has its own hose and water separator, just plugs into your air compressor hose. Comes with typical Lidl hose ends instead of what I call standard PCL hose fittings.

Reactions: AYF
View attachment 70663
If you're only planning to cut 10mm and less with a plasma cutter keep an eye out in Lidl. I got one and it has saved me a lot of gas and cutting discs. For €130 you can't go wrong. The tip in mine needs replacing badly but it still cuts 10mm no problem.
View attachment 70661 View attachment 70662

Nice one to hear i seen it and was undecided taught it woulnt be a good buy but after seeing this i think for occasional use even on tinner steal its a no brainet . Are tips easily got for it

Nice one to hear i seen it and was undecided taught it woulnt be a good buy but after seeing this i think for occasional use even on tinner steal its a no brainet . Are tips easily got for it
It comes with two spare reversible tips and cones, I ordered a pack of 5 of each last week from local welding supplier and he said he can get them no problem. Don't know what they cost yet but I'd expect a couple of euro or so.

Tipa can most likely be gotten on a slow boat from China for pennies.

All the cheap plasmas use only one or two standard torches

Borrowing a voltmeter off a mate.
Just to confirm. For checking an altenator.

Check batery voltage with engine off.

Then with engine on.
If voltage is higher then altenator is working.

Borrowing a voltmeter off a mate.
Just to confirm. For checking an altenator.

Check batery voltage with engine off.

Then with engine on.
If voltage is higher then altenator is working.
When you have the engine running, you should be reading around 14 volts.
Then turn on electrical load ,(headlights, work lights , blower, etc.)
The load should pull down the voltage slightly (1/2 a volt)
A slight increase in engine rpm should help it recover.

Back